Home > Technical > 2.4 TDCI Power Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GreenArmour

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Chawton White
2.4 TDCI Power Issues
Hi,

I know you must all be bored with TDCI power loss posts and I have read each and every one of them on this forum trying to work out what's wrong with mine.

It's a 2010 Defender 110 (Puma) 2.4 TDCI.

Symptoms - If I drive at a constant (ish) speed like you would on a motorway then I can drive all day without problems. However, if I hit traffic, or drive where lots of gear changing, complete foot off accelerator and back on for power is required then intermittently I have total loss of power. If I'm gentle on the throttle then I can get it going again without stopping however in most cases the cure is to turn it off for two minutes. After a two minute 'break' everything is back to normal and there is no sign of the power loss. Always happens between gear changes, its fine until you have to change gear and when you try and get back on the power following a gear change there is nothing. The harder you try and accelerate the more it feels like it's being held back.

Engine management light does not come on and there are no errors shown on the HawkEye (yup, bought one just to try and properly diagnose this issue).

I also have a UltraGauge and the image below shows the readings I get whilst the problem is happening. At full throttle (Ped1 Pos % = 100) Fuel Rail PSI is severely lacking at 1649 (cant get it to go above 2000) as is the Fuel Rail 10K at 1287. Boost KPA, Mass Air Flow 1 and 2 all look OK?

The image below

Click image to enlarge

The following image shows the readings when the problem in not there and everything is normal;

Click image to enlarge

Things that have been changed trying to fix it...

Replaced Turbo and Actuator
Replaced Boost pipes to and from intercooler
Replaced MAP sensor
Replaced MAF sensor
Replaced Fuel filter
Replaced Engine wiring loom (that was fun)
EGR has been programmaticly disabled in ECU

So what's next? Starting to run out of parts to change now so I'm thinking of changing the fuel injector pump vapour sensor (part number LR009837) but as the fault clears by turning off, waiting 2 min, and turning back on again I cant help but think it's an electrical issue of which the only thing left to change (I think) is the ECU? Thoughts on this?

Does anyone have any other (sensible Laughing ) idea's? Would really appreciate your help if you have gone through any of this yourself.

Thanks for reading all of that!
Post #720366 29th Jul 2018 11:03pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Check that the battery earth connection is tight. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #720394 30th Jul 2018 8:11am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Volume Control Valve. Probably the first thing I would have changed.
Post #720398 30th Jul 2018 8:26am
GreenArmour

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Check that the battery earth connection is tight.

Thanks LandRoverAnorak - tried that, including a change of battery Smile
Post #720405 30th Jul 2018 9:17am
GreenArmour

blackwolf wrote:

Thanks Blackwolf - I have seen your name pop up in loads of posts so appreciate your response on this one. Is the 'volume control valve' the same thing as the 'fuel injector pump vapour sensor (part number LR009837)'?

Item 4 on this diagram...

https://www.landroverworkshop.com/diagrams...mp_45001#4
Post #720406 30th Jul 2018 9:18am
Minch90

United Kingdom 
Really long shot, mine did this intermittently for about a week before the water pump died
Post #720411 30th Jul 2018 10:07am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
^^^ Yours might have been going in and out of limp mode due to temp rising/water not circulating? 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #720413 30th Jul 2018 10:14am
Minch90

United Kingdom 
Ian you’re completely right I think that’s exactly what mine was doing, no warnings or temp gauge rising, just periods of no power. Warning lights etc only when it dumped all the coolant on the road!
Post #720414 30th Jul 2018 10:22am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
GreenArmour wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

Thanks Blackwolf - I have seen your name pop up in loads of posts so appreciate your response on this one. Is the 'volume control valve' the same thing as the 'fuel injector pump vapour sensor (part number LR009837)'?

Yes, that's the thing.

It may not of course be your problem, but it is usually the first thing to suspect in the case of poor running in the absence of DTCs, since the parts of the fuel system it affects are poorly monitored. If it is sticking and is not sufficiently responsive it is entirely possible that the fuel rail pressure is not reacting quickly enough to increased demand, such as the off-throttle/on-throttle sequence.

The first time I had one fail I was convinced I have a fuel contamination issue leading to the filter blocking, since I would get fuel starvation symptoms (fine on tickover but massive misfires/stalling etc when accelerating). If you stopped for a couple of minutes (usually I would drain some fuel out of the filter), then start up and it would be fine for a while, then repeat the cycle. Eventually the "fine" intervals got shorter and shorter. There were no fault codes at all.

Eventually (and after trying many fuel related things) I spoke to a main dealer's senior tech (a very helpful person who has provided me with advice on many occasions) who said that he would change the VCV and if that didn't sort it the EGR (which is disabled anyway on my Defender). New VCV and all was right as rain.

His comment was that the VCV is absurdly fragile and is very prone to failing, especially if any water or dirt gets in the fuel. He also said that his dealership changed them very regularly and found that it was the single most common fault with the Ford-engined Defenders. The Ford dealer I bought my replacement from sold so many that the parts man knew the part number off the top of his head and kept a stock under the counter.

In the end I came to the conclusion that my problem was indeed fuel contamination, since I had an unhealthy dose of the dreaded diesel bug, but it wasn't blocking the filter as I had thought but had instead knackered the VCV. Prior to changing the VCV I had dropped the tank and cleaned it, cleaned all the fuel lines, and had all my fuel professionally "polished" (it was shocking how much crud and detritus came out of supposedly clean fuel).
Post #720416 30th Jul 2018 10:24am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Your symptoms are the same as I had some time ago. The cause was the cylinder head temperature sensor was cutting power as the temperature rose above normal, there was no rise shown on the temperature gauge. I drove 150 ish motorway miles with no problem, but in traffic before and after the motorway I had power loss. No fault codes. I was convinced that it was bad diesel. Turned out to be a small leak in the radiator.
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54988.html

The point is that the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor reduces fuel rail pressure when it goes outside its normal range.
It seems to be much more sensitive than the temperature gauge.
When it operates there are no fault codes.
It quickly returns to normal as the temperature drops.
At motorway speeds air flow through the radiator is high enough to counteract low coolant level/low coolant flow.
To reduce temperature in the cooling system it cuts the aircon.

I was so convinced that the problem was fuel related that I did not check the coolant level.
After returning home I drove to my independent and suggested that it was a fuel related problem.
He took it for a test drive and a mile or so away from his garage it cut out and would not start.
He checked levels as a matter of course, added water and all was OK.

Anyway if the water level is OK it might be worth while to change the CHT sensor and check the cooling system.

Be Lucky

Thumbs Up
Post #720441 30th Jul 2018 1:07pm
GreenArmour

Minch90 wrote:
Really long shot, mine did this intermittently for about a week before the water pump died

Thanks Minch - been doing this ever since I bought it, 8 months ago. I would think the water pump would have given up completely in that time Smile
Post #720534 30th Jul 2018 8:24pm
GreenArmour

shropshiredefender wrote:
Your symptoms are the same as I had some time ago. The cause was the cylinder head temperature sensor was cutting power as the temperature rose above normal, there was no rise shown on the temperature gauge. I drove 150 ish motorway miles with no problem, but in traffic before and after the motorway I had power loss. No fault codes. I was convinced that it was bad diesel. Turned out to be a small leak in the radiator.
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54988.html

The point is that the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor reduces fuel rail pressure when it goes outside its normal range.
It seems to be much more sensitive than the temperature gauge.
When it operates there are no fault codes.
It quickly returns to normal as the temperature drops.
At motorway speeds air flow through the radiator is high enough to counteract low coolant level/low coolant flow.
To reduce temperature in the cooling system it cuts the aircon.

I was so convinced that the problem was fuel related that I did not check the coolant level.
After returning home I drove to my independent and suggested that it was a fuel related problem.
He took it for a test drive and a mile or so away from his garage it cut out and would not start.
He checked levels as a matter of course, added water and all was OK.

Anyway if the water level is OK it might be worth while to change the CHT sensor and check the cooling system.

Be Lucky

Thumbs Up

I spent ages trying to prove it was all temp related by monitoring the digital readings on the ultragauge. My conclusion was that it wasn’t as once up to running temp you would expect that it would happen again (after a 2 min off reset) a lot quicker than from cold... I have been wrong about the turbo, actuator, maf, map, boost pipes, wiring loom, fuel filter so not ruling out being wrong about temp either Laughing
Post #720537 30th Jul 2018 8:37pm
GreenArmour

blackwolf wrote:
GreenArmour wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

Yes, that's the thing.

It may not of course be your problem, but it is usually the first thing to suspect in the case of poor running in the absence of DTCs, since the parts of the fuel system it affects are poorly monitored. If it is sticking and is not sufficiently responsive it is entirely possible that the fuel rail pressure is not reacting quickly enough to increased demand, such as the off-throttle/on-throttle sequence.

The first time I had one fail I was convinced I have a fuel contamination issue leading to the filter blocking, since I would get fuel starvation symptoms (fine on tickover but massive misfires/stalling etc when accelerating). If you stopped for a couple of minutes (usually I would drain some fuel out of the filter), then start up and it would be fine for a while, then repeat the cycle. Eventually the "fine" intervals got shorter and shorter. There were no fault codes at all.

Eventually (and after trying many fuel related things) I spoke to a main dealer's senior tech (a very helpful person who has provided me with advice on many occasions) who said that he would change the VCV and if that didn't sort it the EGR (which is disabled anyway on my Defender). New VCV and all was right as rain.

His comment was that the VCV is absurdly fragile and is very prone to failing, especially if any water or dirt gets in the fuel. He also said that his dealership changed them very regularly and found that it was the single most common fault with the Ford-engined Defenders. The Ford dealer I bought my replacement from sold so many that the parts man knew the part number off the top of his head and kept a stock under the counter.

In the end I came to the conclusion that my problem was indeed fuel contamination, since I had an unhealthy dose of the dreaded diesel bug, but it wasn't blocking the filter as I had thought but had instead knackered the VCV. Prior to changing the VCV I had dropped the tank and cleaned it, cleaned all the fuel lines, and had all my fuel professionally "polished" (it was shocking how much crud and detritus came out of supposedly clean fuel).

VCV on order! Please, please, please let it be that Laughing
Post #720540 30th Jul 2018 8:42pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Can the Hawkeye to the ECU learning for fitting the new VCV?
Post #720620 31st Jul 2018 9:26am
Mc071963

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
all very interesting ...... I'm watching from a far !! Very Happy TD5 90 in Hertfordshire
Post #720669 31st Jul 2018 1:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>