↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Nakatanenga Roof Tent and other kit.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Nakatanenga Roof Tent and other kit.
Hi Guys,

We’ve just returned from our summer trip to Spain, unfortunately problems with our private water system at home necessitated returning early, but the time we had was the time I’d allocated for our off roading and on roading tour of the Pyrenees which included going off road using a Wikiloc track in the West and finding the old smugglers routes into and out of Andorra so not all was lost! A fantastic trip which I would recommend to everyone, the scenery was just incredible.

I thought I’d do a practical review of the equipment we used and would recommend.

We have a Nakatanenga 1.65m Roof Lodge Extended Roof Tent, this was, quite simply superb but (there’s always a but!) we’ve had a few problems with niggling faults which I think are just the result of bad quality control. The good bits - the basic tent is very well engineered, the floor is made of a composite material which is solid and does not flex, all the fixings appear to be either stainless steel or alloy. It is comfortable, the mattress is just the right firmness and the special anti condensation matting under the mattress seems to do its job as we’ve experienced non, it’s very roomy, very easy to erect and take down, (once you figure out the technique) we’ve got it down to 10 mins up 15 down! it has two clear panels in the fly with corresponding opening canvas panels and fly screens, this makes it wonderfully bright and airy, but you can still close them if you’d like it darker.
A useful addition is the under ‘floor’ storage net, useful for shoes or wash kit. This also allows one to roll up the cover and secure it with bungees so you don’t have to take it off to access the doors of the Defender when not using the annex.
The flysheet attachment is unusual, it has a separate frame, this ensures that there is an air gap between the fly and the main tent which must help in keeping it cooler and drier than some of those we saw with the fly sitting directly on the main tent. We used the tent in 43 degree heat and a torrential downpour, it kept pretty cool and no leakages whatsoever. And, SWMBO loves it! Result Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

This is the under floor net, as you can see I've hooked bungees to the support clips to hold up the travel cover to save thing it off each night

Click image to enlarge

These two photos how how bright and airy it is.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now for the bad, I went for this design as it has an awning to enclose the ladder access area thus, in theory, giving a dry enclosed area for changing, eating or whatever. Trouble is it leaks, I feel that this is due to the absence of sealing tape on the stitching, particularly where it zips to the groundsheet tub. I have taken this up with Brendan, at 4x4overlander and Nakatanenga have supplied me with a Tent repair kit and some seam sealant, time will tell whether it works as we haven’t used the awning on this trip.
We have had problems with the stitching on the cover, at one of the corners and at the ladder section it has come unstitched and thus no longer water tight. Luckily, I have an overall cover which I purchased from Cunningham Covers so will be using that until I get it sorted.
Finally, the ladder, it uses the two part sliding aluminium design with locking knobs you pull out to adjust the height and use to retract for travel, the problem with the locking knobs, the plastic end which you lift, is brittle and started to crack after a few day, one knob finally coming off in my hand, when I get home I’ll get the epoxy out and try and sort it or figure out a way of modifying it.

The good bits far outweigh the bad, as I said at the start of this section it is superb, it’s just a great pity we’ve had these niggling problems with what is not a cheap tent. The other thing we’ve found is that it’s a great conversation starter, almost everywhere we’ve gone it’s attracted loads of interest and photo taking. I would thoroughly recommend it.

Now, in brief, for the other things we have found invaluable.

A cheap folding step up from Screwfix! It makes folding the tent away much easier and allows easy access all round the vehicle, and it’s just the right height to act as a stool and/or a table - invaluable, won't now go anywhere without it!

Click image to enlarge

My Primus Eta Lite stove. This boils ½ litre of water in what seems like seconds! By the time I’ve put the coffee in the cafetière it’s boiled. And it’s very economical on gas!

Click image to enlarge

My home made table, simple and quick to deploy, ideal for lunch stops when you can’t be bothered to assemble the folding tables.

Click image to enlarge

My Outhaus awning, easy to deploy and retract and a godsend in the 43 degree heat and a torrential thunderstorm and downpour!

Click image to enlarge

The 35 litre ARB fridge, worked flawlessly and supplied me with very welcome supply of cold beer, as well as keeping the milk, bacon, sausages and cheese fresh.

And to power the above and to charge iPads, phones, cameras etc my home made 12v power bank. This has a 110 Ah deep cycle battery charged from a Ctek dc/dc charger via the Defender’s alternator or an 80w solar panel, we only used the solar panel when camped for more than one night. The box has a 12v cigar lighter socket, a 12v din socket, Anderson connectors and 4 USB sockets.

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #723630 15th Aug 2018 6:58pm
TACK

Out camping now and have the perfect place for the hop up Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #723655 15th Aug 2018 8:44pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Nice write up. Having just got into roof tents myself, I agree with the usefulness of a step! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #723657 15th Aug 2018 8:53pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Looks great,

Out of interest what weight do the tents support, I'm 6ft 2 and on the large bone build size... Very Happy the way it over hangs looks a lot unsupported by the rack. I've just been away to the Alps in my Defender and spotted a few different tents on different cars and may look into them,

Is there an option of 2 adults and 2 kids? is it two separate tents or one tent and the awning setup for the kids? The only negative I see is having to still get up and down the ladders in the night if nature calls.... We take a porta potty in our normal tent.. Smile

Great looking at stuff though so will see whats about,
Post #723676 15th Aug 2018 9:50pm
ChrisCM

Hi Tack,

How’s that held up there? Isn’t it a bit vulnerable to rough ground and road dirt? I ratchet strap mine to the roof rack, takes second to get on and off, it always first off last on.

Stacey007, I would say that between us we must weigh 160+ kg, no problem. It’s 2.4m long and 1.65m wide (which is why we hung it over the side of the vehicle rather than the back) so plenty of room. I would imagine 3 could fit in there no problems, my awning doesn’t have the option, but a lot of similar ones offer sides to make it into a room so that could be your option?

Re the nocturnal nature calls, when I’m on my own I use a bottle but SWMBO disapproves when she is in there and I have to go down the ladder, I thought it might be a bit of a faff but you soon get used to it and I didn’t find it much more of a problem than getting up and out of My Oz Tent.

The hinge isn’t supported by the rack, that’s not how they work, when it unfolds the two halves lock together by means of two extrusions which interlock. In fact, it’s self supporting without the the ladder if there is no one in the tent so you can swing the ladder up out of the way to give you a clear covered area.

Enjoy your search ... there’s so much and so many options. 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #723730 16th Aug 2018 9:02am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
+1 for the hop up - I've been taking one camping for years and it really is the most useful thing. I'm on holiday now and even though not camping, still have one as it makes getting the bikes off the roof so much easier. (The air suspension on the D4 helps, too Laughing ) Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #723740 16th Aug 2018 9:28am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Great write-up.

QQ if I may please:
Quote:
And to power the above and to charge iPads, phones, cameras etc my home made 12v power bank. This has a 110 Ah deep cycle battery charged from a Ctek dc/dc charger via the Defender’s alternator or an 80w solar panel, we only used the solar panel when camped for more than one night. The box has a 12v cigar lighter socket, a 12v din socket, Anderson connectors and 4 USB sockets.

Any chance of more details? Pics?

Cheers Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #723773 16th Aug 2018 11:34am
m3vert

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 2.5 TD PU Stornoway Grey
Nice write up Chris Smile I just need to get the other half on board but sadly she is to accustomed to hotels that she point blank refuses to camp Sad
Post #723777 16th Aug 2018 12:00pm
TACK

Chris

It not that venerable and it’s gone on their for my current trip. Done 2 days of green lanes in Thetford and no issues at all, it’s tick out of the way and the chassis is lower than the hop up. TBH I would not put it up on the rack as its cover in paint and would ruin the Feng Shui of the vehicle!

Sitting by the side of it have a beer

Click image to enlarge
Post #723872 16th Aug 2018 8:20pm
ChrisCM

MartinK,
Couple of photos of my power bank, still a bit dusty from the Spanish tracks!:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The Ctek D250 dc/dc charger is connected via the large yellow Anderson connector via a 30A fuse. Power to the fuse board is taken via the isolator and from there to the various outlets, usb, cigar lighter, Anderson 30A connector and din socket. The voltmeter is switched again via the isolator. All the negative connections are taken to a -tive bussbar opposite the yellow Anderson connector. The temperature sensor for the charger is inserted into the hole beneath the voltmeter where it is close to the positive pole of the battery.
The box is a generic battery box, the only thing to be aware of is the height of the battery and whether it will interfere with the fittings attached to the lid. It sits behind the passenger seat, I’ve removed the 1/3rd seat from the rear to mount my fridge and it sits just in front of that:

Click image to enlarge
 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #723958 17th Aug 2018 10:32am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
That power bank is really smart. I may have a look at plagiarising that! I've been thinking of something similar for a while! Thank you for taking the time to post. Well impressed Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #723959 17th Aug 2018 10:44am
ChrisCM

MartinK,

You’re welcome, if you need anymore info just ask!

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #723969 17th Aug 2018 12:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1