↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Spots boomslang
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
Spots boomslang
Hi can anyone help me wiring spots Whilt using a boomslang headlight harness kit . Thanks gerry
Post #738364 3rd Nov 2018 9:46am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Have the spots come with loom for them? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #738367 3rd Nov 2018 10:15am
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
The Boomslang loom takes it's power from one headlight plug in the main loom, leaving one spare. I plugged my Boomslang into the passenger side headlight plug because it was closer to the main power supply (300tdi). I used the high beam on the drivers side plug as a power supply for the spots.
Post #738368 3rd Nov 2018 10:17am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
From memory, I think that’s what I did too. The spots need to be fed through their own relay with the existing headlamp main beam acting as the trigger for the relay only. OP can decide if he wants s switch to choose if the headlights come on with main beam or not. If there isn’t a relay loom supplied with the lights, you can buy one from Landreiziger. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #738375 3rd Nov 2018 10:51am
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
Thats what i was hoping to do , Use the reduntant to trigger the relay via a isolator switch , . Am i correct in that redundant via switch to 85 relay , 86 earth , 87 live to spots , 30 live from batt to relay .
Post #738389 3rd Nov 2018 12:47pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
I do have a plug n play spot light kit , which i was hoping to do was use it minus the headlight plugs on 85 take it off the relay And run a wire from the reduntant via a switch to the relay 85 and wire the spotlight kit as normal . But I need to know in previous post have I got the relay connections correct . It's a 4 pin relay . But came without a isolator switch . thanks gerry
Post #738394 3rd Nov 2018 1:12pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
You need to connect the trigger wire to pin 86:

How a switch is included in the circuit depends what type of switch you're using. The standard LR button switches earth, for example, and so needs to be connected in series with pin 85:

Click image to enlarge

If it's a more straightforward switch then it could be in series with pin 86, particularly if it has internal illumination. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #738419 3rd Nov 2018 3:35pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
It's a illuminated push pull switch I have coming durite 10 amp , Thanks for the diagrams , I'm sure I wil be able to do it now .Reduntant hi beam via switch to 86 as in diagram 1 , and wire the rest as per . I was nearly right , So thanks for saving me blowing my lamps or new head lights or even worse . I can get on with it now and do it properly . Again thanks to everyone for all the help . I totally was confused with using the Boomslang and not knowing if it was ok to use the reduntant plug to trip the relay .
Post #738432 3rd Nov 2018 4:38pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The diagrams LRA has posted above tells you all you need to know to configure what you want.
There are two choices there, depending on what you want.

I have mine on the most simple diagram main beam triggered on/off, for the reason that it's most simple and reliable.
Each to their own of course, but I wouldn't want them switched separately personally as they'd hardly ever be used at all.

I would also keep your spotlight wiring completely independent of your headlight loom.
The trigger can be taken from a main beam female pin on the standard LR H4 headlight connector.
(The opposite side to the plug you used as your add in headlight loom trigger.)

Then this way, it adds another fail safe incase there was any issue with the upgrade headlight loom.

Some headlight looms share a power feed in, others such as the Land Reiziger. (Which I have are independent.)
This means that each and every feed is fuse protected in its own right, and is very important in my opinion in case of failiure.

Really the choice is yours, but I would bear this in mind.

Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #738434 3rd Nov 2018 4:47pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
Maybe should of added its a defender 300tdi 1996 . So no fancy switches . I won't always want the spots to work on hi beam and why I want a switch . I will use the simple diagram but use a switch to isolate the spots or have the spots work when on hi beam , Not have them work just by a switch independently .
Post #738436 3rd Nov 2018 5:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1