↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma EGR blanking plate FREE :-)
Did this plate make any difference to your cars running.
Made no difference
20%
 20%  [2]
Made my car better and i will post the results
80%
 80%  [8]
Made my car worse and i will post the results
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 10

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Puma EGR blanking plate FREE :-)
Hello

As you know ive done a lot of testing on the new 07 puma engine and also a lot of diagnostic work to try and determine some of the basic running faults some of you have on your cars even still in standard form.

Ive been looking for some time now at the EGR valve and its actuation and control even down to its insides to try and work out why so many have EGR faults that dont seem to go away even when some of the dealers say its fine.

Ive striped some valves i have removed for testing to try and locate component failure and try and find a common cause.

Ive now made a some stainess blanking plates for developing and diagnositc purposes only.
i have fitted a few to various cars showing various running problems also in various states of tune with mixed results.

What im offering here is about 15 or so FREE blanking plates for you to fit your self to your cars in exchange for the results posted on the forum so i can detirmine if these plates will help with any of the various problems people are having with there cars.

There are a couple of clauses i need to add to this because im giving this plate away for FREE

1st I will not be held responsible for any warranty claims made by landrover or buy your self towards me

2nd I will not be held responsible for any running problems you may or may not have because of fitting the plate to your cars.

3rd This plate is provided to you for developement reasons and i wont be held responsible for any emmisons related or emmisions laws we have to abide by.
This car/engine was designed to a specific sesification regarding emminsion so you fit this AT YOUR OWN RISK.

4th If possibile can you please vote in the poll and give forum post on your findings after fitting stating your year and model of Defender and its type of use it has.

EG 07 90inch General use car.

5th To get the plate sent out to you i will need some details one per owner please, i would like to know for my records , FULL registration and chassis number and also the model and its general use.
I ask for this in PM please so it will save me reading all the posts made to gain the data i want for the test.

After sending me the plate request in PM can you post in the thread your car details etc , then repost after fitting with your results

Regards pete

Click image to enlarge
Post #2358 9th Jun 2008 12:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bell-auto-services

Here are some pictures taken by Verdone when he fitted his test EGR plate i sent him.
Id like to thank Verdone for these pictures and the time he has taken to fit the kit for testing purposes which we will all benifit from.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

After you have done all in the picture replace all the bolts and your done Smile

I would like to give thanks in advance to the members of the forum who are/will be willing to fit this plate to help give better understanding of this engine and its related components.

Regards Pete
Post #2361 9th Jun 2008 9:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Verdone

Belgium 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Java Black
After fitting the rumble noice when its idling is gone so thats huge improvement because that didnt sound healthy Laughing

The installation itself is quite easy, it can be narrow to put ur hands in some places but all in all when ur with two i think i did it in an hour and im no mechanic at all Rolling with laughter

The only problem i have now is the yellow check ur engine light that has come one but i will try to get something so i can read out the fault on the ecu and tell u what it is Thumbs Up

All in all for now i'm quite happy with it aswell as the decat i installed from Pete Thumbs Up

Greetings Verdone
Post #2363 9th Jun 2008 9:20pm
bell-auto-services

Thank you for your post Verdone , i have another car coming in on wednesday for some more developement work/improvement so i will make the same fitting to this car and posts its results.

Im glad the plate seems to have stoped your running/rumble noise problem , but im not so glad your engine management lamp has come on. "This is part of developement i suppose"

Regards Pete
Post #2364 9th Jun 2008 9:39pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Thumbs Up Fitted mine along with the de-cat exhaust on Sunday. The Red Dwarf is going to Aberdeen tomorrow and back Friday Shocked So that should give the bitch a good work out. Well it will if she makes it Rolling Eyes
Post #2374 11th Jun 2008 4:22pm
bell-auto-services

AndrewS wrote:
Thumbs Up Fitted mine along with the de-cat exhaust on Sunday. The Red Dwarf is going to Aberdeen tomorrow and back Friday Shocked So that should give the bitch a good work out. Well it will if she makes it Rolling Eyes

LOOOL ,keep me posted m8

Regards Pete
Post #2375 11th Jun 2008 4:28pm
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Pete, I've just fitted the EGR blanking and it has solved the problem I had Bow down . To recap for everyone’s benefit as it may be happening to your engine but you’re just living with it. My TDCi Defender has now done 20k so probably one of the higher mileage ones, when I got it new the engine was lovely and smooth and reasonably quiet (as quiet as a tranny engine can be) but in the last 2 to 5k miles the engine seemed to be getting louder at particular cruising speeds, quite noticeable to me. I would say an easy way to spot the problem I had is to listen to the intake sound on the side of the wing, this should sound like its sucking air but should not be too excessive.

Since fitting the plate all the symptoms have disappeared and there are no warning lights (engine management) on the dash.

I will report again once I’ve measured a tank of fuel, I usually get quite high consumption anyway because of the 70k commute to work, this is usually 33-34mpg, anything over that would be brilliant. I have read that after transit drivers have fitted the plates they are returning another 5mpg, maybe wishful thinking but I’ll soon find out.

Thanks again Pete, hope to see you later in the year as mentioned on the phone.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

PS when refitting the four bolts as in the pictures above, don't tighten one side (exhaust or intake) until you have all four bolts fitted loosely. I made the mistake of tightening the exhaust side up before fitting the intake bolts, they wouldn’t line up properly until I loosened the exhaust bolts.
Post #2377 11th Jun 2008 6:36pm
Verdone

Belgium 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Java Black
mrwoo wrote:
Pete, I've just fitted the EGR blanking and it has solved the problem I had Bow down . To recap for everyone’s benefit as it may be happening to your engine but you’re just living with it. My TDCi Defender has now done 20k so probably one of the higher mileage ones, when I got it new the engine was lovely and smooth and reasonably quiet (as quiet as a tranny engine can be) but in the last 2 to 5k miles the engine seemed to be getting louder at particular cruising speeds, quite noticeable to me. I would say an easy way to spot the problem I had is to listen to the intake sound on the side of the wing, this should sound like its sucking air but should not be too excessive.

Since fitting the plate all the symptoms have disappeared and there are no warning lights (engine management) on the dash.

I will report again once I’ve measured a tank of fuel, I usually get quite high consumption anyway because of the 70k commute to work, this is usually 33-34mpg, anything over that would be brilliant. I have read that after transit drivers have fitted the plates they are returning another 5mpg, maybe wishful thinking but I’ll soon find out.

Thanks again Pete, hope to see you later in the year as mentioned on the phone.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

PS when refitting the four bolts as in the pictures above, don't tighten one side (exhaust or intake) until you have all four bolts fitted loosely. I made the mistake of tightening the exhaust side up before fitting the intake bolts, they wouldn’t line up properly until I loosened the exhaust bolts.

Its nice to see everyone getting positive results, except my "little problem" Thumbs Up

I dont know but i feel my engine is more responsive with the decat and egr blanked off or maybe im just imagining Rolling with laughter

Greetings Verdone
Post #2379 11th Jun 2008 7:30pm
bell-auto-services

Thanks for the post mrwoo and im glad it seems to have cured your problem with no engine lamps on Smile

Lets hope it stays like that and all is sweet with it for many miles to come.

My Developement car did not come in today as planned so i didnt make the measurements i intended, hopefully i will make over the next few days and post the results.

It does seem funny as to why some cars respond good and some dont even why some respond good at first then flag a fault.
Suppose that is testing lol.

Im looking into getting some "cheaper sort of after market diagnostic tools" if anyone is intrested , ill also post the results in due course.
It will be something very simple and basic but should read the engine faults and sensors.

Regards and thanks so far to all

Pete
Post #2380 11th Jun 2008 8:22pm
mrwoo

Just to let everyone know, my engine management light has now come on (after around 20miles). The original problem is still cured though just have the light on now.

Thanks Rich
Post #2386 12th Jun 2008 7:02am
bell-auto-services

mrwoo wrote:
Just to let everyone know, my engine management light has now come on (after around 20miles). The original problem is still cured though just have the light on now.

Thanks Rich

HUMM , i think i need to relook at the location of he plate,may be the faults are fixed as expected but the plate is causing other issuses.

mrwoo, is it possibile you have time to remove the plate and make some driving cycles with the engine to see if he lamp extingushises its self ?

It may take a couple of small drives to clear just as its done to come on.

Regards Pete
Post #2390 12th Jun 2008 8:36am
mrwoo

bell-auto-services wrote:
mrwoo wrote:

Thanks Rich

HUMM , i think i need to relook at the location of he plate,may be the faults are fixed as expected but the plate is causing other issuses.

mrwoo, is it possibile you have time to remove the plate and make some driving cycles with the engine to see if he lamp extingushises its self ?

It may take a couple of small drives to clear just as its done to come on.

Regards Pete

Pete, I'll take it out again and let you know what happens. I could do with clearing the lamp before Monday as it's at the dealers and I dont want them to spot it. I might ask them againn to check the EGR valve whilst it's in.

Cheers Rich
Post #2392 12th Jun 2008 9:27am
bell-auto-services

It should clear any non perminant faults after 3 driving cycles.

On the very odd occasion this is not the case, i will make more tests to my developement car today when it arrives.

Saying that , if the fault was seen by the dealer they may replace the egr that is probabaly needed anyway lol

regards pete
Post #2393 12th Jun 2008 9:59am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
CarlS left this morning at 06.00 drove to Scunthorpe then up to Newcastle Edinburgh and he is just going round the Dundee by-pass and all is well. MPG is up as well Thumbs Up
Post #2396 12th Jun 2008 3:10pm
mrwoo

AndrewS wrote:
CarlS left this morning at 06.00 drove to Scunthorpe then up to Newcastle Edinburgh and he is just going round the Dundee by-pass and all is well. MPG is up as well Thumbs Up

Any engine management lights on yet.

Cheers Rich
Post #2398 12th Jun 2008 6:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>