↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 dicovery,,,
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Blackhat90

Scotland 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
TD5 dicovery,,,
Hi guys, am thinking of buying a TD5 Disco" prices are low just now And i"v always liked the sound of em,, been a defender /series owner for 20 years, never ventured into the electrical wizardry ,,,i" heard of the oil in loom stuuf , maybe the abs pump/ sensors etc, whats best Auto or manual, i see the duel mass flywheels are cheaper now,, ..
Post #746649 20th Dec 2018 8:25pm
RANGER1312

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Stornoway Grey
I've had 2 td5 Discos and loved them both.

Only issues I had with them was oil in the loom as you say and I was warned to steer clear of rear airbags but only had 1 go. That was as a result of wear and tear due to age but was cheap enough and easy enough to repair.

Sunroofs are renowned for leaking like a sieve although I got lucky with my 1st one and had no issues, second one I got a cold shower every time I went around a bend Rolling Eyes

Traction Control system is good but not really a match for diff lock, combined a disco is pretty much unstoppable so if you like laning / off roading try and find one with it.

It was taken off early models but was an optional extra (typically transfer box had the hardware installed, just needed the linkage, don't think it was an optional extra on facelift models until around '03 / '04 when it was reintroduced due to customer demand. ES Premiums come with it as standard).
Post #746655 20th Dec 2018 9:12pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have long maintained that the Disco2 is probably the best all round multipurpose vehicle the world has and will ever see. It is not so complex as to be unmaintainable, it will do everything asked of it, yet offers comfort, performance, and fun.

There are some well-known foibles but most are easily fixable (including leaking sunroofs), and at the moment they are unbeatable value for money.

I bought mine new in 2002, it has now done 220,000 miles and although it has had a few issues it has never once failed to complete a journey. My Defender (new in 2007) has now done a higher mileage (233,000) and has had significantly more issues, and has arrived home on a recovery truck on three occasions. Both are hugely enjoyable, but the Discovery is undoubtedly the better vehicle, though less charismatic.

In some ways the saddest thing is the realisation that if JLR had upgraded the Defender with the technology proven in the Disco2 we could have had a modern, comfortable, and sustainable Defender 15 years ago, and our favourite and most iconic vehicle would still be with us.

Edited to add that my D2 has a manual transmission, I have no experience with the auto version. One of the less good features of the manual is that it has the awful R380 gearbox, but in that respect it is no different to a TD5 Defender. You just learn to live with it.

Last edited by blackwolf on 21st Dec 2018 10:10am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #746679 20th Dec 2018 11:35pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I have D2 for more than 8 years, using it offroad and for holiday trips. Defender is better in very heavy offrad, because of smaller and compacter body, lower weight and less plastic parts like bumpers. Sunroofs is one of small problems with solution - need "just some work".
The biggest "problem" is original auto gearbox, with standard small torque converter. It degrades the car. Solution is, change it to bigger one and you have completely different car. The rest is comparable to TD5 Defender, but with less noise and water inside, and with more space.
I'm slowly switching to Defender 130, because D2 is a bit small for our long trips in 4 person. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #746700 21st Dec 2018 8:52am
Blackhat90

Scotland 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Thats some great reports, Thumbs Up i see on other opinions [ facebook] most older models have rotten rear chassis , but i like the idea of fixing it by oneself, a chassis change would be interesting, , the prices are good just now, ,, wil report back when done deal , Cool
Post #746831 21st Dec 2018 10:46pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Some have rotten chassis, it is a common problem, but many don't. As with any Landrover chassis, check it thoroughly before buying.

Galv chassis are now available and (provided that you have access to suitable lifting equipment) it isn't that difficult to lift the body off.
Post #746840 21st Dec 2018 11:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1