↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Toyo Open Country MT 255/85 16
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Providing you stick with a 1.4 transfer box you shouldn’t have any issues, you won’t notice too much difference with the higher 5th as that will mostly be for motorway (or high speed road) use only when you are not looking to use the full engine torque.

As for nidges comment on it not suiting a td5, I think that isn’t necessarily true. I ran 255’s in a standard td5 without any issues,no problem towing or anything, the only thing I ever noticed that off road I tended to use low first instead of 2nd to keep the engine further up the torque curve. But it certainly never struggled even with 3.5+ton behind it

I find 28-30psi all round seems to be about the optimum tyre pressure for my bfg’s but that is all down to the vehicle set up and what I want from the vehicle.

A few friends have swapped from bfg to toyo and pretty much all have regretted it, the drive certainly is very different going between a bfg and a toyo. The toyo are definitely a larger tyre and they are a lot heavier but are also significantly cheaper.
Post #933381 13th Dec 2021 11:24am
donmacn

jimbo - thanks very much. I think that sort of wider context is probably enough for me. Valuable to hear of others experiences before spending my own cash.

I hadn’t actually realised just how expensive BFGs had become until yesterday. Putting 4 of them on a car will put a serious dent in the wallet; but even at that it’s a false economy if they’re not what I’m after.

I have emailed BFG about doing 255/85 AT but I’m not going to hold my breath. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #933467 13th Dec 2021 8:30pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Toyo Open Country Mud
Hello,

Just wanted to chuck in my threepennies worth on the BFG vs Toyo debate.

I ran 2 sets of 255/85/16 BFG KM2s on my 110, and ended up getting refunded on my second set after quality issues with the caskets after less than 1000miles.

I fitted a set of 255/85/16 Toyo Open country Muds on the 110 as they were the only brand I could get the size at the time.

Few bits of feedback

- The Toyos took significantly less weight to balance (less than half in one case)

- The Toyos are quieter, immediately noticable jumping from a virtually brand new set of BFGs to the Toyos.

-On road performance- especially wet road the Toyos are a lot more predictable and have to be pushed a lot harder to lock up or slide

- Off road I would say the performance is similar, the BFGs maybe edge them in really heavy clay with clearing *slightly* more efficiently due to a more open tread, the Toyos don't seem to chip as badly in sharp rocky environments.

I would also say that the squarer profile of the Toyos seem to allow them to clamber out of ruts more effectively- they also seem to find grip on 'slick' surfaces where my BFGs didn't.

Overall I'm pleased with them, I have subsequently fitted a set to our L200 which we use for off road training too which are 12k miles in now and cant fault them, they appear to be wearing well.

I did have to play with the tyre pressures quite a bit to find where they are happiest- the L200 being leaves on the back its very noticeable.

Chris
Post #933669 15th Dec 2021 3:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I always find it interesting how tyre threads bring out the "Marmite effect"! Rolling with laughter

Since 2002 I've covered in excess of 500,000 miles on BFG KMs on my Def and Disco2, starting with the original KM (legendary durability, 100k miles quite achievable on a single set) through the KM2 and now the KM3.

The KM2 and KM3 do not last as long as the original KM, but the KM3 appears slightly better than the KM2 in that respect (I think they are a softer compound than the originals). As far as road manners are concerned, none has ever given me the slightest cause for concern on dry or wet tarmac, I have never locked them up or had them let go, but I do drive my Defender in a manner appropriate for a 3 tonne 4x4 on mud tyres and not like a loony. The only time I have had the slightest issue with them is on hard-packed snow and ice where they are unquestionably at a disadvantage compared to Nokkians.

I really cannot think of any conceivable reason why I would change to anything else, as long as these are available.

If anyone is interested, the Disco is on 265/75x16s (I started on 245/75x16 for the first set, then went to 265) and the Def is on 255/85x16.
Post #933677 15th Dec 2021 4:16pm
west4x4

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Good to hear some recommendations for these tyres in this size. Thinking of changing my very worm 35” big muds out for some to be a little more sensible than these big ballons
Post #934245 19th Dec 2021 3:28pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
Interesting read, although I don't manage to get anywhere near some of the milages stated on any tyre, on any vehicle. The Toyo Open Country MT's on my 110 have covered around 12k so far and I'd say by around 25 - 30k they'll be worn out. They're quite and grip well, both on and off road and I'd happily have another set when the time comes.

For comparison I had a set of BFG MT's on a different 110 twenty years ago and they lasted 25k before they had to be replaced at the legal limit.

In fact I've only had MT's on my Land Rovers and Jeeps, none have ever passed 25k before needing replacing.

The ones I preferred the most were Kumho MT 51, on a Jeep, followed by these Toyo's on the 110.

The worst were Insa Dakar's, on another Jeep, followed by BFg mud terrains ( two sets, on two different 110's ) which looked good, but I found them to skittish on a wet road, although ok otherwise.

So it's ten out of ten for the Toyo's for me.
Post #1012646 25th Oct 2023 9:17pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
The Toyo is a good all round tyre, but probably more aggressive AT than true MT. The KM3 is much better in the mud and aggressive remoulds another level again over the Toyo.

For running about, laning, overland etc it is good and a lot cheaper than the BFG in this size and in the UK the only real option on a budget unless you stumble across any Maxxis tyres in this size (haven't seen any for a couple of years...).
Post #1012669 25th Oct 2023 11:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345