↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 90 Ride Comfort
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
90 Ride Comfort
Today I finished replacing the springs on my 90. It’s a 2013 with 50k and HD springs all round. I replaced both rears with progressive front passenger 110 springs and the fronts with discovery springs at 150lb. I found the details on the petrolheads forum and if anyone was thinking of doing it, do it! It has made hell of a difference and cost about £80 for the springs and isolator including the vat. Well worth it for small bump sensitivity and better on potholes as well.

One bit of advice though, lots of places say you can do it without spring compressors just using the articulation alone. This is far from the case. The rears can be done just, and I mean with just with a lot of brute force. There is no way you would manage it without them on the front. Other thing to note is that the rear sits about 10mm lower and the fron 10mm higher with this set up. I might shim the back up a bit if I can be bothered, but I can’t see it with my eyes.

Last edited by Co1 on 4th Oct 2018 3:35pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #732788 3rd Oct 2018 8:03pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
I literally did it with articulation last month all four corners?

I'm guessing you have ARB or something which is limiting it 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #732802 3rd Oct 2018 8:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, I'd agree likely the ARB which should be un-bolted first. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #732804 3rd Oct 2018 8:45pm
Co1

Exactly right. The arbs stop the articulation. If you don’t have the spring compressors then unbolting the arbs would probably work. I thought of this in the 4th spring, having already compressed it!
Post #732808 3rd Oct 2018 8:50pm
Kit

Co1 wrote:
Exactly right. The arbs stop the articulation. If you don’t have the spring compressors then unbolting the arbs would probably work. I thought of this in the 4th spring, having already compressed it!

It would've worked without the ARB Wink 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #732810 3rd Oct 2018 8:52pm
Co1

Hindsight eh!! 👓
Post #732814 3rd Oct 2018 9:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
IIRC, I just unbolted the ARB to chassis and tied it up, nothing more to take off than that.
Then replace once done.

Main thing is you got it done in the end compressors or not, definitely a job to be careful doing hat's for certain. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #732819 3rd Oct 2018 9:28pm
Kit

Yep, agree with Steve. Kudos for getting it done yourself Thumbs Up 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #732830 3rd Oct 2018 10:24pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Any pics of how it sits now with the new springs? The idea of a better ride certainly appeals, but I also tow a caravan 6 or 8 times a year. Would such a setup still be fine with the caravan on the rear of the 90? Watching with great interest 👍
Post #732832 3rd Oct 2018 10:46pm
Co1

I wouldn’t think this would be the thing to do if you do a lot of towing. I don’t do any towing and don’t carry much load hence ge move away from HD. The back is currently sitting a touch low.
Post #732839 4th Oct 2018 5:50am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I've can say the same, ive put 110 front progressives on the front and rear of my 90. It rides so much better! You can actually feel the axles moving over bumps. I would personally like it a touch stiffer for the corners so I'm going to put fox dampers all round which are gas shocks and should be slightly firmer than the knackered originals. These are being justified as I only spent £85 for all 4 springs brand new genuine take offs.
Post #732922 4th Oct 2018 1:53pm
nitram17

Re: 90 Ride Comfort
Co1 wrote:
Today I finished replacing the springs on my 90. It’s a 2013 with 50k and HD springs all round. I replaced both rears with progressive front passenger 110 springs and the fronts with discovery springs at 150lb. I found the details on the petrolheads forum and if anyone was thinking of doing it, do it! It has made hell of a difference and cost about £80 for the springs and isolator including the vat. Well worth it for small bump sensitivity and better on potholes as well.

One bit of advice though, lots of places say you can do it without spring compressors just using the articulation alone. This is far from the case. The rears can be done just, and I mean with just with a lot of brute force. There is no way you would manage it without them on the front. Other thing to note is that the rear sits about 10mm lower and the fron 10mm higher with this set up. I might shim the back up a bit if I can be bothered, but I can’t see it with my eyes.

just looking at this again as ive just replaced my springs and you can do it without spring compressors or removing ARB.
My drive is sloping so i cannot safely jack up both wheels.
!.Remove turret cover
2.Jack up car on chassis axle stands for safety
3. Remove wheel
4.Jack under axle(bottle) of side your doing and support axle only.
5.Remove botton nut of shock(bracing shock with mole grips)
6.Remove turret nuts
7.lift out shock ant turret
8.lower jack on axle and remove
9.Place bottle jack on flat surface of bump stop on axle and jack up against chassis (pushing the axle down in controlled way)slowly in a controlled fashion being wary of brake hoses,springs will fall out ..no levering .pushing or shoving this should work for all except very long springs.

Click image to enlarge

I was surprised how controlled it was and if i can do it anybody can.Obviously there is limit to the articulation due to the brake hoses but it should work easily enough on all but the larger springs.
Post #994834 2nd Jun 2023 12:29pm
Dick

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Shire Blue
This is interesting, as im looking to replace my old, very rusty looking springs, with a set of the Britpart 'Light' duty 1" lift springs.

Very little information about or evidence of anyone that has used this kit.

Front lifts by 25mm, rear lifts by 40mm and the spring weight is about 5kg down on the 'standard' defender springs.

I have no 'accessories' pm the car to weigh it down and don't intend to be loading up particularly heavily.

Does my logic make sense in thinking that this will soften the ride a little?

Does anyone have experience with these springs?

I'm just hoping im not going to be wallowing round corners, but surely 5kg less wight rating over a 220kg spring isn't going to have much difference!
Post #1000073 14th Jul 2023 11:04am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
LandymanStefan wrote:
I've can say the same, ive put 110 front progressives on the front and rear of my 90. It rides so much better! You can actually feel the axles moving over bumps. I would personally like it a touch stiffer for the corners so I'm going to put fox dampers all round which are gas shocks and should be slightly firmer than the knackered originals. These are being justified as I only spent £85 for all 4 springs brand new genuine take offs.
Fox's wont make any difference to body roll around corners only ARB's or stiffer springs can help.
Post #1000085 14th Jul 2023 12:05pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Dick wrote:
This is interesting, as im looking to replace my old, very rusty looking springs, with a set of the Britpart 'Light' duty 1" lift springs.

Very little information about or evidence of anyone that has used this kit.

Front lifts by 25mm, rear lifts by 40mm and the spring weight is about 5kg down on the 'standard' defender springs.

I have no 'accessories' pm the car to weigh it down and don't intend to be loading up particularly heavily.

Does my logic make sense in thinking that this will soften the ride a little?

Does anyone have experience with these springs?

I'm just hoping im not going to be wallowing round corners, but surely 5kg less wight rating over a 220kg spring isn't going to have much difference!
Would avoid BP springs better to go with OME if you want a slight lift and less body roll
Post #1000087 14th Jul 2023 12:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>