↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Sometimes OE parts are best
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Sometimes OE parts are best
My TD5 needed a new exhaust, l took it to my local LR lndy as they were going to fit an “OE” but when l returned they had fitted a Britpart system.
It worked, but was not a great fit and was boomy at motorway speeds. First of all l replaced the rear section with an OE, which cost me nearly £200
But it was a work of art, with perfect welds, and fitted perfectly. Then l replaced the centre section, this time with a new “take off” OE part at £50.
The OE part was dead when tapped with a spanner but the Britpart one rang like a bell.

But after that the booming noise was gone.

Then l tried a decat pipe, but had to refit the CAT as it was too noisy at motorway speeds. Eventually last month l fitted an OE decat pipe which cost £168....nearly three times the price of the aftermarket item.

Guess what (and this was a surprise as it looked similar) it was as quiet as the CAT pipe!

Sometimes it just has to be OE, despite the price.
Post #738309 2nd Nov 2018 10:24pm
Dobby

Christ, don’t get me started on pattern part exhausts.. I had a h3ll of a time with an aftermarket one a while back. I won’t mention who made it, as they did own up in the end. But the hangers were in the wrong place, the ends didn’t fit into each other and one section even had a pipe welded on at the wrong angle. It was shockingly bad.

I seem to remember LR parts desk having a cross section of OE and pattern exhausts, years ago, demonstrating the difference.
Post #738318 2nd Nov 2018 10:37pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
It was the aftermarket decat pipe that surprised me the most, as it looked good and fitted fine. But there was a booming noise at motorway speeds.
The LR one looked no different except for the flexible joint but there’s no booming at all at motorway speeds. It must be a thicker steel, or some sort of acoustic tuning.
Post #738362 3rd Nov 2018 9:12am
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I had a britpart full system fitted at the same time as having my gearbox done. The original had done 16 years and it was only the flanges that were too corroded to make it possible to refit successfully.

The exhaust is louder but not intrusively so and I soon got used to it. The fit is appalling however and the centre box is huge. 2002 110 td5
Post #738705 5th Nov 2018 7:57am
AJC

United Kingdom 
I modified my britpart exhaust to fit properly, this included taking 10mm out of centre section and heating up and bending a curve more
Post #738711 5th Nov 2018 8:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1