↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Truck Cab Rear Window Channel Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Truck Cab Rear Window Channel Replacement
My rear window felts have seen better days. Having researched the topic it seems there are better performing alternatives to the OE felts.

I have read about the Woolies Trim seals, does anybody know which seal suits the Defender truck cab rear window? I am unable to measure due to being away from home. Is it a double seal or two single seals? I can't remember off the top of my head, seem to recall it being two separate channels/seals?

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk

I am all ears if anybody has other suggestions/recommendations
Post #739836 11th Nov 2018 2:20pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
For closure on this, the following thread answered my question https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/68899-defender-windows/

Trim:
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1649/small-window-channel

Method:
1. Remove the window lock so that you can slide back and forth without hangups.

2. Using a flat head driver scrape out old felt from top and side channels - Note make sure you gently pull the felt out from under the part of the channel that is never exposed, you don't want to leave that in the way for later step.

3. Using flat head and pliers remove bits of plastic from bottom channel (not necessary if your bottom plastic runners are still in good shape) - Note make sure you gently pull the hard plastic out from under the window, don't break it off until it is clear.

4. leave your new felt/rubber channel in one long role, start at the top by slowly feeding it from the open side to the fixed side as you move the window back and forth push it along above the window until you can grab the tag end with pliers and pull to the rubber window stop. (do not glue in place).

5. then work it around in one long piece until you get to the bottom side of the sliding window

6. measure and cut the remaining length for what you will need to complete the job.

7. again work it under the slider until you can pull and run to stop.

8. I then pulled both corners out a bit and trimmed the sides where the bend forced it to bunch up so that the glass can seat properly.

9. Glue in place if you wish. I will leave unglued for a while to make sure all is well. my only concern is the lower channel where it should be able to drain rain water away. will see.
Post #740011 12th Nov 2018 12:02pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Thanks Hank - that's now on my list
Post #740023 12th Nov 2018 12:35pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
That looks decent.

Right now I'm rocking the environmental friendly moss look.
Post #740030 12th Nov 2018 1:11pm
darthdicky

United Kingdom 
Having done this recently I can confirm you need 4m of trim to do both tracks. I found it a really tough job to get the old plastic/metal channel out and the new trim wouldn't fit with it left in there but it is possible eventually. Silicone spray really helps to slide the new stuff into place. I cut a few holes in the bottom for water to drain out but didn't need to do anything on the corners - just getting it to the right place and then leaving the window shut in place helped it form the right shape.

It was a horrible job but my rear window doesn't rattle now!
Post #910706 4th Jul 2021 1:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1