↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Wolf box alternative.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Wolf box alternative.
I viewed these at the latest Adventure show and was underwhelmed.

They felt pretty flimsy and the plastic has a hard feel to it which from experience, can cause it to shatter or crack with a knock.

Sortimo use a similar plastic in their box's and will, when hit, crack.

I have no experience of Wolf box's doing this, but working with different container manufacturers, i have experience of the different materials used in containers which are thrown about and used in rough conditions.

I've always prefered the slightly softer and flexible plastic used by DeWalt in their toolboxs, from the DS3000 to the current t stax and was looking for something similar to go on the roof rack instead of the wolf box. The Dewalt box's have an air release valve too.

However, I found these;

https://www.keter.com/en/22-tool-box

It's a waterproof tool box with tote tray ( removable! ), metal locking clasps and stackable if you want to. It's manufactured from a flexible, softer plastic which means it'll handle being dropped, kicked, sat on, stood on and generally used as a box should be Wink

They come in at about £35 which is pretty reasonable for a 36litre waterproof box
Post #733002 4th Oct 2018 10:03pm
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I know what you mean about the Dewalt plastic as opposed to the Sortimo (I think Bosch use this system).

My T Stak boxes although marked and scratched have stood up well to being used as boxes, steps, seats and workbenches. I think it is the tough system version that has the air valves. My T Stak ones don't.
My mates Bosch boxes not quite so well with a few cracks appearing here and there.

The boxes that you have put a link to are very familiar but the one I have seen has JCB on it I wonder whether this may make a difference to the cost and or availability. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #733005 4th Oct 2018 10:13pm
Badger110

I primarily use Bosch, but 90% of my 18v range are in 2 Dewalt DS300. My tall ( router & Plunge saw ) Sortimo/Bosch box's are cracked, Dewalt still going strong.

The keter box's are identical in feel to the Dewalt.

Interesting to see if the JCB version is the same one
Post #733008 4th Oct 2018 10:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You'll also find the Keter boxes branded Magnusson at B&Q, and I think they're rebadged for other "own brand" sources too.

I bought a stack from B&Q on offer before Christmas last year and they seem to be holding up pretty well.
Post #733009 4th Oct 2018 10:43pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We have some of the original green wolf boxes with high lids as used by the South African military.

Have examined some of the black ‘wolf’ boxes. Where I could mic up the wall thickness the black ones were slightly thinner. The flow pattern from the injection moulding process was more pronounced and the colour of the black ones were not as uniform. This made me wonder about the amount of reground/reclaimed plastic used and the injection cycle timing in comparison to the original green ones. They also seem more prone to damage in comparison to the green ones.

So if you have the choice between the old green ones or the new black ones I would suggest you go for the green ones.

Brendan
Post #733012 4th Oct 2018 11:00pm
Badger110

blackwolf wrote:
You'll also find the Keter boxes branded Magnusson at B&Q, and I think they're rebadged for other "own brand" sources too.

I bought a stack from B&Q on offer before Christmas last year and they seem to be holding up pretty well.

B&Q have them still in stock, £32 each, well worth it.
Post #733172 5th Oct 2018 8:35pm
TACK

I use/used wolf boxes, pros and cons.

I have moved over to the 35 litre black really useful boxes which is. Stronger plastic than a normal really useful box. The size is a fraction smaller than the wolf inside, the wolf box external dimensions vs internal dimensions in my opinion is not as good as the RUF. The RUF is probably not as strong, but lighter, easier to open and close than a wolf and find packs better as the wolf box clips catch on fabrics, like oztent chair bags etc. Kids can sit on the RUF but I would not be sure if adults, which I do like about the extended lid of the wolf box.

B&q we’re doing them for about £12 recently. We use them in the house also for Lego, kids toys etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001O3IE6E/ref...&psc=1
Post #733210 5th Oct 2018 11:02pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Lately I've been using Wham bam heavy duty boxes. Ridiculously strong, think I read they are rated to 400 kilos, made in UK from recycled materials and places like proper job knock them out for a tenner.

https://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/boxes-for...-lid-p4080
Post #733213 5th Oct 2018 11:14pm
Badger110

RUBs are good containers, we use them for moving our snakes about!

The main reason for me to use the Keter/Magnusson box is that they're waterproof, lockable and will be strapped/fixed to the roofrack all the time
Post #733241 6th Oct 2018 9:22am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I use Really useful boxes 35L boxes in the back of the 90 when we take it abroad. 4 years and 4 trips on from buying them from B&Q, they're ready for anothe trip. Not bad for £12 a pair on special.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #733253 6th Oct 2018 9:59am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Another thumbs up for the Really Useful Storage Boxes. I also have the 35L variety in black. For me this size works. Big enough but when it’s packed to the brim it’s not too heavy to manhandle - or for the politically correct - womanhandle too. Oh hang on, that sounds even worse! I’ll get my coat!
Post #733292 6th Oct 2018 12:24pm
m3vert

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 2.5 TD PU Stornoway Grey
Zed wrote:
Lately I've been using Wham bam heavy duty boxes. Ridiculously strong, think I read they are rated to 400 kilos, made in UK from recycled materials and places like proper job knock them out for a tenner.

https://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/boxes-for...-lid-p4080

The boxes on there look really good value!! I am ordering a load to tidy up our loft for starters! If any good will give them a bash for storing stuff in the DCPU as well Smile thanks for sharing!
Post #733303 6th Oct 2018 1:04pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
With regard to the Really Useful Box (RUB) have been using them for a number of years now.

There are some good points about them, including large number of sizes, stackability etc. Good for storing items on a shelf and occasional lifting down.

However they are not really robust enough for a lot of use/transits and do not take knocks well. We have several with broken lids/handles and bases.

Will have a good look at some of the alternatives mentioned above to replace the RUBs

Brendan
Post #733307 6th Oct 2018 1:25pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
I too was underwhelmed by the Wolf boxes and decided I wanted something a little bigger, more robust and lockable. In the end I spent a bit more and bought 4 of the Zarges 40564 K470 Universal 550 x 350 x 380mm Aluminium Storage Cases - they were £90 each.

I realise this may be outside budget but I found them to be ultra strong, a useful size for loading, stack easily, can be strapped down tight and locked with cable and/or padlock in the latches, and also double as camp chairs/tables, and I would expect them to see me to the end of my driving days.

They're probably a bit OTT but i'm pleased with them and would buy more if needed.

Click image to enlarge
Post #733461 7th Oct 2018 2:38pm
Badger110

You may have been lucky there Thon, everywhere i look they are out of stock or £238 each!

I'm looking for a single larger box for roofrack duties
Post #733472 7th Oct 2018 4:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>