Home > Technical > 300tdi - Oil Leaks for a change - Pic and leak Heavy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
No 6

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Coniston Green
300tdi - Oil Leaks for a change - Pic and leak Heavy
Hi All

I'm looking for some help, in bolting down the cause of these oil leaks and advice. It's a 94 90 300tdi 197K and I've only had it a short time. I'm happy to spanner on it and read up on what I can.

First up, leak front RHS of engine (dipstick side)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rocker Cover gasket looks OK but I'm changing it anyway to do the valve clearances, does that look like exhaust manifold and does this suggest turbo is about to go?

Second potential leak (injector)?

Click image to enlarge

Back of Rocker cover looks OK.

Click image to enlarge

Third Leak Area off the end of the oil filter, when looking down from above I can see a small amount of oil on top of the filter itself but the area against the engine side of the filter is pretty oily too?

Click image to enlarge

Underneath - Drip off front diff but presume it's travelling down from up above and landing here.

Drip, wiped but coming from the back of the sump just where it comes to it's lowest point. I've also noticed that drips forming on the gearbox mounts and some bolts on the transfer box and gearbox, these look like fairly clean oil and I suspect there blowing back there when I'm driving.

I know it's an old lump, my plans are to clean it all down then do the following -

1. Rocker Cover Gasket
2. Valve Clearances
3. Oil Filter and oil Change
4. Manifold Gasket
5. Cyclone Breather and pipes
6. New Breather pipes

Apart from a rebuild it there anything else I should be doing and any ideas on the leaks above?

Thanks in advance folks. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #727578 6th Sep 2018 4:29pm
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
Mine looks about the same. I'll not disscribe it as heavy. I did some research and came to the conclusion that it's the synthetic oil. If you are using synthetic oil then it's just seepage.
Post #727588 6th Sep 2018 5:28pm
Alex1976

England 
I had a similar situation on my 300tdi with 200k miles plus on it. Gave it a thorough degrease/steam clean then it was fairly easy to locate leaks.

You are on the right track with your thoughts and they are from the same places I found my leaks.

My vacuum pump was leaking and all that needed was a nip up of the mounting bolts.

I am happy to say after going through the same process as you my Defender does not leak oil.
Post #727592 6th Sep 2018 5:39pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I did about the same with mine ,once you fit everything and toque them down run it then check and tighten again , seemed to work on mine . Thumbs Up
Post #727593 6th Sep 2018 5:43pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I think I'd replace the sump pan too, looks like it has a big dent in it.

It all needs washing off really, so you can pin point the leaks.
Post #727598 6th Sep 2018 5:50pm
No 6

Thanks guys,

I didn't notice the sump dent, i'll look into that too.

I've also added oil pressure switch to the list too. Bit off topic but what does everyone use to clean the years of grime off from the underside of the block and places you can't reach from the top side? So many places can't be reached easily let alone cleaned.
Post #727607 6th Sep 2018 6:19pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Comma Hyperclean and either an old paint brush or a stiff parts cleaning brush. You can buy radiator paint brushes which are angled with longer handles.
Then wash it off with a hose, it's the best stuff I've found.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-HYP5L-Hyper...B003BPR9KA
Post #727626 6th Sep 2018 7:26pm
No 6

Thumbs Up I'll report back with findings as I go. Got six pairs of marigolds, 5 litres of degreasant, 4 brushes, a large box of parts and a long weekend! Smile
Post #727657 6th Sep 2018 9:22pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
steam cleaner? quicker and as good a job.

so what oil should they run then? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #727670 6th Sep 2018 10:00pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Eh maybe it’s the picture, but is your injector missing the spill pipe??? Shocked

When you take the sump off with a dent like that check the pickup isn’t bent. Could even be the reason is breathing heavy- restricted pick up pipe?

I find the 300s all leak a bit from the heads as they get up in miles.

The bolt in the side of the block, under the core plug is the coolant drain- proceed with caution as they can sometimes strip. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN IT! Seen people do this and it’s not a fun repair!

Check you’ve not another seal stuck on the oil filter housing (giving you two), looks like it’s leaking or nip it up. Mahle are the best filters in my eyes.
Post #727687 6th Sep 2018 11:07pm
No 6

Hi

Thanks for the info, am I right in saying the injector nearest the bulkhead is blanked on the left of it but should have a spill pipe on the right when looking at the picture?

I'll pop to Halfrauds later and pic some hose up. 3.2mm? May as well add them to the list and would explain the staining around that injector.

I'm leaving the coolant side of things alone for the time being, I want to replace the inter cooler (possibly upgrade it) and then do all hoses and pipes in silicone and give everything a good flush.

I'm a bit worried about the rear crank shaft oil seal, is this checked by looking up through the front inspection hole? I've read it should be dry in there as only fly wheel and clutch so any oil dripping from there means that needs replacing?

I'm almost hoping there are two seals on the oil filter, I would prefer a simple fix!!
Post #727709 7th Sep 2018 8:23am
thompjas

United Kingdom 
Following with interest as my 300Tdi 110 CSW has the same issues and I plan a similar approach.

An area where mine showed some staining/leakage was where the cyclone breather fitted back into the head. This has an o-ring seal that on mine was tired. I found that a standard plumbing 15mm o ring seal from a push fitting was the perfect size. It was noticeably tighter to put back in and the oil staining has stopped. so that's one less oil leak on mine.

Form another forum, the oil leak around the filer area could be an o-ring seal on the pressure switch and/or cooling pipes - these are on my list

Brake cleaner is a good product to clean with...... but can be expensive if used too liberally !
Post #727725 7th Sep 2018 9:52am
No 6

Right bumper update, got most things done and a few issues I could do with advice on.

First up, manifold gasket, I took the inlet off yesterday to clean up and got on with the main manifold this morning.

So Manifold off, Originally thought it might be leaking behind number 1 far front corner of the engine behind the dipstick, but found this behind door number 2 Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Cracked top and bottom, out of the 7 studs 6 came free from the block so these were replaced with new and new nuts.

Click image to enlarge

I would strongly recommend getting one of these Rolson telescopic LED inspection Mirrors, came in handy to locate the bottom manifold nuts, £7.99 from Halfords or if your like me, £3.99 from ebay. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

So surfaces cleaned and scraped back with plastic stanley blades and plenty of cleaner and new gasket went on. I actually think it was better that the studs came out as you would have very little room to get the gasket in and out, it's mm clearance to the end of the studs. To refit, I locked one nut to another and wound through until they felt snug.

A quick look at the blades on the turbo and a check of play showed slight damage to the fins and around 1mm - 2mm of side to side play.

A look down to the intercooler, the manifold inlet pipe had a fair coating of oil.

Click image to enlarge

Replaced the inlet pipe and turbo pipe with silicone while I was there.

Click image to enlarge

Then on to the rocker cover, valve gaps and diesel spill off pipes, clearances were ok but spill offs were Shocked Changed the cyclone breather and replaced the rocker cover breather pipe with silicone too.

The seal on the old cyclone was very hard, I initially thought it was plastic is was so stiff.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All complete cleaned down and a little polish of the rocker and inlet.

So feeling quite pleased with myself I went ahead and changed the fuel, air and oil filter, did an oil change and done or so I thought.

First problem.

The original oil filter was covered in oil as below, when I went to remove it it was less than finger tight, it moved as soon as I touched it. Easy fix I thought and must be wear the oil is coming from that keeps dripping off my front diff.

Click image to enlarge

Front diff drippy area.

Well all wiped down and took it for a drive, I noticed a lot more black smoke than before (used to be just on start up) but now on acceleration too.

Get back and the oil leak to the front is back and dripping off the diff and worse than before. Big Cry

I'm not sure if it's oil from the filter change sitting on the diff housing and running down or there's another issue altogether. I got underneath with a torch and my little mirror tool and can't see anything obvious. Off to the jest wash tomorrow to blast all the crap off then see if it still happening.

Any ideas on this and how shot is my turbo? Why is it smoking more?
Post #727901 8th Sep 2018 10:44am
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
Here's some ideas for the leak near the oil filter

https://www.landroverexpedition.com/techni...sing-leak/
Post #728234 10th Sep 2018 9:04am
No 6

Thanks for that, I'll do the Oil pressure switch as it's looking a little damp. Thumbs Up

Good news is I can't see anymore oil leaks from the filter area and front diff is now dry Very Happy

It's still leaking from off the lower bolt (nearest left) of the two just behind the sump in the below pic, seems to only leak after driving so pressure, heat or vibration seem to trigger it.

I took a look in the small inspection hole where you can see the flywheel and all looks dry and no oil is coming out of there. Might have to drain the new oil and take a look at the sump seal.

Post #728431 10th Sep 2018 10:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>