↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Hit and run
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hit and run
According to the BBC news HERE hit and run cases have risen 45% in last 4 years up to 2017.

Now a selective quote from that report

Quote:

"What the research seems to be pointing to is that a fair proportion of hit-and-run collisions are related to drivers who tend not to have valid insurance, tend not to have a valid licence", he said.

Now is there a good call to have more traffic police/checks and stiffer sentences from the courts.

Victims of uninsured drivers can be covered by the MIB system but that is a cost on all drivers who have insurance policies.

Brendan
Post #737187 28th Oct 2018 12:25pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I also read about this and while it came as no surprise it is still worrying. Personally I would like to have more information on the demographic and nationality of those who break the law in this way or do young people make up the numbers as we all know the cost of young drivers insurance.

I also think the punishment for driving away from an accident particularly if later found to be without insurance or license should be more severe, immediate destruction of the car and prison in all cases although according to the figures that would mean building more prisons which of course will never happen. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #737196 28th Oct 2018 12:45pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
something needs to be done there is far more since the tax disc was abolished I think there should be a disc for insurance too with a driver id number so it can be checked it should not be big brother all the time but somethings need to be we pay insurance so should they
Post #737197 28th Oct 2018 12:51pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I was speaking to a copper recently and he reckoned the cost of insurance for young drivers was so high that many just take the chance and drive without legal cover. Any mishaps and they just run because they know they'll get done anyway.
Post #737198 28th Oct 2018 12:52pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
andydef90 wrote:
something needs to be done there is far more since the tax disc was abolished I think there should be a disc for insurance too with a driver id number so it can be checked it should not be big brother all the time but somethings need to be we pay insurance so should they

Bit of a problem there andy, fully comp, pool and Fleet drivers have complex insurance details. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #737209 28th Oct 2018 1:16pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
early on in the year we had at least 3 or maybe even 4 hit and runs. One was to do with drugs I think. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #737330 29th Oct 2018 7:06am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Zed wrote:
I was speaking to a copper recently and he reckoned the cost of insurance for young drivers was so high that many just take the chance and drive without legal cover. Any mishaps and they just run because they know they'll get done anyway.

insurance companies just take the Censored , some are buying lease cars with free insurance now. The cars they are buying are more powerful now and they are letting the power go to their heads. Causing crashes. My mate nearly had a head on with a 19 year old, who was been a cocky Censored . Insurances need to wind back their prices lot more for young drivers. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #737331 29th Oct 2018 7:11am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
wouldn't drive in Birmingham without a dash cam, I got hit from behind a few years ago by a someone whom then denied even being there, he was in his 30s and the car was insured in his dads name only. Fortunately I took a photo of the car that hit me at the scene and had a witness, the case went all the way to court.

Stupid thing being if he had owned up and given me £50 for a quick bumper blow over I would have walked away.

I eventually got paid out but unsure where the money came from as I left it to the solicitors, possibly MIB.

unfortunately there are so many dishonest people about, in my case it appeared they thought it was OK to think they can drive on one licence and share the same name, and then wiggle out of it when one of them has a bump by simply denying they were even there.

photos get photos get photos, of the car and the driver DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #737332 29th Oct 2018 7:24am
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
LR90XS2011 wrote -
"... unfortunately there are so many dishonest people about, in my case it appeared they thought it was OK to think they can drive on one licence and share the same name, and then wiggle out of it when one of them has a bump by simply denying they were even there. ... "

Ah yes, the "family license", happens quite a bit around here too, especially evident when you see the standard of driving.

Arguably, just as bad are the multiple cars with a single identity, one tax payment, one insurance and one MOT for maybe 4 or five cars, unfortunately, there are certain cultures where this kind of thing is perfectly acceptable.

Then of course if you don't have access to a "family license" there's always this way -

Click image to enlarge

Posters blatantly displayed around Rochdale Evil or Very Mad
Post #737342 29th Oct 2018 9:26am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
/\

and for an extra £5er kiddy grooming too I'll bet?
Post #737358 29th Oct 2018 11:44am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I think uninsured drivers are totally polar opposite, they’re either kids in bangers, or people who are old to know better and have a flash car, but can’t afford the insurance.

Funnily enough I’ve never heard of family insurance, shared MOT and liscense. Shared MOT I can see ways round through duplicated or swapped VINs and duplicated plates on identical models, but insurance and liscence? Are these people who insist on just being called by there surnames and sometimes titles?

All the people I know, including myself that have been crashed into by uninsured drivers, have all been drivers of more expensive cars, Maserati, overfinch, Audi, BMW and Mercedes. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #737363 29th Oct 2018 12:23pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I have seen Family licences etc on police camera action or was it traffic cops. Its funny how they think they can get away with it but they sharp get busted. Sometimes you cannot take hold of the arsehole and give them a slapping. One of the lads at where I used to work, His mrs got shunted, and the person tried to take her phone off her! Police sharp done them for that as they were not insured. His Mrs had not long bought the car either, so she was really Censored with that, Only had the car a fortnight and then some uninsured driver hits it.

Going by driving standards, I have seen some people drive like they have one hour to live! One fella pulled out right out in front of me while I was on the aroundabout. Lucky I wasn't driving fast! As a bus did the same thing to him, i nearly put the car into the bus! By Christ i had my bull bar right up his arse going up the hill, he tried to slow down but knew i wasn't going to yield. He knew he had done wrong and i was proper Censored off with that. laugh was i over took him further up the road! So he wasn't any further up on the deal. I know i shouldn't have sat the bull bar off his arse, but he cut my braking distance and i proved a point, not to prat about like that again. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #737406 29th Oct 2018 5:49pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Procta wrote:
By Christ i had my bull bar right up his arse going up the hill

I cannot be the only person to see the irony in this statement in a rant about bad driving! Rolling with laughter
Post #737417 29th Oct 2018 6:40pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Now is it kids in old bangers the uninsured drivers?

Well taken from Hastings insurance here

Quote:

Uninsured drivers: the statistics
Driving without car insurance is against the law and anyone caught in the act faces an unlimited fine plus up to eight points on their licence. Uninsured drivers could also see their cars being seized and destroyed.

Although illegal, data from the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) reveals that over 225,000 drivers in the UK have incurred points on their licence for driving uninsured cars. People aged 25-35 are most likely to dodge insurance, whilst those aged 65 and up are the least likely to commit an offence.

Must admit I was slightly surprised that it was not the 17-25 age group most likely to be uninsured.

Now

Quote:

Not only are uninsured drivers making our roads more dangerous — they're statistically more likely to be involved in an accident

I am not overly surprised at that comment. If drivers are prepared to ignore/flout the law regarding motor insurance I would guess they are more likely to ignore keeping their vehicles roadworthy and traffic laws such as speed limits.

Brendan
Post #737420 29th Oct 2018 7:04pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Procta wrote:
By Christ i had my bull bar right up his arse going up the hill

I cannot be the only person to see the irony in this statement in a rant about bad driving! Rolling with laughter

I have been known to do a rant like Rab C Nesbit, on the road. Laughing

This would be me, and then meeting a forum member or a disco owner

Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #737459 29th Oct 2018 8:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>