↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Split Charge / Battery Recommendations Please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SteveFLS

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Blenheim Silver
Split Charge / Battery Recommendations Please?
Hi guys, am planning on fitting a split charge system and would appreciate views / recommendations for a battery to fit alongside the OE starter battery, will be used mostly to powered a fridge and looking for the best physical fit, performance and value for money please?
Cheers
Steve
Post #733153 5th Oct 2018 6:13pm
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
I was asking the same question on the FB groups just the other day...

People came back with T-Max split charge system..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/291695706724
RandC4x4.com

As for the battery id like to know myself Very Happy

Thumbs Up Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #733293 6th Oct 2018 11:25am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Lots of previous discussion about this on the forum.

The standard battery gets plenty of praise. I simply added another.

Click image to enlarge
Post #733294 6th Oct 2018 11:29am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Battery wise, just go with the largest leisure battery you can fit.

Split charge, a simple VSR is perfectly adequate and much cheaper than the t-max systems! Mine has a victron cyrix.
Post #733296 6th Oct 2018 11:37am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Battery wise, just go with the largest leisure battery you can fit.

Split charge, a simple VSR is perfectly adequate and much cheaper than the t-max systems! Mine has a victron cyrix.

I was advised by one of these ere forum members that this was a good bit of kit, so gave it a try...

I have had a Victron Cyrix fitted as my split charge for 8 or 9 months now and think it is absolutely fantastic. Great piece of kit for the price. If you buy the kit not just the relay it comes with all the wiring and connectors to fit it in a Defender. Kept the fridge/winch battery completely separated during many weeks of camping and travelling this summer, so could always start ol' Miffy up. These relays do come with a "jump" function too, whereby you can flip a switch to connect the aux to the main battery for an emmergency jump start should one or other discharge. It doesn't have the battery monitor, but I have to say I never liked them anyway (T-Max or National Luna) as they never "fit" well within the cab of the Defender. Kinda just hang there like an unnecessary carbuncle... Much prefer a simple dual volt gauge and have just bought one that is shaped like a carling switch to try out.

My 10 Pence worth...
Post #736346 23rd Oct 2018 2:18pm
remer

Australia 2002 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Fuji White
Look at getting either a DcDc charger or Solar with a good MPPT regulator, that Tmax thing is very old school tech
Post #736875 26th Oct 2018 1:36pm
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
I’m using an Intervolt DC DC charger with solar input no issues whatsoever
Post #740742 15th Nov 2018 8:30pm
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
It all depends on how much you want to spend and what size of batteries you want to put in.

I am using a redarc vsr and it works flawlessly for years and it has the emergency jump start function where you can jump start off your aux battery if needed.

I do have both batteries around the same size and capacity which helps when they are charging. If you have one battery that's 50AH and another that's 150AH, the 150AH will never realise its full potential as when the 50AH is full, the charge voltage does actually drop and then 150AH will take a long time to charge up. not a real issue on a long trip but if you use the car daily for short trips, then the 150AH battery will suffer.

Next, you can consider DC-DC chargers, so this charger sits in place of the VSR as mentioned earlier and manages the charging of the AUX battery. this works better when your batteries' capacities are pretty much different so that the above scenario doesn't happen. You are very likely to encounter a ground loop if your audio system head unit is on the main battery and your amps are on the aux in this scenario.

The more advanced ones have solar panel input and can charge the battery or maintain it, again this is where it starts to cost $$$. From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #742014 24th Nov 2018 3:41pm
Martyn668

United Kingdom 
I have had a Warn one for years. Seems to work well.
Post #742759 28th Nov 2018 12:50pm
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
achuakh wrote:
It all depends on how much you want to spend and what size of batteries you want to put in.

I am using a redarc vsr and it works flawlessly for years and it has the emergency jump start function where you can jump start off your aux battery if needed.

I do have both batteries around the same size and capacity which helps when they are charging. If you have one battery that's 50AH and another that's 150AH, the 150AH will never realise its full potential as when the 50AH is full, the charge voltage does actually drop and then 150AH will take a long time to charge up. not a real issue on a long trip but if you use the car daily for short trips, then the 150AH battery will suffer.

Next, you can consider DC-DC chargers, so this charger sits in place of the VSR as mentioned earlier and manages the charging of the AUX battery. this works better when your batteries' capacities are pretty much different so that the above scenario doesn't happen. You are very likely to encounter a ground loop if your audio system head unit is on the main battery and your amps are on the aux in this scenario.

The more advanced ones have solar panel input and can charge the battery or maintain it, again this is where it starts to cost $$$.

This is a great post.
Post #742789 28th Nov 2018 3:22pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
I have a HC CARGO 180 Amp vsr in mine who I think are a Bosch group company. I have just chucked in a second battery similar to OEM size that was in the garage. Fused 25mm cables into a centre seat toolbox that has the fused distribution mounted in it as well as USB ports etc.

I did a trip around Europe with it running the fridge, CB and charging phones and it was absolutely spot on! The fridge cuts out at low voltage and it never did.

Should have the webasto and heater fans running off it next week Thumbs Up
Post #742878 28th Nov 2018 9:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1