Home > Td5 > TD5 takes forever to warm up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bigfatsi

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Aintree Green
TD5 takes forever to warm up
Hi,

My 2002 TD5 110CSW seems to take an age to warm up, especially now it's getting a bit more autumnal. I suppose it's only really about 7-8 miles to come up to normal on the gauge, but for warm air it's seems like much more and it never gets passed lukewarm.

I know they're not the warmest engine in the world and I will (one day) service the heater box and matrix, but is there anything (hopefully simple and cheap) I could do or diagnose?

I've seen a bit of dried red coolant evidence around the expansion tank lid recently (although it could've been there since 2002 for all I know - I've not had it long). It's done about 4000 miles with me and the coolant level hasn't moved a bit, but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be a 'bit' pressurised to work efficiently, or am I wrong? Could the cap be the culprit? Or the stat?

I presume it's an easy(ish) job to replace the thermostat and cap just in case, but in which case, which antifreeze do I need? Just any 'red' stuff?

Sorry for all the Q's...

TIA

S
Post #737382 29th Oct 2018 2:35pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
My TD5 used to take ages to get warm air into the cabin and, in my case, the fix was simple and is a known problem.

Set your heater control lever in the cab to maximum heat.
Open the bonnet and on the top of the heater box you will see a lever with a cable attached. Note it’s position and then put the heater control to cold in the cab. Check in the engine bay that the lever has moved. If it has then you have the correct heat control cable.

Now put the cab lever back to max heat. In the engine bay undo the grub screw holding the cable to the lever so that the lever can be moved but the inner part of the cable stays in place. Now push the lever as far right as it will go and clamp the inner cable back to it with the grub screw.

You now have full movement on the heater control and, hopefully, more heat.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #737392 29th Oct 2018 4:08pm
bigfatsi

Thanks Bob. That's something I can do tonight.

Cheers!

S
Post #737393 29th Oct 2018 4:17pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
mt td5 was the same, took ages to heat up, i fitted heated seat pads. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #737394 29th Oct 2018 4:17pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
You could also check the thermostat for two reasons.
1. to make sure it is working correctly
2. Some Td5's were fitted with the incorrect thermostat just like some of the 300 series were, they were fitted with hot weather instead of cold weather thermostats.. Its only a 5 degree temp difference . Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #737410 29th Oct 2018 6:04pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
As generally said above, its best to check the basics before adding heated seats etc and spending loads of money unecessarily, my td5 heater is fine, yes it takes a bit longer to warm up as the weather gets colder, but I do have to turn the heat down after 15-20 mins as it's too warm for me. A heated front screen is a good idea on a defender though, and not too expensive to add.

Obviously everyone is different on their expectations and how they feel comfortably warm so it's difficult to know, I generally don't like to be really hot, others do!

Mike
Post #737414 29th Oct 2018 6:23pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
TD5s are famously slow to warm up, due to being relatively efficient (and hence wasting less energy in the form of heat). This is the reason that LR offered a fuel-burning heater as an option on the TD5 Discovery 2.

My Disco, which does not have an FBH, takes about 5 or 6 miles to generate any degree of warmth from the heater, and has always been like this (I bought it new). My Puma Defender is whacking out warm air in about half this distance.
Post #737415 29th Oct 2018 6:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
What you need is a decent rad muff Whistle

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64296.html Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #737471 29th Oct 2018 9:26pm
bigfatsi

Thanks for the replies.

The car already has heated screen and heated seats (XS Spec?) although personally I think heated is a bit to strong a word for the miserable output of the seats. A good curry the night before warms the seats up better, if you know what I mean.

This morning I took Bob's advice and got another few degrees movement on the pivot and a few degrees more in the cab! Winner!

I've also got a Thermostat to fit. So it's just any 'red' antifreeze?

Many thanks!

S
Post #737530 30th Oct 2018 9:56am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Anti-freeze colour isn't a reliable way to determine the type in my experience! What you want is OAT coolant. It's also worth doing a full drain and flush, as if someone has in the past put the wrong type in, it can react really badly with the OAT stuff.
Post #737558 30th Oct 2018 11:39am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Mine takes at least 5 miles before the guage moves up and the heater starts to work.
Good thing I've got heated seats and screen. Very Happy 
Post #737570 30th Oct 2018 1:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geobloke

United Kingdom 
If you are going to be replacing your thermostat in the near future could I persuade you to do a chemical flush of your coolant system at the same time?

On my TD5 it made an amazing difference to the heat-up time and the amount of heat generated when hot.

The heater flap is a great call. I will add that at the same time it is worth checking the condition of the thick foam seal between the intake plenum and the heater box. They degrade over time and are an easy and cheap DIY fix.

A radiator muff is also a good call, especially if you are an early morning short distance commuter. However, be mindful that if you are doing longer journeys you may have to pull over and roll the muff up if the engine is getting too hot. A proper temperature gauge is useful here.

Check for leaks or weeps around the hose unions and from the water pump. The latter has o-ring seals that are known to perish and fail. Might be an issue if the seals are old and a rad muff is installed to bump up the heat.

If you want more out of your heater then an upgraded heater element might be the way to go. It is said it is better, but I have not seen any information on actual output.

A few interesting observations from owning a MadMan gauge;

1) since upgrading to a bigger intercooler the overall engine temp is consistently lower than with the standard intercooler by 2-5 degC.

2) whilst cruising at 60-70 mph (since this frigid spell has begun) the coolant temperature hovers around the 70 degC mark, only heading toward 80-85 degC during prolonged acceleration and hills. As the thermostat is rated to open from 82 degC through to 96 degC then the radiator is basically redundant. I am tempted to buy a rad muff to see what actual difference that makes.

Perhaps an experiment is called for...

The ultimate "Heat-Up" test: Standard - Rad muff - no fan Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post #737574 30th Oct 2018 1:30pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
When mine was flushed out about 12 years ago a ton of rusty swarf piled up on the floor!
Good ol' Land Rover quality control. Confused 
Post #737583 30th Oct 2018 2:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
I feel sorry for you all!!
My TD5 is nice and warm within the 2 mile drive to work... Admittedly I run the engine for 10 mins or so before I leave the house. And my seats again are lovely and warm - almost HOT on my back long before I get to work.

I feel very lucky!

Tomorrow morning ill time/gauge distance and update if I remember.. Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #737592 30th Oct 2018 2:46pm
MJN110

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Montalcino Red
I have just followed Bob Nev advice and adjusted my heater control and I am well impressed with the improvement.
The extra movement was very small
Thanks Bob but why did I not think of that?
Still not as good as the furnace in my Puma! 2016 Defender Landmark 90
2005 Defender CSW TD5 90XS
Post #737599 30th Oct 2018 4:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>