↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Shipping containers - has anyone bought one before?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Shipping containers - has anyone bought one before?
I'm looking at buying a second hand 20ft shipping container to move all my garage stuff in to.

Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of, any things you wish you'd known before you bought one?

If anyone has a recommendation for one in the Suffolk area that would be appreciated too Smile
Post #736896 26th Oct 2018 5:29pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
They are shocking for condensation. It drips off the roof and anything steel goes rusty quick. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #736897 26th Oct 2018 5:34pm
Cupboard

Hmm, even if I ply lined it?

What I'm comparing it to is a single skinned brick garage with no insulation and that has condensation issues in winter.
Post #736912 26th Oct 2018 6:19pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Just make sure you have a viewing before buying, obvious things to look for are heavy rust any obvious signs of damage and make sure you check door alignment also check welded seams for cracks or damage as cracks lead to water ingress, inside should be dry if it isn't, walk away.

The most important thing you should budget for is the delivery and siting, depending on size is their easy access for the delivery HGV, bearing in mind you need to know what method will be used such as the simple tip the bed, where they drop the bed at an angle and then drive forward sliding the container to the ground as they do so, others use a harness and affixed crane where they lift and swing the container.
Also, make sure where the container is to be sited the foundations are solid, concrete is the best as containers are heavy and if the ground is not firm they sink and then you have difficulty opening them. I have seen containers placed on a line of railway sleepers on the ground and within a year the sleepers have sunk into the ground along with about four inches of the container.

I bought a used shipping container from Manchester Liners years ago (when they were cheap) the price nowadays is not so cheap particularly when you factor in the transport cost for delivery so as an alternative have you considered an insulated storage container (better than steel) Secure, Strong, No Condensation.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/insulated-stora...SwfcVUHTyJ

Try also giving this company a ring which, may be local to you for advice on containers.

Boxtor Ltd
289 Sandycombe Road
Kew
Richmond
Surrey
TWP 3NG
Tel: 01371 811111 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #736920 26th Oct 2018 6:55pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I rent one off a local farmer. It appears to be brand new, but he assures me it wasn't. Has a ply floor, vents in the side and robust seals around the door. It used it for about three years and not had anything rust in it to date. It appears dry whenever I've been in it, but I only access it about once every month or so.
Post #736935 26th Oct 2018 8:02pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The condensation problem can largely be solved if you drill a series of 2" holes along the top of the sides and ends.

Depending on location, you may want to bear in mind that they are not very secure in standard form, but plenty of firms offer lockbox upgrades.
Post #736937 26th Oct 2018 8:09pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
We've recommended a few companies with work. For a decent one try the below:-

https://www.portablespace.co.uk/
https://www.mrbox.co.uk/ James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #736939 26th Oct 2018 8:25pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
As above, Cupboard. View before you buy if you can. We used to buy them at work. Some were new (although bought as second hand) some looked like they had been bumper cars and were pretty dented. They used to sell single trip boxes which were generally better condition. Mostly, You got what you paid for but it was a bit of a lottery.

We used them as site storage and must admit we didn’t get too many issues with condensation, but it can be a problem. Best advice is to get a cover welded over the point where the padlock goes. It secures them a little better and slows the low life’s down. Locked ISO containers seem to draw criminals like flies to a cowpat. I have bitter experience of losing all my tools from a well secured container.

Rather than going to a wholesaler, try Gumtree or eBay and if you can find a fairly local one, employ a haulier with a rigid truck and hiab.

I hope you find what you want Thumbs Up
Post #736978 27th Oct 2018 12:19am
LiftedDisco

I've used Tim Davis at Container Exchange before.

Think they are now Titan Containers - best option, as mentioned above, is to get a 'single use' container
Post #736997 27th Oct 2018 8:27am
Cupboard

thank you for the advice Smile

Some of the container people I've talked to won't let you view in advance because their stock turns over too quickly. That's frustrating.

I've send the retired fridge box people a message so we'll see how things go there - it seems like a solution that would make sense. I had been planning on insulating the container but if it comes pre-done then brilliant.
Post #737102 27th Oct 2018 8:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1