↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Pricing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Pricing
Just been looking at the new Jeep Wrangler on the Jeep website and was amazed to see that the starting price is around £45,000. Considering the Wrangler is made by a medium priced car manufacturer (Fiat Chrysler) it would seem logical that as JLR consider themselves a premium brand then the price of the new Defender is going to be north of £45K particularly if the new Defender is going to have all the off road bells and whistles plus the safety features and on road gadgets that everyone expects these days.

I was hoping that the wife might chop her Discovery Sport in against one in 2020 but not if it's over 50 grand. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #735910 20th Oct 2018 5:00pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Considering the amount of development time it is taking before launch it will have to be the best 4x4 by far! Smile

However, if they price it wrong then JLR may have a problem as I certainly like many others would not spend that amount of money when there are other marks cheaper. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #735920 20th Oct 2018 6:00pm
Ramajama

United States 
Re: Pricing
discomog wrote:
Just been looking at the new Jeep Wrangler on the Jeep website and was amazed to see that the starting price is around £45,000. Considering the Wrangler is made by a medium priced car manufacturer (Fiat Chrysler) it would seem logical that as JLR consider themselves a premium brand then the price of the new Defender is going to be north of £45K particularly if the new Defender is going to have all the off road bells and whistles plus the safety features and on road gadgets that everyone expects these days.

I was hoping that the wife might chop her Discovery Sport in against one in 2020 but not if it's over 50 grand.

This is why I haven’t purchased a Jeep Wrangler lately. They are extremely overpriced for what you get. I just can’t justify it. We’ve had Wranglers years ago, so I know exactly what they are. However, They are the only game in town and people still gladly pay it. They are an extremely profitable brand. Most profit in the FCA stable by far.

If JLR can price some Defender trim levels in Jeeps price range, they’ll compete well. It’s understandable that the higher trim levels will be higher priced, but again if they want to reach that 100k sales figure they had better price them to sell..

We are hoping the same thing on our Discovery Sport. She has a HSE Lux and we could do without some of the bells and whistles but I’m NOT spending $70k on a Defender.
Post #735930 20th Oct 2018 7:09pm
WindyJ

I thought the new Wrangler started at less than $30k - less than 40k once specced up. I think that, at least State-side isn’t bad at all...especially since they won’t be immune to 1st year depreciation and 12 month from now I bet $25k buys a good one. Not surprised that by the time they get to Europe they are near 50% more though...at that level it’s too much but I will wager all I have JLR have no intention at all of undercutting Jeep with the new Defender.
Post #735956 20th Oct 2018 9:04pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
how about nearly £70k

eBay Item No. 152946019645

or just £50k

eBay Item No. 113302739847

must say they look the dogs DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #735990 21st Oct 2018 6:34am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The first one is nearly £70k plus VAT! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #735993 21st Oct 2018 7:29am
WindyJ

Those are crazy prices. Nice builds i’m sure but not even based on new model Wranglers. Quick look on US site like CarMax and $30k buys a well specced 2018 car with less than 15k miles on it....US knows how to price it’s cars i’ll give them that.
Post #735996 21st Oct 2018 8:02am
skyrover

United Kingdom 
gilarion wrote:
Considering the amount of development time it is taking before launch it will have to be the best 4x4 by far! Smile

It's not... Land Rover gave up on the 4x4 market when it dropped the live axles.
Post #735998 21st Oct 2018 8:39am
diduan

Bulgaria 
I think it is a general tendency that car prices go up. Maybe due to the fact that people don't buy cars any more but lease them. It may be insignificant if the monthly rate is 400£ or 450£ but the end price will be high. So the consumer may complain a bit, then jump into the lease schema...that's what they want us to do. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #736005 21st Oct 2018 10:22am
Ramajama

United States 
WindyJ wrote:
I thought the new Wrangler started at less than $30k - less than 40k once specced up. I think that, at least State-side isn’t bad at all...especially since they won’t be immune to 1st year depreciation and 12 month from now I bet $25k buys a good one. Not surprised that by the time they get to Europe they are near 50% more though...at that level it’s too much but I will wager all I have JLR have no intention at all of undercutting Jeep with the new Defender.

Base price and what people actually buy are two different things. Very few people buy a base model. Rubicons can push $60k USD and most Rubicons are in the low $50k range. A large percentage of Wranglers sell well above $40k USD. The good thing for Wrangler owners, and a bit of redemption for spending so much, is that they hold their value remarkably well.

Jeep has a burgeoning problem on their hands though. Some frame weld issues are cropping up on the new models. Blatantly shoddy work. Remains to be seen just how ugly it will get quite yet. Hopefully for them they caught it early enough.
Post #736038 21st Oct 2018 2:43pm
Ramajama

United States 
diduan wrote:
I think it is a general tendency that car prices go up. Maybe due to the fact that people don't buy cars any more but lease them. It may be insignificant if the monthly rate is 400£ or 450£ but the end price will be high. So the consumer may complain a bit, then jump into the lease schema...that's what they want us to do.

Increasing prices are not the only issue affecting ownership. Due to the hyper paced efforts to out gimmick each other, These new vehicles are becoming obsolete within 4-5 years and the repair costs will be astronomical when kept for too long. Almost No car built in the last 9-10 years is a long term keeper IMO. Until the consumer finally stands up and says “ENOUGH ALREADY!” It’ll get worse. Not likely to happen though. Smile

Last edited by Ramajama on 23rd Oct 2018 3:59am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #736039 21st Oct 2018 2:47pm
Slideywindows

England 
That ^ is why the newest vehicle I own is a 1996 300Tdi Defender.

I could afford a new Range Rover - but I am not playing their game.

I guess they probably hate me. Cool
Post #736095 21st Oct 2018 9:32pm
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
https://www.theweek.co.uk/

put an article out yesterday about the new Landy in it's cars section, quoting Autocar "expects entry-level models to start at £40,000"

It's an awful lot of money for what looks like an awful small vehicle, not even as practical as a 90.
JLR are stuck in the accountants grip - expensive car, big profit; cheap car small profit. No room for a versatile go anywhere runabout Sad Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #740506 14th Nov 2018 4:23pm
WindyJ

What was the starting price of the last few years of the Defender? Half that?
Post #740510 14th Nov 2018 4:31pm
Ramajama

United States 
Slideywindows wrote:
That ^ is why the newest vehicle I own is a 1996 300Tdi Defender.

I could afford a new Range Rover - but I am not playing their game.

I guess they probably hate me. Cool

Yup but people still want the cool new cars. From here on out, any new car, especially a Land Rover, that we get for my wife will be leased. Depreciation is another massive issue with LR, I’m not taking another hit like I’m taking with our Disco Sport.
Post #740682 15th Nov 2018 3:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>