↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Ham radio and noise from injection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Ham radio and noise from injection
Has anyone experienced noise on ham or CB radio from the Td5 injection system?? It goes on the overrun so I am pretty sure it is from the injector loom/ECM. Will have a bit of and experiment with some ferrites on the injector wires but I doubt it will make much difference Big Cry

Any info appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #4674 13th Nov 2008 9:01pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Yes!
We don't have a CB permanently installed but borrowed one for an event, so it wasn't properly set up for the vehicle.
We had to stop the engine to use it.
Post #4681 14th Nov 2008 12:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TDfive

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Java Black
Laurie wrote:
Yes!
We don't have a CB permanently installed but borrowed one for an event, so it wasn't properly set up for the vehicle.
We had to stop the engine to use it.

set up a cb in mine last weekend for a bit of green laning and had no problems at all nothing special about the cb or arial just dragged it out the cupboard scrapped the inch of dust off it and it fired up no interferance at all -------------------------------------------------------
05 110 crew cab td5
1987 90 tc TD/200TDI DISCO CONVERTION
Post #4880 22nd Nov 2008 8:43pm
TD5DEF

United Kingdom 
Have you tried the clip on ferrites near each injector?It might work.I cant try out at this end, had the rig stolen.But I had really bad problems with the 706.Also try putting a nice wide earth lead type strap (braided) from bonnett to bulkhead to help suppress any rfi 73s Dave G4SVV.
Post #6289 14th Jan 2009 12:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wilfranco

South Africa 2007 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
I recentely set up and installed a Icom 706 MKIIG into the defender 90 TD5 and followed these standard insallation "rules"
1. connect the rig directly to the battery.
2. earth / bond the rig from the earth screw ( at the back of the radio) directly to the body ( remove paint to achieve a good connection)
3. bond the exhaust pipe to the chassis in at least 3 places along the length of the pipe to the chassis, once
again make sure that a good electrical connection is made to the chassis and the exhaust pipe.
4. bond the bodywork to the chassis. bond the engine to the chassis.

5.I used a "RF sniffer" and traced noise along the harness running from the CPU under the drivers seat to the motor, I then bought some clip on RF chokes from a amateur radio dealer " clipped them on" and most of the noise was gone,

The bonding straps were made out of RG 213 coaxial cable outer copper screening braid. fitted with the correct size lugs on each end,stainless steel hose clamps were used to attach the bonding strap to the exhaust pipe
there is a lot of information available on the net that refers to amateur radio mobile installations and they cover all the requirements for a good set up.
Kind Regards.
William Wright.
Johannesburg.
South Africa
Post #20992 31st Dec 2009 7:35pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Thankyou Will!

After a bit of playing about last year I followed a similar route as you, by fitting clip on ferrites to the 5 yellow injector wires on the ECU plug and the injector loom plug engine end. I also found the earth for the ECU on the bottom of the compartment to be quite poor, so I ran a good quality piece of cable from the (-) terminal on the battery across to the ECU (-) terminals this brought the noise down to an acceptable level. I've upgraded to an IC-7000 which is mounted on the baulkhead behind the cubby box wired directly to the battery, and so far the setup is working well!

73 and good DX!
Post #21103 2nd Jan 2010 10:02pm
wilfranco

good morning from the darker state of Africa.

Do you find the Icom IC 7000 less suceptable to noise than the Icom 706 MKIIG?,
The electronic control unit circuitary used on the TD5 motor is one of the noisiest I have come across,
I find that 30 Meters is affected the most.
Here in South Africa we use SSB during day light hours on 10 Mhz, which provides good coms, but before suppression the CPU noise made the band unusable, now it is not to bad,
In your reply you said you clipped on ferite chokes to the 5 yellow injector wires, did you fit 5 individual chokes or one clip on choke around all 5 wires both ends of the harness and if so, what type of clip on choke did you use. I used the MFJ types that are available from our local amateur Radio dealer.
I wonder how the millitaryTD5 powered Land Rovers, used by the signal squadrons, suppressed the CPU noise because it is a rediated noise which works its way in through the antenna, I have no noise if I remove the Hustler antenna from the mounting spring,
my amateur Radio call sign is ZS6WC and maybe we shouild try to make contact on 20 meters
Kind regards
William Wright
Post #21132 3rd Jan 2010 6:00am
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Hi William!

I find the DSP on the IC7000 cuts any remaining noise out from the audio, but weaker contacts are still 'lost in the noise' occasionally due to the remaining signal-noise ( Peaking to S9 on some bands - can't remeber off the top of my head exactly which). I fitted a single ferrite around all 5 wires effectivly bunching them together on both the ECU and engine ends. I did try removing each injector wire from the Econoseal plug on the ECU and choking them individually but this had poor results. I will try and upload a couple of pictures when I get a moment. I found exactly the same as yourself, by removing the antenna the noise dissapeared. In the process of moving house at the moment (In the snow Very Happy ) so will try and arrage a sked when i've rebuilt the shack....... Very Happy

All the best!
Post #21423 6th Jan 2010 7:19pm
wilfranco

Hello Steuart.
Thanks for the reply and the e mail, I would like to see the Photos, I have a choke fitted to the cpu under the drivers seat and at the cylinder head, I am unable to get 3m copper foil here in South Africa,but a friend of mine is over in the USA and will try and bring a box or two back with him when he returns in Feb. then I will screen the CPU under the Drivers seat, at the moment I have reduced the noise significantly but would like to reduce it even more, (Would the (-) pole be the CPU chassis ?)
I do notice that when I switch on the DSP the ANF tends to soften the audio levels, the NRL is set at level 5 which is that nice compramise between noise reduction and audio quality,
I would also like to investigate the electrical wiring from the CPU to the pump, granted the pump is mounted inside the tank and that is not a job I want to do so I will fit ferrite chokes around the wiring harness, today I was able to wrk mobile stations from Johannesburg to the coast, a distance of about 600Km.
So the adventure continues,
Regards, William Wright.
Post #21495 7th Jan 2010 5:38pm
L81ker

United Kingdom 
Found a UK braid supplier with low prices

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.asp...4#techspec
Post #68379 23rd Apr 2011 6:33pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Post #68395 23rd Apr 2011 9:00pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Sorry to resurect the thread

Can someone point out where I should be looking ot put the ferrites on the injector wires. and indeed how to find the injector wires themselves!

May be a photo woul help if anyone has one as I am keen to get the serious noise on my radio reduced

Cheers
CC
Post #442580 3rd Aug 2015 7:47am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
I can't say I have noticed interferance on my FT-7100m. Mine is just wired to the aux battery with no earth other than the negative lead and the antenna mounted to the roof rack.

73's 2e0dhn 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #442585 3rd Aug 2015 8:12am
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
well mines s7 noisy!

is it these?

Click image to enlarge
Post #442611 3rd Aug 2015 9:17am
Fatboy Slim