Home > Off Topic > Cctv?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tommyharris

2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Cctv?
Evening all,

Does anyone know a thing or two about cctv?

Im looking to put a dome type of camera up on the guttering, at the front and rear of my house overlooking the drive.

Ive googled the above but blown by the mass of information.

Could someone point me to a site for reliable info?

Regards tom
Post #737122 27th Oct 2018 9:57pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
If you use the search function on the site will give you lots of good info. Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #737130 27th Oct 2018 11:17pm
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
What sort of info are you after chap?
I fitted 8 high definition cameras with 100m night vision to my property, I'm completely surrounded...
And I can access it remotely too. Which came in handy when I was at work and my rottweilers were 'at work' on my sofa... Tearing it to shreds... Lol 😂

You can pm me if you'd rather... Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #737131 27th Oct 2018 11:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'm not sure about the remote access via internet side as they've advanced a lot more since I've had one.
But do go HD, and also if you want good nighttime use you will need good Infrared IR lighting.
Often stand along IR lighting for larger areas and distances. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #737139 28th Oct 2018 12:37am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Have a read through this thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic63654.html

I installed dome CCTV at soffit level. I got all my gear from www.cctvkits.co.uk - use code vwforum for 6% off (no affiliation)

At soffit level something you need to be careful of is lens angle/focal length. Up that high you won't want lens angle to be too wide as you have enough height to give you field of vision.

This site has some useful examples https://www.cctvaware.com/blog/correct-installation-height

If you have any pre-purchase questions give CCTV kits a call. Like you I was boggled by the amount of info out there so I called them and they were really healpful!

How many cameras are you looking to install?
Post #737143 28th Oct 2018 6:00am
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Bought a Pan tilt 20x zoom dome camera off eBay, Chinese as they all are but only cost £79

haven't mounted it yet but seems to work fine, the Chinese English is entertaining lol 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #737174 28th Oct 2018 11:22am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I have a Hikvision recorder which allows remote access via internet. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #737177 28th Oct 2018 11:43am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
For a basic system with up to 8 cameras I would personally go down the high definition analogue route.
Easier to install than IP based cameras as you don't need to mess around with camera IP address configuration or Cat5/Cat6 cable.

I have a HIK based system at home using 5MP cameras which are powered through the same co-ax cable that carries the video feed from the cameras to the recorder. This is known as POC (power over co-ax) One of the cameras has a zoom lens, the others are fixed lens.

The beauty of POC is you only need to run one length of cable to each camera and don't have the hassle of providing a separate 12v power feed. Quite handy if you are running the cable through restricted loft space etc. The recorder does however need to support POC to provide the required 12 volts through the co-ax. The connectors at each end of the co-ax are also easy to attach to the co-ax. Twist on connectors are available and if you wrap them with self amalgamating tape they seem to cope OK with the worst of our weather.

Another option to help make the wiring easier is to use "Shotgun cable". This is a single cable with a figure of eight profile. The co-ax cable which carries the video signal is at one side, the twisted pair to carry the power feed to the camera is on the other side. Going down this route allows a wider choice of cameras and recorders as not all are POC. But you then need to provide a central stabilised 12v power supply with enough capacity to drive all the cameras. Or mount a separate supply indoors close to each camera.

With my HIK cameras you can focus the cameras remotely and operate the zoom remotely which makes set up a lot easier once you have the camera pointing in the right direction. No messing around up and down ladders to set the focus, etc.
This remote control is really designed for one time set-up, not continuous zooming. For that type of operation you would need a more expensive PTZ (pan/Tilt/Zoom) type camera with a remote control. These types of cameras are usually used by monitoring stations where an operator would be watching movement and tracking the movement manually. Although some PTZ cameras will latch onto a moving object and track automatically.

All my cameras are day/night, with built in IR illumination. The night performance is amazing, as is the image definition compared to the 700 line analogue cameras I replaced last year.

Most of the recorders (analogue or IP based technology) will connect to t'internet and your home network as well, so you can view remotely. I think most of them do need a static IP address though which may or may not be available from your internet service provider. If your service provider won't provide a static IP address, then there are ways around this using a static IP service which runs on the back of your existing variable IP address. "No-IP" offer a free service, but you have to reconfirm the IP with them each month. Others provide a fixed service for a small annual cost. Just depends if you want to connect remotely, or if you are happy to use the system locally with a monitor plugged into the recorder. I like to be able to view remotely so I can keep an eye on the place when we are away on holiday.

Most of the recorders will also be capable of being set for motion detection, whereby recording only starts once the system detects motion. This is handy as it avoids continuous recording to the hard drive. Even with continuous recording, the systems can be set to mark the recording when any motion or event is detected which helps with locating incidents during playback.

The only downside I have with motion detection is in the dark as the IR illuminators built into the cameras attract flying insects which then trigger the motion recording. It is possible to adjust the sensitivity of the motion detection, but at the risk of not picking up genuine unwanted visitors. A solution to this is to mount separate IR illumination and disable the inbuilt camera IR lighting.

Bottom line is that it all comes down to price and how much you want to spend. My advice would be to buy decent cameras with a brand like HIK or Dahua and avoid own label cameras. As with all digital cameras, the image size in MP isn't everything. The quality of the lens optics, the video sensor chip, and the effectiveness of the housing waterproofing are all important.

I would also select the cameras and the recorder from the same manufacturer and check with the supplier that the cameras and recorder are compatible. There are issues where some HD analogue cameras will not work with other branded recorders and also not all recorders can handle the highest definition camera outputs. No point in buying 5MP cameras if the recorder will only record at standard resolution Sad

Hope this has helped and not confused matters even more!
Post #737272 28th Oct 2018 7:22pm
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Shocked Shocked Shocked

So if Google didn't baffle you enough, how you feeling now Rolling with laughter

(ill admit I didn't read it all, just saw that there was alot there Wink ) Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #737325 29th Oct 2018 12:08am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Good post lohr500!

Only thing I would add for the original poster is not to be put off by IP cameras. Power over Ethernet (POE) has superseded Power over Coax and has the same principal - single cat/cat6 cable for power, video and audio.

IP camera setup is largely automated and painless if you use a dedicated recorder. Agree configuration can be tricky if you're trying to setup a homebrew system.
Post #737329 29th Oct 2018 5:48am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
lohr500 wrote:

Most of the recorders (analogue or IP based technology) will connect to t'internet and your home network as well, so you can view remotely. I think most of them do need a static IP address though which may or may not be available from your internet service provider.

Setting up a static IP address is easy if you use the free tool from Portforward.com. A static IP does not interfere with broadband, in fact, it can make it faster. Internet servers do not usually give out static IP's it is up to the user to do so.
Have a read here
https://portforward.com/help/setup_static_ip_address.htm For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #737381 29th Oct 2018 2:23pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Most of my day job is now designing and installing CCTV into pubs, so I know a fair bit, and have experience of various makes.

I used systemQ. they only sell to the trade however. their boxes are exacltly the same as HikVision (or visa versa), with slightly different software.

For a fresh virgin install (ie, no other system on the property) I'd go IP. wiring is more or less the same (one cable to each camera, unless of course you use cat5+2 so can run 4 analogue cameras down one cat5/6 cable with the +2 being the power),

The systemQ IP boxes have auto IP configuration, so that's a doddle (unless you want to assign your own IP addresses to each camera).

They also have IPPostcode to get around the static IP address problem of your ISP.

good thing about IP is if you have severesal cameras in a close area you can run them all back to a 10/100 switch then just one network cable back to the NVR instead of multiple cables.

Although for a simple not-many camera setup, analogue is still worth considering.
Post #737501 29th Oct 2018 11:13pm
Tommyharris

Evening all,

Sorry for the delay work has been crazy!

Thank you all for the invaluable advice, its all new to me if im honest!

Im looking for 3x dome cameras fot the sofit and a means of a constant loop recording. I will digest all of the above and get ordering.

Me and computers/systems/ecu stuff dont mix lol

Im happy with wires as ill run them across in the loft and down into spare room.

Regards tom
Post #739881 11th Nov 2018 5:33pm
Tommyharris

On another note how do i stand with the neighbors? The purpose is to keep an on the defenders etc
Post #739885 11th Nov 2018 5:56pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Some info here on domestic CCTV and privacy :

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications...r-property

The key thing is to position the cameras so they don't intrude on your neighbours' privacy.
A decent recorder should also have the ability to set blanked out areas to mask any areas that would invade privacy.

If you have a shared drive, or the camera/s will have to overlook part of your neighbour's property then it would be worth having a discussion with them, as they may be OK with the area being recorded if it enhances their security as well Smile

As per the advise on the .gov site, so long as you are on amicable terms with them, I would discuss your plans with them anyway if there is any doubt.
Post #739893 11th Nov 2018 6:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1