↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Is this Political correctness gone mad! LIFEBOAT CREW
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Is this Political correctness gone mad! LIFEBOAT CREW
The selfless unpaid lifeboat volunteers risk their lives on a regular basis. They’re heroes in the true sense of the word and should be praised!
However not according to Yorkshire RNLI management who never risk their lives sat in an office all day.

Why do I say PC has gone mad here is why...

A Whitby lifeboatman who served with the RNLI for 15 years was sacked alongside his junior colleague for having joke mugs with naked women on them superimposed with a photo of a crew member on them in the office.

Whitby crewman Ben Laws and his workmate Joe Winspear were allegedly sacked over the phone on Tuesday.

The pair are reported to have swapped the 'jokey' tea mugs as Secret Santa presents.
Because of the sacking four others from the crew have resigned two of them, women.

FOR THOSE EASILY SHOCKED DO NOT SCROLL DOWN Laughing THIS IS THE MUG IN QUESTION...

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #705253 4th May 2018 4:18pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
PC gone mad? Yes

Unless there have been other things going on not reported.

Apparently RNLI were concerned they might have been seen by school children on a visit. Maybe a bit nanny state?

What should have happen? Lads not really appropriate, take them home. Here are some RNLI mugs to use instead.

Problem solved, PC preserved, honour satisfied all round

Brendan
Post #705257 4th May 2018 4:35pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
If they reinstate the members of the lifeboat crew I'll happily donate some donkey mugs so that every time the crew members make a brew they will be reminded of their management team.

Click image to enlarge
 Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #705259 4th May 2018 4:44pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Sounds like there was rather more to this than just an issue about mugs:-

https://rnli.org/news-and-media/2018/may/0...m=referral Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #705264 4th May 2018 5:12pm
gilarion

That update is Speculation, no mention of allegedly and could be construed as the women responsible and who received such bad press perhaps trying to dig herself out of a hole of her own making. I take nothing for granted unless proof is offered and that article is only hearsay from management.

The appeal procedure is, in fact, is a disciplinary hearing in which the two individuals would have to give access to their computers and media accounts which the two involved refused to do on the grounds of an invasion of privacy.

No formal complaints have been made to the RNLI as far as I can tell. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #705274 4th May 2018 5:45pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
Following an in-depth formal investigation at Whitby lifeboat station concerning social media activity and the production of material of an inappropriate sexual nature, two volunteers have been stood down. These were serious conduct issues which go beyond media speculation around the production and use of offensive mugs.

One volunteer was stood down for social media activity which targeted a member of the RNLI staff without their knowledge and used graphic sexual images which went far beyond banter. As a responsible employer we cannot take this sort of behaviour lightly.

There were also serious conduct issues in relation to content on mugs which again went far beyond banter. The photographs of the mugs portrayed in media articles are mock ups and are not a true representation of the explicit images that were actually in use at the Lifeboat Station. As a result one volunteer was stood down in relation to this issue.

The lifeboat station should be an environment where people are treated with dignity and respect. Our supporters, volunteers and staff expect the RNLI to act in accordance with these values and would rightly anticipate that there would be serious consequences for anybody who fails to meet these standards.

As part of our normal procedures, the two crew members have the right to challenge this decision and appeal against it. Therefore, for legal reasons and in fairness to the crews who have a right of appeal we cannot comment in any further detail at this time.

By challenging this behaviour, we are standing up for the thousands of volunteers who are committed to doing the right thing as they operate our 238 lifeboat stations, saving lives at sea around the clock, 365 days of the year. Our dedicated volunteers represent the values and principles of our organisation and we will not allow any behaviour that brings the work of the RNLI and our people into disrepute.

They sound like a pair of wrong'uns who got caught bang to rights.

Can't see that the RNLI had any choice but to get rid.

If they believe they are innocent or were treated harshly they have a right to appeal.
Post #705338 4th May 2018 9:18pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
I stopped paying into the RNLI a few years back and don’t pay into any charity now it’s the usual case Lions led by monkeys
There’s been 3 sackings now St Helier Scarborough and Whitby
A RNLI member I know has emailed HQ to ask what’s going off but hasn’t heard a thing.
Post #705345 4th May 2018 9:36pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Zed wrote:
Quote:
Following an in-depth formal investigation at Whitby lifeboat station concerning social media activity and the production of material of an inappropriate sexual nature, two volunteers have been stood down. These were serious conduct issues which go beyond media speculation around the production and use of offensive mugs.

One volunteer was stood down for social media activity which targeted a member of the RNLI staff without their knowledge and used graphic sexual images which went far beyond banter. As a responsible employer we cannot take this sort of behaviour lightly.

There were also serious conduct issues in relation to content on mugs which again went far beyond banter. The photographs of the mugs portrayed in media articles are mock ups and are not a true representation of the explicit images that were actually in use at the Lifeboat Station. As a result one volunteer was stood down in relation to this issue.

The lifeboat station should be an environment where people are treated with dignity and respect. Our supporters, volunteers and staff expect the RNLI to act in accordance with these values and would rightly anticipate that there would be serious consequences for anybody who fails to meet these standards.

As part of our normal procedures, the two crew members have the right to challenge this decision and appeal against it. Therefore, for legal reasons and in fairness to the crews who have a right of appeal we cannot comment in any further detail at this time.

By challenging this behaviour, we are standing up for the thousands of volunteers who are committed to doing the right thing as they operate our 238 lifeboat stations, saving lives at sea around the clock, 365 days of the year. Our dedicated volunteers represent the values and principles of our organisation and we will not allow any behaviour that brings the work of the RNLI and our people into disrepute.

They sound like a pair of wrong'uns who got caught bang to rights.

Can't see that the RNLI had any choice but to get rid.

If they believe they are innocent or were treated harshly they have a right to appeal.

More like if who ever it was aimed at cant take a bit of stick maybe he should leave there are some hard men crewing these boats with plenty of banter.
Post #705347 4th May 2018 9:44pm
NoDo$h

England 
Zed wrote:
Quote:
As a responsible employer we cannot take this sort of behaviour lightly.

A responsible employer..... Of volunteers 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #705349 4th May 2018 10:02pm
gilarion

No matter what the reasons are and I am still in the mindset that RNLI crews who do not get paid but are volunteers, and no matter what they do is a great unpaid job and I still think they are heroes and as such are not privy to the rules of those who get paid.

Saying that we all must adhere to what is right.....

However, as one who has had the use of a lifeboat crew to rescue them due to I have to say of me being an idiot and not knowing anything about tides (I do now), I could not care less whether they use social media or have a dirty mug in their office or whatever else I am just glad they are there.

I have to say that without their help perhaps I and my son would not be here today and I for one will be eternally grateful for a group of people who put their lives at risk to save mine and whatever they did or did not do, thank you does not seem good enough. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #705355 4th May 2018 11:59pm
Projectblue

England 
gilarion wrote:
that article is only hearsay from management.

The appeal procedure is, in fact, is a disciplinary hearing in which the two individuals would have to give access to their computers and media accounts which the two involved refused to do on the grounds of an invasion of privacy.

No formal complaints have been made to the RNLI as far as I can tell.

How is a formal statement by RNLI 'heresay from management'? Confused

Also, because they are volunteers, not employees, the RNLI have the ability to take action to protect the integrity of the organisation. It's long been known that if you act irresponsibly on social media there could be repercussions in the work place.

It's easy to slander under the guise of 'pc madness' but if it's more than that, then it would appear that management have been forced to act. If by acting they bring down the tutting wrath of forums who accuse them of over reacting, that's probably the least worrying compared to litigation or serious breach had they not acted. I guarantee you that RNLI HR will have been consulted. New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #705490 5th May 2018 5:39pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
if I'm not mistaken them donkey's are nude too!
Post #705494 5th May 2018 6:00pm
gilarion

Projectblue wrote:

How is a formal statement by RNLI 'heresay from management'? Confused

Perhaps I should have used the term 'Snowflake' rather than PC as it appears as I understand it that the term used in that updated statement 'production of material of an inappropriate sexual nature' by whose standards was it deemed inappropriate certainly not by the person or persons depicted in the graphic, these mugs have been displayed for four months and no one has made an official complaint.
Then on a routine visit a female RNLI officer was offended and as such her actions and not the mug owners caused members of the Whitby crew to have resigned at the absurdity of the situation brought about by this officer.

The wording of the revised statement and I wonder why RNLI thought there was a need for the revision as the statement is careful not to accuse or prove guilt and it is my opinion the phrasing of this version is pure snowflake language, for in truth the men and women who crew lifeboats are not of the delicate persuasion unlike it seems to me are the office staff. In fact this story reminds me of the woman hospital management officer who refused a large donation because it was gathered by men dressed in drag and the hospital management worker thought this was an affront to women in general.
Snowflake....
'The lifeboat station should be an environment where people are treated with dignity and respect. Our supporters, volunteers and staff expect the RNLI to act in accordance with these values and would rightly anticipate that there would be serious consequences for anybody who fails to meet these standards.

By challenging this behaviour, we are standing up for the thousands of volunteers who are committed to doing the right thing.

The use of the word 'we' is collective and this sacking was based not on a collective but on the thoughts of one woman. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #705514 5th May 2018 6:38pm
Projectblue

England 
I understand, that if in the context of the mugs, then it appears OTT. And I am opposed in general to the whole 'I'm offended', lets run around after them.

However there does seem to be more than the mugs:
Quote:

There is no report of what that may be. If you know the people involved and have further insight that's another thing.
Also, as I said, RNLI have a duty to look after it's image and anyone bringing that into disrepute is going to be dealt with. I don't necessarily support it, but I do understand it.

Just reading it from an on the fence position from what's been highlighted. New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #705605 6th May 2018 9:25am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
NoDo$h wrote:
Zed wrote:
Quote:
As a responsible employer we cannot take this sort of behaviour lightly.

A responsible employer..... Of volunteers

If an organisation has paid and volunteers within there organisation then the volunteers have to be treat as if they are employees. This applies to health and safety and other Acts, the disciplinary procedures may be slightly different but have to be within the employment Act. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #705607 6th May 2018 9:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>