↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Not entirely sure how to title this...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Not entirely sure how to title this...
Some people are just beyond belief. Shocked

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crim...18661.html

A mate of mine used to ask when I was serving, why I was doing it given the morons taking over the British Isles. This does make me question why? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #738819 5th Nov 2018 7:05pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Morons, for sure. All you can do is keep these things in perspective really There has probably always been about the same number of morons in the world, it's just that smartphone and social media mean they can make their presence felt more widely than used to be the case.

The thing that article reminds me is how the George Cross has been semi-hijacked to become a symbol for folk with very unpleasant views. It's wrong I know, but the first thought that crosses my mind these days when I see one flying outside a house is not a positive one. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #738825 5th Nov 2018 7:22pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Shocking and sickening.
I really hope there is enough in the footage to identify the people behind it and that the full weight of the law is brought down on them. I've no idea what they could be charged with, but there must be some legislation in place to cover such an abhorrent act.
Post #738828 5th Nov 2018 7:24pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
who's bright idea was that in making small replica of a disaster? are they right in the head!!! A lot of lives were lost! Some times I really do wonder about people Rolling Eyes When I was a kid /teenager we wouldn't have even thought about building a replica of the twin towers! Just shows you how bad the generations are getting! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #738832 5th Nov 2018 7:40pm
WindyJ

Moron is too kind a description for them. That said, it’s not a crime and shouldn’t be one to behave like a dickhead in your private garden....
Different type of judgement due for the idiots better than wasting taxpayer money on them.
Post #738836 5th Nov 2018 7:49pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Bluest wrote:
Morons, for sure. All you can do is keep these things in perspective really There has probably always been about the same number of morons in the world, it's just that smartphone and social media mean they can make their presence felt more widely than used to be the case.

The thing that article reminds me is how the George Cross has been semi-hijacked to become a symbol for folk with very unpleasant views. It's wrong I know, but the first thought that crosses my mind these days when I see one flying outside a house is not a positive one.

True.
Post #738839 5th Nov 2018 8:03pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Whilst i think its in bad taste and not funny, i think people overreacted to it all.

Five people turned themselves in, and were subsequently arrested under public order offences
"section 4a of the Public Order Act 1986, which covers intentional "harassment, alarm or distress" caused via the use of "threatening, abusive or insulting" words or signs"

Which I think is overreacting considering that this was held on private property.

Some commentator on the BBC even went as far as saying its a hate crime, and is racist.

She went on to praise the police for acting so speedily despite the fact they turned themselves in. Its not like the police have better things to do like investigate stabbings. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #738968 6th Nov 2018 9:42am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
My neighbour and I (he's a grumpy old sod as well) have just been catching up on local, national and international gossip. The first topic was why on earth would anyone make a replica of Grenfell Tower and then set fire to it? Why did someone steal our street poppies over the weekend and why would someone extoll the virtues of barbed wire and how beautiful it is?

Unfortunately there are some ar5e holes in the world but they are still out numbered by the good guys, unfortunately social media tends to be full of the former and not enough good news. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #738983 6th Nov 2018 10:41am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Discomog, I tend to disagree with you, i don't think good people out number bad people, i think people who are trying to get on with there lives outnumber the good people, And these middle people do some good things and some bad things when required to advance themselves... that is human nature. Its very rare that you meet an inherently bad person, a lot of the bad people i know have hearts of gold, whereas some of the inherently good people are absolute psychopaths just trying a facade. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #738993 6th Nov 2018 11:34am
WindyJ

OsloBlue wrote:
Whilst i think its in bad taste and not funny, i think people overreacted to it all.

Five people turned themselves in, and were subsequently arrested under public order offences
"section 4a of the Public Order Act 1986, which covers intentional "harassment, alarm or distress" caused via the use of "threatening, abusive or insulting" words or signs"

Which I think is overreacting considering that this was held on private property.

Some commentator on the BBC even went as far as saying its a hate crime, and is racist.

She went on to praise the police for acting so speedily despite the fact they turned themselves in. Its not like the police have better things to do like investigate stabbings.

Agreed, moronic dickheads but to waste public services time on it is just as equally moronic especially considering the epidemic level of violence in London at moment.
Post #738998 6th Nov 2018 12:16pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
It's in bad taste but i think the reaction to it is ridiculously OTT and, ironically, has given the perpetrators the exposure they probably wanted in the first place. People are posting this video all over the place, including here, in order to show how appalled they are by it and those responsible are probably sat at home watching their video "go viral".

The irony being that, with time passing, it seems that burning a "model" of a human is perfectly fine and takes place at thousands of sites around the UK every year without comment. At the same time burning one model of a building is abhorrent. Obviously we should go back to burning people instead as it's less offensive, apparently. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #739001 6th Nov 2018 12:46pm
WindyJ

Ah but the model man you speak of is white you see, so there is no virtue signalling to be had in being offended about it.
Post #739004 6th Nov 2018 1:12pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Totally agree with davew and WindyJ above, as poor taste as it is, it seems a complete overreaction, just to emphasise that, a local satirical article sums it up with huge irony -

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2018/11/06/pe...kgl_kOnShw
Post #739006 6th Nov 2018 1:15pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
yes sick but arguably having bonfires and celebrating guy fawkes etc is also sick?

to my mind resources should be put into catching and castrating those going round stabbing and killing people. in the grand scheme of things I'd suggest it's fairly harmless - yes bad taste but if we were worry about everything that's deemed bad taste we be struggling.
Post #739008 6th Nov 2018 1:56pm
Lateralus

United States 
Can these guys be prosecuted in the UK? In America this would be considered bad taste and inflammatory but perfectly legal.

Also I had heard that some people made a theatrical play about the murder of Katie Hopkins. I am assuming this would be illegal? I admit to being ill informed on UK law and cultural matters.
Post #739204 7th Nov 2018 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>