Home > Td5 > Hopefully be the owner of a 2000 defender td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Hopefully be the owner of a 2000 defender td5
Hi all, my names Adam, 
Im a keen metal Detectorist, motorcyclist, and camper.
Tomorrow (16.5.1Cool im going to look at a LR Defender 110 TD5 Country - Expedition Spec
It will be my first ever Land Rover - and I know nothing about them, apart from they good off roaders which will be great for my camping and metal detecting.

Here are the specs - Any pointers very welcome.

12 MONTHS MOT + 6 MONTHS WARRANTY* 2001 X LAND ROVER DEFENDER 110 2.5TD5 COUNTY SPEC UTILITY 5 SEATER, REBUILT & PREPARED IN 2016 WITH £££'s SPENT ON NEW PARTS INCLUDING GALVANISED CHASSIS, 16" BOOSTALLOY WHEELS FITTED WITH DISCOVERER COOPER AT TYRES, Four wheel-drive, Blue, FULL LENGTH ROOF RACK WITH REAR LADDER, UPGRADED HEADLIGHTS & SIDE LIGHTS, DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM, FRONT BUMPER, LIGHT GUARDS, OLD MAN EMU SUSPENSION, ELECTRICAL POINTS & MUCH MORE,

the garage is looking for just shy of 13k - Is that about right?
I have also printed a list of things to check from LRO.com

I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Kind regards 

Adam
Post #707341 15th May 2018 5:07pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Thats a tad high imo. I paid £12k for a standard 04 110 XS double cab.

Galv chassis is a nice touch but £13k still high!
Post #707358 15th May 2018 6:03pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
^^ Interesting, I would have said £13k is a decent price atm with a galvanised chassis and the dual battery setup etc. Don't forget the chassis itself will cost near on £2k + man hours to rebuild.

Even though it's got a galv chassis, be sure to check the other usual rust spots like battery boxes and bulkhead as they may not have been sorted. That LRO checklist should mention all of these points.

Hope it works out Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #707362 15th May 2018 6:13pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Maybe for a younger 15p model
Post #707378 15th May 2018 7:23pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Check the OME shocks. earlier ones top shroud corroded badly but still work fine. Newer version have composite shrouds.

£13k seems a good price for a rebuilt TD5 with galvanised chassis - Whats the mileage and engine / gearbox service history like ? 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #707391 15th May 2018 7:45pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
A Marsland Chassis is up around the £2800 mark with VAT now. Richards Chassis are just ok, the galvanising on some of them hasn’t lasted the best, I’m also not sure where you would stand in an accident as it’s not like for like in my eyes, as they’re built like Series Chassis in four welded plates, where as the genuine GKN/Marsland is two pressed sections with strengtheners and impact sections built into them.

My advice if I wasn’t mechanically minded is to take someone who knows them to look with you, or pay a reputable independent to look over it for you. Defenders are not a car I would buy without some mechanical knowledge. There’s some “rebuilt” lemons out there unfortunately Neutral It’s an 18 year old working vehicle, you have to remember that when you look at it.

I wouldn’t buy the first one I see either plenty out there good and bad!
Post #707439 15th May 2018 9:54pm
Adam17

Thanks for all the tips chaps.

This engine has done 137k, about 7k a year, also, it is a 10p engine, I understand they have known issues with cylinder cracks. I have done a lot of research into the car and believe i know what I'm looking for...

To show what a small world it is, one of my metal detecting comrades owns 2 300tdi defender 90s. I have spent a good time chatting to him about it, and he has given me plenty of pointers and things to check, I am going armed to the teeth with bits to look at, and checks to do...

From what I understand, owning a defender is going to be a labour of love...... I already have a money pit that is my Audi A4 Avant, i love it, but have out grown it's capabilities, I'll be keeping it for a time just to see how i get on with the defender....If i buy it.... but then will be selling the audi

Thanks again for your help chaps, who knows, maybe we will meet at some point...
Post #707445 15th May 2018 10:08pm
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
There's always the possibility that the chassis is neither Richards or Marsland, it could be a secondhand chassis that's been galvanised, there are lots of those around. Make sure the chassis number matches the log book, if it doesn't then walk away.
Post #707459 16th May 2018 6:03am
Adam17

Thanks buddy, I'll check that too.
Post #707470 16th May 2018 8:16am
Adam17

So I went and saw the car yesturday, my heart melted, it was beautiful, looked the part, no smoke on start up, had a mooch round very little rust, all looked good.
Took it for a rest drive, the sales man pulled off the fire court and down the road (as I hadn't driven one before he just wanted to show that the gears were fine and didn't crunch) being in the passenger seat I was surprised at the pull it had and that it was able to get to good speed in a reasonable time, he pulled over and I then took over driving. It had a very stiff clutch, but got used to that easy enough, it went through the lane very nicely and I felt very high up. I thoroughly enjoyed driving the car. We went down some twisty lanes and came to a small but steep hill, well I had to drop down to 2nd but I could feel the engine dying, by this point I was crawling, dropped into 1st gear and still no pull...... At which point I hit the clutch, the car stopped, I tried to raise the revs before letting the clutch go, but it felt reluctant, I put my foot right down on the gas to get the revs up, which eventually happened, I then released the clutch and it did pull away - that was worrying as I though these were meant to be dripping with torque...
Anyways, we kept driving for a bit, still loved it, we pulled back in to the garage. The sale man explained that when you have stopped driving to let it run for a further 60 seconds to allow the oil to flow back into the turbo to reduce the chances of it seizing...? What peoples thoughts on this?
So I then shut the engine off and the sales man explained that if I wanted the car that he would then put it through a service and mot and I could have it in 3-5 days.
I asked to have 10 mins with my father in law to discuss at which he obliged and and went inside.

We had a brief chat about the drive - which I enjoyed thoroughly, and then went and got a magnet from the car to check the panels. Well very little of the panels and doors were magnetic, and their was a few spider web shaped cracks and they were white inside....? I assume its all been filled...?

The garage also new vet little about the rebuild, apart from it was just the chassis, nothing was touched on the engine.
It had sever lots of lights on the grill and the roof Rach that were not wired in, the cb radio didn't work.

There was a fair bit of rust on the engine parts and under the car on the axels/breaks etc.

Gonna give it a miss I think. Such a shame it Was a dream to drive though, apart from 1 Hill it didnt seem to want to go up, had to drop down to 1st gear and her the throttle, but the revs took a while to get up before releasing the clutch to go... Again. Is this normal?

Hope to hear your thoughts...

Adam
Post #707635 17th May 2018 7:28am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
From what you've said, you've made the right choice. However, there are a few points that are worth noting: firstly, the body is almost entirely aluminium so a magnet won't help. That changes depending on age - post '02 the rear door changed to steel, post '05 all doors are steel and post '07 the bonnet is steel. The only part that's consistently steel on all is the bulkhead and various fixtures like the cappings on the rear tub. Secondly, a bit of surface rust on things like the axles and engine components can be perfectly normal so don't let that put you off on principle. Heavy rust is more of an issue but, to a degree, you need to know what you're looking at. What I'm getting at is that if you're put off by surface rust as a matter of course, you'll never find one that you like.

I hope that helps. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #707646 17th May 2018 8:27am
Adam17

yeh this was a 2000 reg,

maybe next time ill take a land rover owner with me...

I still want the car though haha, I fell in love with it...
Post #707715 17th May 2018 1:34pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
Sounds like a boggo TD5 to me and just wants a remap to get rid of the low down flat spot, go buy it, you'll end spending on it anyway, its a landy
Post #707726 17th May 2018 3:09pm
Gav40

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 Td5 HT Chawton White
Had my early TD5 for 15years and it still catches me out on steep hills sometimes, I would say perfectly normal for that vintage.
Good luck with your search.
Post #707732 17th May 2018 3:42pm
Adam17

AJC wrote:
Sounds like a boggo TD5 to me and just wants a remap to get rid of the low down flat spot, go buy it, you'll end spending on it anyway, its a landy

So after reading through this old post.. AJC you were right what ever I buy id spend out on - oh boy! how true that is...

I spent a few quid on The Dutchess lol Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #735905 20th Oct 2018 3:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1