Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LED Headlight Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
scottchad01

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
LED Headlight Upgrade
Hi all!

I have been wanting to change the headlights for a while now as i think the lazy yellow beam makes it look particularly older. Obviously the preference would be to completely change the entire unit to some JW speakers or some other kind but has anyone oh here used the led bulb upgrade? i have spotted these on Thomas performance.....

https://thomasperformance.co.uk/store/land...-led-bulbs

... im just after a sharper brighter beam and was wondering if theyre worth it? obviously £30 isnt a major investment but worth an ask if theyre any good before purchasing

Scott Very Happy
Post #704010 29th Apr 2018 6:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They aren't legal I'm afraid due to the existing fixtures are approved and designed solely for standard
Incandescent headlight bulbs to be used to be road legal.

They are also obligatory lighting, also inc brake, tail & indicators etc.....
So have to be 'E' marked.

So standard Quadoptics or Wipac Crystals must contain 12V incandescent lighting bulbs.
LED factory designed and approved lights such as JW Speaker or Nolden are legal. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #704012 29th Apr 2018 6:35pm
scottchad01

Big Cry Big Cry the only upgrades you can make to headlights are either expensive or illegal Laughing Laughing Big Cry Big Cry
Post #704015 29th Apr 2018 6:38pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Worth it though!

I would suggest taking a look at Wipac Crystals with Philips Extreme bulbs, coupled with a Land Reiziger headlight loom.

The first two options are pretty cheap relatively and make a good difference, the loom is great quality.

When you get bored or want to upgrade, you can sell on the headlights and bulbs and keep the existing loom whilst still being compatible and interchangeable with LED's.

That set up will give you impressive performance for the time being without shelling out too much.
And then you can upgrade at a later date if you wanted.

That being said, you may already have a similar set up but this I should what I did.
I'm now using black Noldens. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #704016 29th Apr 2018 6:44pm
scottchad01

Great thanks for the help , i have seen those crystal upgrades previously will take a look at that option!

and ahhh so jealous would love a pair of those, fancy a straight swap for my standard LR?? Whistle Whistle Whistle
Post #704018 29th Apr 2018 6:49pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
As Steve says they are illegal and as such your vehicle is not road legal and then can have major insurance implications!

The light pattern from these LED bulbs is shall we say a bit hit and miss as the reflector is not designed for this light source.

Now have a look at the MOT regulations from May 20 2018

Quote:

Light source and lamp not compatible
Major Defect

Look at the certification for these LED bulbs

Quote:

CE(EMC,LVD),ROSH Certified

Now might sound impressive but

CE . now some people would say that stands for China Export! Or Conformity Europe.

Now EMC is Electro Magnetic Compatability, i.e. not cause radio interference

LVD is Low Voltage Directive which is for 75-1500 volts DC input. Please remind me what voltage Defender Light circuits work on! Rolling with laughter

ROSH says it is free from Mercury, Cadmium and Lead etc.

The only legal way to improve your filament lights to LED lights is to change the complete light unit for one carrying the correct approval mark.

Please note the expression APPROVAL mark and not E mark. What is considered to be an E mark is really a country code. Many of the cheap ILLEGAL LED lights claim they are E marked (country code) do not carry a valid approval mark and hence are illegal.

My recommendations for LED headlights would be to stick to Truck-Lite, Noldens, JW Speaker or Vision X asthey all have valid approval markings and are road legal.

Brendan
Post #704022 29th Apr 2018 7:05pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Changing to Wipac Crystals with an upgraded wiring loom is cheap, easy and works well.

I was planning on upgrading to LED headlights but after doing those upgrades I haven't felt the need. Driving on country roads at night they have plenty of output and throw.
Post #704156 30th Apr 2018 1:38pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They are pretty damn good for the price the Crystals. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #704159 30th Apr 2018 1:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1