↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Remembrance Sunday - am I getting old or just out of touch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Well said Grenadier.

I am not from a military family but will be remembering all those who lost their lives/badly injured in various conflicts.

Yes the red poppy is the iconic symbol of remembrance for the UK/Commonwealth and allies

The French use the blue cornflower whereas the Germans use the forget me not for the peoples day of mourning.

Is the colour of the poppy important, red, white or purple? To my mind no, the act of remembrance is the important thing and the hope/wish of no further conflicts.

Now thinking of colour some of the film from WW1 is being turned into colour. Now to my mind whilst this is a technical achievement somehow I think the black and white film is more poignant and more in keeping with the era.

Brendan
Post #737429 29th Oct 2018 7:49pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Grenadier wrote:
I'll wear a red poppy, always have, always will. It is the icon the stands for Remembrance. However, and I have been reminded of this just this week with documentaries on the Great War and the recent war in Syria, I am forever saddened by the futility of war and the waste of life, egineered more often than not by men whom have never served, nor will ever serve, their country in battle. They launch our countries into conflicts with impunity and without a second's thought for the devastation it will wreak on so many soldiers and their families. I served and did so with pride. I also immensely enjoyed my service, including all overseas postings and operations. Indeed so much so that I would still recommend service to any son or daughter of any friend of mine, thinking about joining. But the irony is that I nevertheless hate the realities of war, the devastation it leaves behind, the friends I have lost, the damage to their families, the friends who's lives have been irreversably effected, the civilian collateral, the regions devastated, and all to satisfy the ego of a Western Politician or a regional dictator. Whilst we may have to go to war to defend ourselves and our democracies (and for that we still need standing armies), as was the case in WWI and WWII, recent conflicts have, in my opinion, been a total and utter waste of life. Iraq and Afghanistan need never have happened and I remain sad to this day for them. We have turned from defenders to protagonists and not only reaped a whirlwind in a region that has yet to recover, and likely won't in our lifetime, but far from improving our secrity we have actually made the situation worse. We are bigger targets than we ever were. With all this in mind, whilst I will not ever wear a white poppy, the utter futility of modern warfare, lessons from which we refuse to learn, certainly make me identify with the sentiments of your 'old boy with the medals' and I would consider myself to be largely 'peaceful', if not an out and out pacifist.

Here here grenadier.

“Waste” is exactly that, a person that died could have been an artist, writer, scientist in another life. All that money sp not in ordinance could be better spent in peace, but in war every penny is a godsend, even ratpack boiled sweets.

If one of my mates children would ask for advise on joining the forces I’d tell them for what it is, the good times are the best, the bad times are the worst. And general barracks duty is miserable, but even then you look back with fondness. I think I’d also tell them it makes you see the world for what it really is, and in some eyes you’re numb, and in others in appropriate.

Then again when I have kids I’m not sure, I would be proud of them regardless of what they do in life, but I would respect them more for signing up but I wouldn’t encourage it... know a fair few people who got seriously worse, know a couple of people who have pretty miserable lives. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #737448 29th Oct 2018 8:41pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
±
I may be wrong, but I was always told the poppies are red because red poppies grew in the churned up battle grounds after the fighting had moved (and as is well documented, some of those poor souls fought for ages with very little progression).

The poppy seeds lay dormant in the soil and only germinate after the soil has been moved or in this case turned over by the relentless fighting.

I will be remembering and my Defender wears its poppy all year round.

Without wishing to be devil's advocate, I'm afraid that young persons do tend to say stupid things that they latter regret. With Facebook and Twitter, things said with little thought, intelligence or maturity have a habit of hanging around and can and do haunt people as they get older. You do reap what you sow.
Post #737486 29th Oct 2018 10:01pm
Slideywindows

England 
When I was young I had a thousand opinions and zero wisdom.

The only thing that has changed, is that today's young can use social media to show that nothing has changed.
Post #737494 29th Oct 2018 10:59pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Have just watched 100 days to Victory. Now just hearing the numbers of soldiers involved, number of casualties is a bit mind blowing.

Hearing some of the diary entries from the ordinary squaddies is extremely moving.

They will be remembered.

Brendan
Post #738094 1st Nov 2018 10:04pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Some of the figures about WW1 are a bit mind blowing.

Just found out that the western front was 630 miles long. I never realised it was that long.

It seems they are going to try and make a peace footpath following the frontline 630 miles from Switzerland to the Belgium coast

Now I wonder how long the trenches were on both sides of the frontline?

Brendan
Post #738714 5th Nov 2018 10:05am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
leeds wrote:
Have just watched 100 days to Victory. Now just hearing the numbers of soldiers involved, number of casualties is a bit mind blowing.

Hearing some of the diary entries from the ordinary squaddies is extremely moving.

They will be remembered.

Brendan

Compared with battles and wars of old, the public's perception of war and what constitutes a 'high death toll' has become far less accepting. Obviously, the public being shocked, saddened and actively trying to prevent the 633 deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan over a decade can only be a good, thing; we would never want to return to the staggering numbers lost during the two World Wars with almost 1m British military deaths between them. But it is easy to forget the attrition some of the 20thC wars, (eg Vietnam - 75,000 US deaths), placed upon the families at home. Thanks to strong media campaigns and charities, the UK public's awareness of the Armed Forces and what they do has vastly improved over the last decade, but there was a period where almost no members of the public knew any serving soldiers, didn't know what the AFs roles were and where (the era of NI, Bosnia, Sierre Leon, Iraq 1 etc) and frankly their impression had become very, very sanitised. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #738722 5th Nov 2018 10:45am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-46086225/to...ce-tribute Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #738723 5th Nov 2018 10:49am
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Some of the junior schools in the Halifax area of West Vale to Sowood have done a Poppy trail in conjunction with the church’s and WI.
One of the locals told me a counsellor has complained about it FFS
Post #739395 8th Nov 2018 8:45pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
What the hell is wrong with some people?

Remembrance Sunday is not about glorifying war but about remembering those who were killed and injured in various wars. No one is forced to wear a red poppy, they can wear a white poppy or a purple poppy, blue cornflower or no symbol at all whatever they choose but at least respect those who want to remember

From an educational point of view there are many different sides to this 'topic' . History both world and local, geography, art/craft (one of our local primary schools has been making red poppies out of the bottom of plastic bottles) maths/logistics/communication etc, lessons in research linking say local war memorial, church to genealogy to a grave in a distant land.

Good luck to the schools/churches/WI with their poppy trail and I hope the kids learn a lot from the event including learning to understand and respect our history.

Brendan

Brendan
Post #739413 8th Nov 2018 9:40pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Post #739502 9th Nov 2018 1:54pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Just seen a news article that Remembrance day in East Africa/Kenya is 2 weeks behind that held in the UK. Apparently it took an extra 2 weeks for the Armistice to be effective in East Africa.

Apparently a million combatants involved in the East Africa with tens of thousand of deaths. Many of the deaths were from the native porters who's deaths were not carefully recorded but they need remembering as well.

So yes they should be remembered them as much as those on the Western Front.

Brendan
Post #741958 24th Nov 2018 12:19am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I heard this on the news last night and it is something that I knew nothing about.

In a world of satellites and instant communication, it is difficult for younger people to understand just how difficult communications used to be. Even as recently as the early 1980’s, a telephone call to Australia was a thing of wonder and very unreliable.

I have often wondered what kind of evidence they received and how this could have been communicated, especially to an enemy who didn’t want to ‘lose’. It’s not as if everyone got a text message, read it on Facebook or listened to it on the TV news?

I seem to recall that there was a Japanese Soldier who carried on fighting the Second World War for years after the armistice as he didn’t believe that the War was over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25772192

Dreadfully sad.
Post #741977 24th Nov 2018 10:29am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
World War 1 ended in Zambia (then Northern Rhodesia) on November 25th, apparently Lake Chila is still full of German weapons that were dumped there after the surrender.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mbala-wwi-surrender-monument
http://www.times.co.zm/?p=105253

Must admit that despite living in Zambia for the last year, I had no idea until a colleague mentioned it last week Embarassed

There is also a ferry operating still operating on Lake Tanganyika which served as a German destroyer on the same lake in 1913. 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #741997 24th Nov 2018 2:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234