↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Led v halogen ...advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
drinkdrinkdrop

United Kingdom 
I haven’t pulled the trigger on LED headlamps due to the snow issue because of our winter trips so I’m firmly in the function over looks camp, if price is in the same ballpark as a regular projector LED then I’m a buyer for sure
Post #735799 19th Oct 2018 9:27pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
I’ve thought about this before, and at the time thought that as there wasn’t anything available for us in the way of heated lenses, what about using heated headlight washers? Feasible with a heat shot type system. But now having really thought about how much driving I do in the snow, came to the conclusion that when it snows I’ll just be miserable and stay at home in the warm Laughing
As for normal weather conditions, I would never go back to halogens from my leds.
Good to see that the manufacturers are getting them sorted for our market though Thumbs Up
Post #735801 19th Oct 2018 9:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If you run on MT.'s looks I do you wouldn't want to go out in snow anyway. Rolling with laughter
For everything else there is Rain X.

I'm not against the heating side of things but not with visible elements.

I think if you are very concerned about snow you'd be better off with Crystals.
But if like me it isn't then LED, a lot depends on personal choice, where you live and your use as well.
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #735803 19th Oct 2018 9:33pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Currently it is looking like supplies will be available in 8 - 12 weeks time.

Price to be confirmed, (now who is going to predict exchange rates in 12 weeks time) but expect £700+ range

The power information is not a sticker and can not be quickly/easily removed.

4x4overlander will shortly be selling another new LED which has full approval marks for legal road use in the UK. Keep an eye on our website/facebook page as there may be some announcements there Whistle

Brendan
Post #735851 20th Oct 2018 10:35am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Well the lights are here and in. Took it to work this morning and put it on the beamsetter as the were intentionally low just incase. Now they are set my morning trips to work should be comfortably lit. initial thoughts is more cleaner whiter light which is better defined and cut off.

Combined with the Lazer bar there is a adequate amount of light up front Whistle

Click image to enlarge

I know we all mention snow and the worry about it obscuring the lights but IMHO I never once during the "beast from the East" had to clear snow from the bar. maybe it was the wrong type of snow Laughing

Night time pictures to follow in my own thread. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #735923 20th Oct 2018 6:32pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Devon-Rover, when you set the beam did you notice if it was a flat beam or if it had the usual kick up? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #735931 20th Oct 2018 7:14pm
Devon-Rover

Flat beam to the best of my attention. I've not done any major mileage with them in the real dark it'll be Monday morning when I get a good opportunity to see. Thumbs Up Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #735934 20th Oct 2018 7:22pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Likewise, I fitted mine over summer and have barely driven in the dark since. Next few months should fix that. The reason I ask is was wondering if I need to put tape on them for the continent. Seems not, which is handy. My MOT guy said they were flat, but just wanted a second opinion. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #735939 20th Oct 2018 7:32pm
Devon-Rover

Well I leave for work at 6:30 in the morning so I'll soon let you know Laughing Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #735941 20th Oct 2018 7:36pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Most of the reputable LED headlight makers for LHT have sharp cut offs so do not often cause problems on the continent.

When I hear of problems with LED headlights they are normally associated with things like the cheap non approved headlights, conversion from halogen to LED bulbs which have a horrendous light patterns or people incorrectly wiring up DRLs as side lights Banging Head

Brendan
Post #735951 20th Oct 2018 8:01pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
leeds wrote:
You learn something new everyday!
Yes a heated lens LED headlights with full approval for use in Europe!
Have currently been told delivery time 8-12 weeks, unsure of UK price.
What do people think?

Click image to enlarge

Brendan

Brendan, think this is very interesting progress. I’ve just completed a 250 km Swiss trip with the SVX from home to Basel for a Dinitrol update, and this includes several long tunnels. Now my Wipac Cristals with uprated bulbs and a Landreiziger loom are good, but the tunnels reminded me that my former Speaker EVOs were better.
Now that we live higher up and will get more snow than down by the lake, I might consider a new set of LED lights with heated lenses. Few questions.
1. What are Nolden’s plans in this direction? Do they have a lamp with a heated lens like this new Speaker in the pipeline too? (I prefer the Nolden look over the Speaker spaceship look, plus Nolden have IP69 as opposed to Speaker IP67 rating)
2. How does this lens heating work? Are they always heating when the lights are on, also with positive temps? Or is there some kind of temp sensor integrated into the lamp which only turns the lens heating element on when ambient temp warrant this?
3. What is the extra electric consumption (wattage) of these heating elements?
4. Is Peter going to sell this heated Speaker lamp for our side of the road driving?

As said, seems all interesting enough to look at LED again for me.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #736156 22nd Oct 2018 12:35pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Eric, to be frank I was surprised when I saw that heater elements and that it passed the UNECE tests, however it does have the correct approvals so good for JWS.

Nolden plans I am not certain about, but they would not want me announcing anything until correct approvals had been obtained. Many a slip between cup and lip etc.

There is a temperature sensor which automatically switches heating elements on. It takes power from lighting circuit so is low wattage and no extra wiring need, hence 'Smart Heat'

Wattage of heater elements I do not know as it is not specified separately. However on lens it says high beam 45 watts whereas current draw is 4.2 amps at 12 volts or 50 watts. So is heater element 5 watts??

Nakatanenga currently sell J W Speaker lights so I would image they will do if the demand is there.

Brendan
Post #736165 22nd Oct 2018 1:21pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Stacey007 wrote:
I bought wipac crystals / upgraded philips bulb and the loom.

2 years ago I fitted the lenses and bulbs... Not yet fitted the loom as like you don't want to blow anything up.

They are better yes, but jump in my wife's car wil Xeons and they are nowhere near as good.

I'm happy though and not had an issue? another thing to factor in depending upon where you live is that come winter and if we get snow, not sure the LED's are 'as' good as melting as they don't get anything like as hot.

I would be tempted to try the bulbs and lenses first. This was mine after changing one side.

stacey007 you appear to have crystals and two led side lights (no indicator) ?

Click image to enlarge
Post #736166 22nd Oct 2018 1:24pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Both the indicators are on the other side Rolling with laughter
Post #736168 22nd Oct 2018 1:32pm
Devon-Rover

Bluest wrote:
Likewise, I fitted mine over summer and have barely driven in the dark since. Next few months should fix that. The reason I ask is was wondering if I need to put tape on them for the continent. Seems not, which is handy. My MOT guy said they were flat, but just wanted a second opinion.

I was greeted by a nice flat beam cut off this morning so you shouldn't have any issues on the continent. Thumbs Up Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #736200 22nd Oct 2018 6:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>