↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Morocco April 2018
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Morocco April 2018
We went to Morocco with Protrax in March/April. I'm sure some other members on here must have been on the trip as Defenders were well represented. Perhaps not a true expedition overland trip because we chickened out and went with a guided group, but it was thoroughly excellent none the less. If anyone is considering doing something like this, I would whole heartedly recommend it, we didn't have a single bad experience. Protrax have two routes to choose from in Morocco, we chose the Mountains and Desert one, just because I wanted the cliched photos in the Dunes at Erg Chebbi.

We chose to make our way down through France to southern Spain on our own and join the group there, as we wanted to visit some family in San Sebastian on route. This put a lot of extra miles on the trip, but I love driving so it wasn't a chore. Once into Morocco,

we saw the most amazing scenery, drove hundreds of miles on twisting track and trails over 10,000ft high mountains, across dry lakes amongst herd of camels and surfing the dunes of course. Away from the big cities we saw people still living an ancient way of life, with little in the way of modern amenities. The tracks were punishing on the cars, required concentration to drive even though navigation was not a concern and made us feel very remote much of the time. Three full days without tarmac or a fuel stop. It was a little depressing to see how much new road is in the process of being ploughed through some beautiful scenery out there, but I guess that can't come soon enough for the locals. Another reason experience it now while the sense of remoteness can be maintained. We mostly camped, but there was the option of a room at many of the auberges. What the auberges lacked in modern amenities they more than make up for in character. 5500 miles we'll never forget.

A few Defender related photos

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #706324 9th May 2018 10:11pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Great photos, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #706328 9th May 2018 11:28pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Fantastic, thank you. Hoping to do a DIY trip with the old man in Sept. He's getting on and keen on one last road trip. Thumbs Up

Surely this photo has to be framed and put up in the garage/office/downstairs loo Whistle

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #706341 10th May 2018 6:55am
Bluest

That is one of my favourite pics. Have you been to Morocco before? I’m certain you’ll have an epic adventure. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #706342 10th May 2018 7:23am
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Great pics!!!
Good on you....

Marc
Post #706345 10th May 2018 7:39am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Yes, a number of times and all the classic spots (Marrakech, Casablanca, Tangier etc) absolutely love it and dream of overland on every visit but never done. Mrs Grenadier is not a fan of bimbling around in a Def Big Cry . But my old man lives most of the year in Estepona, just a short distance to Algeciras port, so easy to pick him up and ensures he maximises days in Morocco whilst I do the tedious out and back m-way Kms from Chamonix, approx 2000km each way. I'm in the process of making major upgrades to the DC (AirCon, Insulation, speakers, remap, suspension etc etc) which should be complete by then and make it super comfortable for him. Probably ten days all in with five in Morocco. Would plan to time it with a return that coincides with the Defender party in Les Comes http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54252.html. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #706346 10th May 2018 7:46am
Bluest

We stopped at a campsite in Estepona for a couple chill out days on the way back Thumbs Up

I don’t know if you are planning on doing much off road or not, but if you are, the vibrations are relentless. Biggest risk of breakdown in my view is electrical problems from wires wearing through or fatiguing. Also, check your hoses aren’t rubbing. My top rad hose had been chaffing on the fan shroud and could’ve failed.

Having said that, it is well worth venturing off the tarmac, especially over the Atlas. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #706359 10th May 2018 8:31am
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Like the improvisation for the raised air intake hose on the pick up Thumbs Up
Post #706476 10th May 2018 6:59pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
What did you do for vehicle insurance? When I went in 2007 (and again in 2010) you could buy 3rd party only insurance at the border, but I wonder if UK insurers now offer cover for Morocco? 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #706616 11th May 2018 5:31pm
Bluest

I bought at the border with cash, Adrian Flux couldn’t extend my cover. There was at least one person with us who had managed to get a stand alone policy from a broker for a Disco 3, so it is possible. A few things to consider. I’ve no idea what would actually happen if I needed to use the locally bought policy, I assume it is bare minimum third party. But, with the Moroccan policy documents being locally issued and in Arabic I imagine there would be less hassle compared with trying to prove your UK English docs pertain to valid policy. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #706619 11th May 2018 5:38pm
Bluest

williamthedog wrote:
Like the improvisation for the raised air intake hose on the pick up Thumbs Up

He’s gone for high flow, short as possible intake length there! 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #706620 11th May 2018 5:42pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Bluest wrote:
I bought at the border with cash, Adrian Flux couldn’t extend my cover. There was at least one person with us who had managed to get a stand alone policy from a broker for a Disco 3, so it is possible. A few things to consider. I’ve no idea what would actually happen if I needed to use the locally bought policy, I assume it is bare minimum third party. But, with the Moroccan policy documents being locally issued and in Arabic I imagine there would be less hassle compared with trying to prove your UK English docs pertain to valid policy.

That's the same then. I don't know of anyone that ever had to use the insurance. There was an incident with one of the vehicles in our convoy, involving a moped. As far as I know the police got involved and cash was paid to solve the situation! 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #706632 11th May 2018 6:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1