↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Madman EMS2 Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MGRGPGBG

United States 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Madman EMS2 Install
I am in the process of installing a Madman EMS2. I am not positive about the location and orientation of the coolant temp and level sensor collar. A picture is attached of where I think it would fit best. Has anyone installed this collar? I couldn't find it in a search of the threads. Also added pics of the oil sensors for reference. I emailed the company but they have not responded so I figured lets see what you guys have done.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #709952 30th May 2018 4:36pm
Bourgui

Oman 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alaska White
Hi MGRGPGBG,

I am looking into installing a Madman as well (received 2 days ago, will install it over the weekend)

the pressure transmitter fitting doesn't look very strong... is it just an impression?

For the oil temperature sensor, did you drill the cap and install the fitting? I'll go for the transfer box oil temp but it is the same principle.

If you had the answer for the coolant collar, please let me know!

Cheers
Post #739326 8th Nov 2018 12:20pm
MGRGPGBG

United States 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
I just got my build running and the gauge setup. Need to adjust some things but basically works as it should. Replies to your question below:

the pressure transmitter fitting doesn't look very strong... is it just an impression?

Not my favorite setup but will see how it goes.

For the oil temperature sensor, did you drill the cap and install the fitting? I'll go for the transfer box oil temp but it is the same principle.

Madman supplied this sump plug already drilled and tapped to accept the sensor. You can drill yours out and use a pipe thread tap (tapered tap) - I did this on a previous build and worked fine.

If you had the answer for the coolant collar, please let me know!

I fitted the collar as in the picture and so far working as it should.
Post #739338 8th Nov 2018 2:08pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: Madman EMS2 Install
MGRGPGBG wrote:
I am in the process of installing a Madman EMS2. I am not positive about the location and orientation of the coolant temp and level sensor collar. A picture is attached of where I think it would fit best. Has anyone installed this collar? I couldn't find it in a search of the threads. Also added pics of the oil sensors for reference. I emailed the company but they have not responded so I figured lets see what you guys have done.

Hello. You will not be sorry you have fitted this gauge. Awesome gear that has saved my engine on numerous occasions. Funnily enough two of those "oh gosh darn it" moments were thanks to the coolan temperature sender and low coolant alarm you are asking about.

Orientation: VDO sensor up, coolant level sensor on the side. When you fit the VDO sensors it is a good idea to fit an earth lead to the engine block at the same time. O-ring between the sensor and the in-line adapter.

Position: Not close to a bend, preferably in the middle of a straight piece of the radiator top hose, but not the highest point.

Admittedly mine is a TD5 (bottom right of the photo) but you'll get the idea, also note the extra earth lead under the VDO sensor.

Click image to enlarge

Fitting: Make sure you use good quality jubilee clips when fitting this adapter and tighten it down properly.

Love this bit of kit... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #739348 8th Nov 2018 4:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1