↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Twin spare wheel carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
How about a Wolf-style mount on each side?
Post #69465 3rd May 2011 10:29am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
you mean on the side? Its a 90 SW to not sure how that would work
Post #69466 3rd May 2011 10:31am
blackwolf

BigMike wrote:
you mean on the side? Its a 90 SW to not sure how that would work

Not very well then! Laughing
Post #69484 3rd May 2011 12:45pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
BigMike wrote:
and also a clamp for a roof tent ladder which I desperately want so I dont need to put a dirty ladder in the tent.

I seem to recall that Autohome does a ladder bag to overcome that problem Mike. Just a long rectangular bag with a draw cord so not too difficult to get one knocked up.

Brendan
Post #69491 3rd May 2011 1:48pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
You could sell you maggolina and buy the one with the roof rack built in Thumbs Up

We had a chat with chris about them to store both a canoe and spare on - but went for the safari in the end. Mike
Post #69525 3rd May 2011 5:51pm
Tazz

United Kingdom 
Re: Twin spare wheel carrier
BigMike wrote:
Tazz wrote:
BigMike wrote:
Does anyone know of one? Second can't go on the roof (Magiolina on there) or the bonnet, or the side panels as its a SW.

Why can't you bonnet mount it?

Tazz

W hat sonic said. Also there is no room on the underside of the bonnet on a puma to strengthen the mount.

Ah! It wasn't clear from the OP that it was a Puma, just a defender. Sad So the answer must be sell it,and buy a TD5 Whistle
Very Happy

Tazz
Post #69594 3rd May 2011 11:12pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Quote:
Ah! It wasn't clear from the OP that it was a Puma, just a defender. So the answer must be sell it,and buy a TD5

Tazz

This forum is primarily a puma forum! Mike
Post #69622 4th May 2011 11:06am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:
BigMike wrote:
and also a clamp for a roof tent ladder which I desperately want so I dont need to put a dirty ladder in the tent.

I seem to recall that Autohome does a ladder bag to overcome that problem Mike. Just a long rectangular bag with a draw cord so not too difficult to get one knocked up.

Brendan

They do, and I have one (velcro top rather than drawstring), but inevitably the bag gets full of dust and sand both inside and out, and after a day or two it loses its effectiveness and bedding gets dirty. Plus, with pillows, duvet, blanket and some spare clothes up there, adding the ladder inside makes it more precise in terms of ladder on a diagonal and other things arranged around it to make the clamshell come down and secure without messing about - not what I enjoy doing at 6am in the dark Laughing

I've just been told by someone (close to you brendan) that I can have a twin wheel carrier which they have, and also that the heavy duty single carrier they have been developing may well be able to be modified to carry both second spare and ladder. They are modifying the design a little to allow for a longer bracket (my idea actually, get me Laughing ) so that should be available shortly.

Thanks for the help everyone - if anyone is interested, once I have it i'll post up a pic of the 2 wheel carrier assuming its suitable
Post #69634 4th May 2011 1:04pm
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Just to add something to the ladder issue, I use a telescopic ladder that has it's own bag and stow that in the Defender rather than in the tent - saves the dirty bedding problem. Also, as the ladder collapses down much smaller, it stows easier.

On the spare wheel front, I know you have it covered now, but have you seen the mountings available for the bonnet? I seem to remember a French company brought them out but have only ever seen one in use. It was on a TD5, mind, but as it incorporated a complete frame (to remove stress from the weak TD5 bonnet), this may provide enough space to clear the puma bump. Just a thought......

Tony
Post #69638 4th May 2011 1:34pm
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
This is what you have seen, I like it. May get one when I have run out of important stuff to buy Smile

http://www.difflock.com/magazine/4x4_Gear/...ount.shtml
Post #69649 4th May 2011 3:26pm
blackwolf

Steve B wrote:
This is what you have seen, I like it. May get one when I have run out of important stuff to buy Smile

http://www.difflock.com/magazine/4x4_Gear/...ount.shtml

An interesting product! I like the way the blurb describes it as "neat and unobtrusive", it is neat, but - at least with a whell on it - unobtrusive it ain't!

One of these on a Puma (if it was available) might make it harder to nick the bonnet; with the wheel locked on the mount the bonnet wouldn't open far enough to lift off. I doubt you could see where you were going though, especially with a 285 on it.

On a serious note, I always understood that the bonnet mount was deleted due to crash-worthiness regulations, since in the event of a frontal impact it comes through the windscreen and kills the front seat occupants. How would fitting one of these affect type approval and insurance?
Post #69650 4th May 2011 3:58pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
daviec1 wrote:
Maybe Sonic can answer this, as it has come up before.

Does his carrier not have the strength to cope with a second wheel mounted piggy back style just using longer bolts.

I would happily mount 2 wheels to one of my carriers Thumbs Up the weak link is the Landrover crossmember Whistle
Post #69651 4th May 2011 4:04pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Presumably that's why the kaymar is two arms, one for each side to spread the load. Were talking about 40 ish kg per wheel/tyre and I'm not sure how the crossmember would cope with all that on a single mount

Then again, I've just bought a landcruiser so that would solve the problem Laughing
Post #69653 4th May 2011 4:22pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
My carrier is mounted both sides of the crossmember Thumbs Up I can stand on my carrier right on the outside of it in the open position and it doesn`t move and i`m no light weight Rolling with laughter even with a Kaymar my concern is the 2 and 3mm the crossmember is made from. What LC have you bought?
Post #69654 4th May 2011 4:32pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
a '96 80 series 4.2 diesel manual. it looks like a chicken farm at the moment. in fact I think it was being used as one Laughing . Need a lot of work.
Post #69655 4th May 2011 4:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>