↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > The Germans make an incredible vacuum
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lateralus

United States 
The Germans make an incredible vacuum
I picked up a Miele canister vacuum over the summer and have been thoroughly impressed. The bags and filters keep everything really clean inside and out and the suction to low noise ratio is outstanding. Everything seems very well made for the most part. It's my first canister vacuum ever and I am liking the versatility of it compared to an upright. Apparently canister vacuums are more popular in the UK vs the US for some reason. I do not like the price however. I believe in the UK you can get one for about $500. In the US its about $1000 plus.

Anyhow, good job Germany. It doesnt quite make up for you guys electing Angela Merkel as chancellor, but who among us is perfect?
Post #740311 13th Nov 2018 6:58pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
My parents have had the same henry the hoover for over 25 years, not quite as strong as modern dysons, but gets the job done. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #740313 13th Nov 2018 7:02pm
Lateralus

United States 
I haven't been impressed with Dyson's at a glance. Seems like Chinese plastic and build at a premium price.
Post #740315 13th Nov 2018 7:08pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
+1 on Dyson. I think he has lost the plot.
We used to be big fans. but the past 3 Dyson's have been very poor.

A cordless jobby, with limited run time, whose expensive Li-ion battery packs kept failing after about a year and were very expensive to replace.
    The 1st of his completely filter-less canister models, where the collection bin was ridiculously small and impossible to empty without getting covered in everything that had been vacuumed up.
    The latest filter-less canister model (provided as a free of charge replacement after I complained directly to Sir James Dyson himself over the poor design of the previous model). This one is very heavy and uses thick plastic piping for the wand and attachments. All very clunky. The tubes would be better suited for drainage pipes in a field.

Despite getting the freeby from Dyson, we went out and bought a Miele C3 Complete Cat & Dog cylinder model. Much cheaper than a Dyson, 5 year guarantee, built to last, long flex, quiet in use, neat storage for the attachments, a proper metal main tube and loads of suction even when the bag is getting full. Easy to use and to empty.
I am afraid the Dyson hype over bagless technology, turbo motors, etc, etc now fails to impress.
Even with our hairy dog and quite a large house, the bags in the Miele last a long time and aren't expensive to buy in bulk.

It was £180 ($235) on an Amazon Prime deal earlier in the year. Best vacuum we have ever had.
Post #740337 13th Nov 2018 8:05pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
have had 3 Miele cylinder vacuums in the past 20 years and we abuse them, the only weak point appears to be the handle but replacements are cheap, also have a Miele washing machine that came with a 10 yr parts and labour warranty, its now about 15 years old and looks as good as the day we brought it with no failures, its used most days so has had a good thrashing. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #740342 13th Nov 2018 8:12pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
We've had a Miele for years don't ask me what make I've no idea but it works brilliant, I do know that much. The cordless Dyson is OK for small quick clear up jobs but I couldn't do the whole house the charge only lasts 20mins, constant emptying and gives me blisters Embarassed OMG why am I telling you this on a LR forum Shocked Embarassed Thud

The Miele do take some starting though... Rolling with laughter

https://media.giphy.com/media/NBuxl6dt66n3q/giphy.gif

Oh crap how do you embed a gif????? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #740344 13th Nov 2018 8:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The problem with the Dysons are price, size, battery capacity and components that are tool small I.e turbine brushes powered by a mini rubber belt and plastic gears.

Then again, I'm not a fan much of these handheld things anyway. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #740355 13th Nov 2018 8:53pm
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Have I logged onto the wrong forum or just opened up one of my wife’s forums here Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #740358 13th Nov 2018 9:02pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter
New thread: "What did you vacuum / Hoover your Defender with today?".

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #740361 13th Nov 2018 9:15pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Our local recycling centre always has piles of binned Dyson's which tells a story. Ours only lasted a couple of months.
We now have a Miele vacuum plus a Henry for the garage.

Also James Dyson always bangs on about British industry but manufactures and distributes from abroad. His centre in Malmesbury is basically a massive tax write off and vanity project. Numatic on the other hand, who make Henry's, manufacture here in Somerset.
Post #740363 13th Nov 2018 9:16pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Oakseywick wrote:
Have I logged onto the wrong forum or just opened up one of my wife’s forums here Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Mumsnet is pure gold, my mate swears by it for meeting women. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #740367 13th Nov 2018 9:26pm
Lateralus

United States 
lohr500 wrote:
+1 on Dyson. I think he has lost the plot.
We used to be big fans. but the past 3 Dyson's have been very poor.

A cordless jobby, with limited run time, whose expensive Li-ion battery packs kept failing after about a year and were very expensive to replace.
    The 1st of his completely filter-less canister models, where the collection bin was ridiculously small and impossible to empty without getting covered in everything that had been vacuumed up.
    The latest filter-less canister model (provided as a free of charge replacement after I complained directly to Sir James Dyson himself over the poor design of the previous model). This one is very heavy and uses thick plastic piping for the wand and attachments. All very clunky. The tubes would be better suited for drainage pipes in a field.

Despite getting the freeby from Dyson, we went out and bought a Miele C3 Complete Cat & Dog cylinder model. Much cheaper than a Dyson, 5 year guarantee, built to last, long flex, quiet in use, neat storage for the attachments, a proper metal main tube and loads of suction even when the bag is getting full. Easy to use and to empty.
I am afraid the Dyson hype over bagless technology, turbo motors, etc, etc now fails to impress.
Even with our hairy dog and quite a large house, the bags in the Miele last a long time and aren't expensive to buy in bulk.

It was £180 ($235) on an Amazon Prime deal earlier in the year. Best vacuum we have ever had.

Your miele was $235?!?

I think mine is a C3 as well with the powered floor brush. It was about 1300 with some other attachments and extra bags.
Post #740368 13th Nov 2018 9:26pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Osloblue - Till they say what a nice Jeep you have. Whistle Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #740369 13th Nov 2018 9:27pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
What are these vacuums you talk of ? Rolling with laughter

Due to environmental regulations we now have underpowered vacuum cleaners. It's not so bad for domestic stuff, but for commercial use they are really poor - even the new Henry's don't suck like they used to.

Saying all that, Numatic vacuums are as good as they get. We have two Dysons - corded and cordless. They do the job but I have to agree with you all about the build quality and iffy design. I have had no respect for Dyson since he moved the manufacture abroad. We also have a green metal Numatic (I don't think they make them anymore). Cracking bit of kit. Great for getting dog hair out of Defenders Thumbs Up

Maybe Def2 should have an alliance with Mumsnet?
Post #740370 13th Nov 2018 9:28pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I love my Henry hoover, it’s for garage use only but what a sucker Thumbs Up
Post #740371 13th Nov 2018 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>