↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Autocar article on new Defender £40,000 starting price!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Alltnaha

Wholly agree re D4. I've been lurking here as I had a D3 for 7 years and now 6 years in my D4, but have zero interest in the D5, so am keenly awaiting the new Defender. I drive off road regularly and in snow and want a capable all rounder.

But with the drop in resale value of all diesels and a very high priced Defender I am thinking of hanging on to the D4 for as long as possible i.e. until the bills get too much.
Post #723737 16th Aug 2018 8:18am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I have three Defenders that are work vehicles and are now on extended warranty, we are awaiting the new Defender however as its nowhere in sight it looks like we will be going elsewhere. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #723741 16th Aug 2018 8:29am
Slideywindows

England 
Alltnaha wrote:

I am thinking of hanging on to the D4 for as long as possible i.e. until the bills get too much.

I went through this with my almost last-of-line Range Rover Classic, as I did not like the then new P38A.

It depends on the mileage you do, but it can be surprising how long you can keep an older vehicle until the annual maintenance cost equals or exceeds the annual depreciation on a new vehicle.

In the end, I've kept the RRC for 21 years and still have it.

I changed the suspension air-bags after 19 years and the only time it has let me down is when the alternator failed.

The annual costs, averaged out, are less than the depreciation on a new one and as a bonus, the value of the RRC is going up rather than down.

The trick is to maintain and service it well, and not try to do it on the cheap.
Post #723747 16th Aug 2018 9:25am
Entreq

Germany 
well said Thumbs Up
Post #723821 16th Aug 2018 3:01pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
@slidey.... Have we seen this RRC you speak of? Whistle
Post #723826 16th Aug 2018 3:55pm
Alltnaha

Slidey - good point re using depreciation as a comparator with maintenance costs. Also I'll get the best roadside service outfit for any breakdowns. There again, with my 1990 FFRR after 7 years of breakdowns I was glad to see the back of it!
Post #723831 16th Aug 2018 4:12pm
Ramajama

United States 
Ramsay wrote:
In UK terms maybe.

While the £ is still a bit above the dollar that is too much in world terms. In the US the Wrangler starts at $27,495

https://www.jeep.com/wrangler.html

Salutary reading. Wash out interior anyone?

You will have the same chances of seeing a $27k Wrangler on the lots in the US as you would have seeing a real life Unicorn. BUT, I guess if one really wanted a super stripped down Wrangler, they could get one. Jeep does have the bases covered.
Post #723974 17th Aug 2018 12:14pm
Ramajama

United States 
Vintagepaul wrote:
Muddybigdog wrote:
Personally I think the article was to sell more copies of autocar then actually providing real facts, why would LR give insights to a launch 2 years away?

Manufacturers will often 'leak' information on forthcoming models to raise interest and keep the brand/model in the public eye.

Also, if this articles information has come from JLR is it not a clever way of telling us that we won't see the new Defender now until 2020, not 2018/19 as previously implied?

LR is weird about their new models. They leaked just enough info on the D5 and showed off the Vision concept vehicle to keep interest up and the launch ended up being substantial. They leaked virtually nothing on the Velar and the launch went off with a fizzle and a pop.
The Defender is obviously a big deal but the ultra secrecy is highly annoying, even though it’s understandable. As of now, regardless of this article, we still know virtually nothing.
Post #723975 17th Aug 2018 12:22pm
myonehere

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Well I know a bloke who...... .... (!!!)

No, really, he got close to several which were at Gaydon during an, unconnected, organised visit.

And what he says is that they looked nothing like the Autocar or other images that are about on 'net.

In fact, he says they looked "very nice", unmistakably Defender and even incorporated the side rounded swage line and with "defender" like rear lights. They included some very clever trim ideas too.

We can hope, anyhow.

Last edited by myonehere on 17th Aug 2018 1:15pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #723976 17th Aug 2018 12:36pm
Ramajama

United States 
Well that’s encouraging. I just wish they’d hurry. We are still 6-9 months from trading off the DS. The Defender is a big possible contender for us. I can’t wait!
Post #723978 17th Aug 2018 12:48pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Grenadier wrote:

Slightly OT but I was thinking just the same thing a couple of days ago about the new Discovery. I saw one parked alongside a Disco IV and I thought I cannot see the current Disco getting the same following as the outgoing model which I think most agree was an absolute corker. Ability, spec and that iconic look nailed. Therefore I thought that Disco IVs could become a future classic and retain strong resale values for those who must have a 7-seater and for those that don't, they'd buy the Disco Sport or the Velar. Same thinking with the Def.

I miss my disco IV the disco V is an embarrassment in the looks department, then again everything land rover these days is.

Stacey007 wrote:

£760 for a little BM albeit a quick one for 3 years..... Over £27K and I'm guessing an upfront payment also? Cannot get my head round that..

Guilty, Young me talked myself into a top spec '325D SE, I got talked into £10,000 deposit, £1 baloon payment. £49490 retail price. £1000 a month over 4 years... Neutral
Mind you she was a beut, nothing like drifting into the carpark at work, and stepping out of your oxblood leather seats, putting your sunglasses onto your red eucalyptus dash... and stepping out in a jeans a tee shirt past all the suit wearers in fiestas. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #724894 22nd Aug 2018 7:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234