↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Roof Rack Failures.....?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Markez79

Roof Rack Failures.....?
Hi,

As the title suggests, have any of you had a roof rack fail/break? If so, could you tell me the main cause? I am in the market for a low profile modular design but there are so many options! From what i have learnt it is the 'legs' that are the weak point.

Thanks

Mark
Post #727519 6th Sep 2018 10:56am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I bought a 7-8year old Hannibal rack which had been used overlanding all around Europe so has had some proper use. Whilst it has some flaking paint and aluminium corrosion it is still structurally very sound. The Hannibal is one of the lowest profile, second only to probably Brendan's Cargo Bear. The Hannibal also has a rail that runs the entire length of the gutter which must help spread the load. I'd highly recommend Hannibal (if you can justify the price!).

Shameless photos Whistle Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #727530 6th Sep 2018 11:30am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The Patriot rack is essentially very, very similar to the Hannibal, and is probably just as good. Those of use with Patriots reckon they're better than Hannibal, and vice versa, of course.

I have had many heavy things on mine without any issues. The mounting on mine is hybrid (and not the standard Patriot mounting) sine it started life on an SW and I converted it to fit a DC, hence the odd leg spacing etc.

Failures of good quality roof racks are, I think, rare.

Shameless photo of an exceptionally dirty Defender:

Click image to enlarge
Post #727536 6th Sep 2018 11:43am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I think the Patriots are also a great rack!

Am I right in thinking the Patriot racks bolt together rather than welded? Probably an advantage for repairs and modifying? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #727538 6th Sep 2018 11:55am
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
IMO the relatively weak structure of the Defender will likely fail before any decent roofrack, especially the seam between the two roof halves above the B-pillar and the front corner. As much as we like to think otherwise, our Defenders are not as indestructable as we like to think based on the iconic Camel Trophy imagery.
If you're really worried about a roofrack failng because you intend to seriously load it, then you'd better consider a roll cage first to bolt the roofrack on. Take a close look at your car''s upper structure and you'll quickly realise that it actually is rather flimsy. I think the gutter mounting of the Hannibal over the full length is a good reason to choose a Hannibal. Defenders take them very well, whereas in contrast other brands of cars apparently can break because of the Hannibal's stiffness.
I have a secondhand Hannibal of the older generation (completely welded, apparently they're shipped in kit form/ pieces nowadays) and it's very sturdy. The main load bearing profiles are mounted longitudinally on the Hannibal, whereas most others are perpendicular and more prone to wind noise.

In the e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t book 'Vehicle Dependent Expedition Travel' Tom Sheppard warns for the lack of proper fixing in the driving direction. He has seen several heavily loaded roofracks slide of a 110's roof in steep descents during desert expeditions. He also mentions the relative low roof loading limit by the way.

A couple of months ago I loaded two large 2,5" slabs of maple on our 110, probably close to 200kgs, and ever since the roof is creaking above the B-pillar. Usually it carries a hardshell rooftop tent (approx 65kgs) and a Darche awning (probably approx 35kgs with all braces and fixtures included).

greetings,

Joris
Post #727543 6th Sep 2018 12:18pm
Markez79

Thanks very much to those who have responded - a great help. I can't sere clearly from their website, but does the Patriot rack have 'T slots' much like the FrontRunner, Eezi-Awn K9, Rhino Rack, Hannibal etc. If so, are these 6mm or 8mm fixings?

Thanks

Mark
Post #727551 6th Sep 2018 1:33pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I have seen many types of roofracks and have heard all sorts of stories about roof racks failure.

Bolted together roof racks 'the bolts come undone and your rack falls apart'

Welded together roof rack then 'welds break, try finding an ali or stainless steel welder in the middle of XYZ desert'

The Defender bodywork can flex so there is a possible argument that a roofrack which can flex is better then one which is solid.

What I would say is avoid the LR ones as they tend to rust. Also avoid the el cheapo ones as they can be a pain to fit, i.e. loose rather then captive nut at back of clamp, non level platform etc. I have also seen some poor quality powder coating as well.

Now if the feet are an integral part of the main transverse roof bars I can not see them breaking without major structural damage to the vehicle which would be a bigger source of concern.

So a low profile and modular roof rack? Then that is the Nakatanenga Cargo Bear. Roof racks from other manufacturers tend o be build for a particular vehicle say a 90, 110, 130, double cab etc. The Cargo Bear is a truly modular roof rack. Can start with 1 or 2 roof bars and build it up to a 90 roof rack, then extend it to a 110, and then extend it further to a 130.

Think very carefully what you want to use the rack for. If just for a roof tent then 2 or 3 good roof bars will do. Sacves weight, saves money.

If you are going to the Peterborough LRO show come and have a chat and a look on stand J14

Brendan
Post #727560 6th Sep 2018 2:15pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
JOW240725 wrote:
...Am I right in thinking the Patriot racks bolt together rather than welded? Probably an advantage for repairs and modifying?

Yes, you are correct, however as standard many of the fasteners (which are all A2 stainless as standard) are threaded into the aluminium, and consequently weld themselves in. If I bought one new I would either ensure that I had a tub of Weicon paste to hand when assembling the rack, or would replace the A2 fasterners with BZP steel, or most likely both. I am not a fan of stainless fasteners for general purpose use.

There is certainly no danger of the fasteners coming loose in use.

Markez79 wrote:
...does the Patriot rack have 'T slots'...

No, it doesn't have T slots.
Post #727561 6th Sep 2018 2:16pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I have recently bought a second hand Flatdog rack and having legs modified to incorporate a welded on full length gutter rail in the style of the Hannibal. In addition to spreading the load, the rails make installation/removal a one man job.

Currently fitted to my 90 is a 1.7m perfectly good Hannibal which is the older generation (bolt together but no T slots in the load bed rails). Not enough depth at the front on the Hannibal for my next project, which is to fit 4 x old school Safari 5000 driving lights.

My Hannibal will be up for sale soon (shameless plug) Laughing
Post #727562 6th Sep 2018 2:20pm
Markez79

leeds wrote:

Now if the feet are an integral part of the main transverse roof bars I can not see them breaking without major structural damage to the vehicle which would be a bigger source of concern.

Would this include The Hannibal? That rack appears to have the feet attached to a bar that sits in the gutter.

Thanks

Mark
Post #727564 6th Sep 2018 2:39pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Mine similar to Blackwolfs , A Patriot rack,but the other way round, was a DC, and converted to a SW Smile
Click image to enlarge

Would i buy another, Yes, but no point, bar for being a tad duller in shine, work and performs the same as when i bought it 13 odd years ago, for a new 2005 DC

Click image to enlarge
 California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #727677 6th Sep 2018 9:20pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Our Defender 130 has a Patriot. Amazing engineering and reasonably light. We have 2 roof tents, one spare wheel and tyre and 4 full Jerry cans on it. At night we have 3 teens and two adults sleeping on it too. Not even a creak.

Click image to enlarge
 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #727699 7th Sep 2018 5:47am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
If I remember correctly the long roof rack from Patriot was 83 or 86 kg. That isn’t reasonably light in my book. 😄
Post #727702 7th Sep 2018 6:08am
AJC

United Kingdom 
Full length patriot for me. Powder coated black

Click image to enlarge
Post #727708 7th Sep 2018 7:23am
Markez79

Many thanks for all the responses - appreciated.

Mark
Post #727846 7th Sep 2018 9:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>