↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Norway Trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
A few pics from the trip:
On the way down from Stegastien view point.

Click image to enlarge

Possibly the weirdest camper conversion out there:

Click image to enlarge

A taste of hobbitland with the grass roof, in Myrkdalen near Voss.

Click image to enlarge

A fine Porsche tractor in a museum in Vik (wait for it) entirely dedicated to boat engines.

Click image to enlarge

A stunning stave church at Hopperstad, built in 1130.

Click image to enlarge

An oversized Defender with running gear, used to advertise an independent LR garage in De Krim, Holland.

Click image to enlarge

All good. The drive from Flam to Gielo along the 50 has to be one of the most beautiful roads anywhere, just jaw dropping vast landscapes at every turn.
Post #783672 28th Jul 2019 7:53pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Average speed cameras up and down the e6, not a problem in the winter!

Beautiful country, lovely people,I enjoy working there in Oslo by the sea
Post #783740 29th Jul 2019 9:01am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Here is the 50 route, miles of great ribbon and scenery:

Click image to enlarge
Post #783916 29th Jul 2019 9:17pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Stunning scenery Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #783935 29th Jul 2019 10:12pm
Darcy Fairfax

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
/\ what he said Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #783953 30th Jul 2019 12:25am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
So, what’s what? We did 2300 miles, av 25mpg and that was a mix of motorway, A road and mountain pass. The 110 performed well, no mechanical issues apart from a split fuel breather hose which just meant I couldn’t fill the tank completely. I had a minor disagreement with a golf in Bremen which the body shop will have to sort, nothing drastic....

Click image to enlarge

Lessons learned:
1. get aircon fitted
2. get aircon fitted
3. fit heat / sound insulation around the transmission tunnel
4. cruise control would have been handy
5. See 1 and 2
6. When secure parking has a height limit of 2.1m, take a chance as the likelihood is you’ll fit and it saves you sweating about parking on a backstreet.

The kids loved Holland, I suspect because we went for a run and it was pancake flat, but everything about the drive and the stay at Putten was really enjoyable.

Driving in Germany wasn’t so much fun, the motorway around Hamburg- think M25, bank holiday Friday, even on a Tuesday lunchtime.... has massive roadworks which look to last a good while. The stereotype BMW or Audi up your chuff on the autobahn wasn’t common. Nice drive from Putten to Bremen away from the motorway.

Driving through Denmark - it rained constantly on the up and the down trip, which I’m sure isn’t always the case! There is an awesome cafe (Cafe Butler) in Aabenraa. Christianfeld is a small town and UNESCO world heritage site which we stopped at on the way back. I suspect it is used a lot for filming as there were no overhead cables or road markings in the middle, and it seemed familiar!

Ferry admin in Denmark and Norway is awesome, something you notice when you return to the UK.

Norway, I’m biased but it’s just stunning. The ‘only’ downside is the cost. Just picking up some very basic picnic grub (bread, cheese, ham, crisps) from a supermarket to make lunch is £30. Dinner out for 2 adults and 2 kids is circa £120. Beer is around £10 a pint(ish). I’m sure there are places where it is less but in the middle of Stavanger, Bergen, Oslo it isn’t. In the mountain areas of Vik, Flam, Myrkdalen, it isn’t... I’m a bumpkin so found the Opera House in Oslo amazing...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Some tourist traps are worth it- Stavanger and Bergen have some beautiful buildings, but some aren’t e.g. Flam. Having a friend over there with local knowledge helped a great deal. Plans need to change to suit the conditions- normally Bergen is 12-18c this time of year but hit a record temp so none of the running / walking / kayaking activity was viable. I also had a hamstring go whilst water skiing, so that made things a bit tricky too...Mrs H had to drive a bit the next day!

Click image to enlarge

We will definitely return to Norway but look to ship the 110 over and fly out and pick it up. I’d definitely do it again but take more time out and stay for longer in the places we like. A roof tent and associated camping kit would be good next time!

Click image to enlarge
Post #784488 2nd Aug 2019 7:13am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great write up and photos, thank you. Still dreaming of a similar trip Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #784505 2nd Aug 2019 8:26am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Here's a thought, with regard to you thinking about getting your Def shipped over for the next trip. I'm assuming that's to overcome the hassle of long drives and make sure you maximise the time in-country? I wonder, therefore, if there's any mileage (pardon the pun) in having a thread looking for drivers? I'm sure there are people on the forum who because of time/money/opportunity cannot do an extended trip of any sort, but would welcome 'delivering' a Defender on behalf of Ann owner to a foreign destination and then a quick easyJet flight back? Agreements who meets the costs agreed between owner and driver, but it would still probably be cheaper than paying a transporter. This then achieves two aims. Gets the Def delivered for the owner, they can meet the vehicle on the first day of their hols and make the best of their trip; someone with limited time/funds gets to enjoy a two or three day mini-break travelling across Europe. Surely there must be one or two on this forum that that would suit? Just a thought.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #784507 2nd Aug 2019 8:39am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
That’s an interesting idea! The €700 to ship it direct (one way) seems like good value when you factor in the fuel, the hotels and food etc.

I saw your post re the wave from non Defender folk. On the way from Gielo to Oslo we stopped in a lay-by to stretch legs and fill up water bottles. There was a German registered camper van there and as soon as I pulled up the owner jumped up, came over and said ‘ah one of the last’ and then asked if he could take photos! Norbert turned out to be a member of the German owners club and a very happy 110 TD5 driver. There is no escape!!
Post #784694 3rd Aug 2019 6:17pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Shipping sounds good but I've heard issues of delays and 'bits' often going missing which puts me off a little.

I'm pretty sure it was Ardent who said on their tours they ship and meet in Norway. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #784733 3rd Aug 2019 9:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123