↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Refresh and enhance bog standard TD5 90CSW - Help?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mudplugger

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cairns Blue
Refresh and enhance bog standard TD5 90CSW - Help?
Hi,

We've a very bog standard, Caledonian Blue with white roof, TD5 90 CSW.
It's been ours from new in March 1999, and has only done c.29,000 miles.
There are now just a few rust patches appearing on the usual suspects (mainly rear cross member and rear corner strips) not helped by my other half having crinkled the rear offside corner when reversing.

The ABS/TC lights are often showing the system as not working. Otherwise all is wonderful with the world.

I want to take her (the D2, not the other half) into somewhere not too far from here who will properly sort out the damage and 'tart up' the wagon, give her a general spruce up and possibly fit some little extras that will help her survive at least another 8 years in our ownership without too much damage.
So your help needed:

1. What extra little toys should we add? Factors to bear in mind are that the wagon is used for generally hauling my other half and her horse gear about when teaching. Very little towing is done now with the wagon. The use is generally country lanes/tracks and grassy fields - occasionally deep mud and/or water.
My initial thoughts were raised air intake, A-frame & lights, sump/steering rod guard, rear bar/step and rear wheel carrier, perhaps some checkerplate sills/wing tops. Height is an issue with the garage, so don't want a roof rack! Part of me wants to give her the full off road treatment with a winch etc. but in reality it would probably never get used. We've tractors for serious off roading!!
Any other suggestions/photos?

2. Where should we take her? We're just north of Preston Lancs. Nearest LR dealer is James Edwards (Brock) but our experience there so far has been mixed. Miss our old friend and best LR man John Williams in Clyro (Near Hay on Wye) - who always seemed to get things sorted at a reasonable cost.

Interested in your responses to 1. so maybe over to creaator of the Gimp and perhaps Martin's encyclopaedic knowledge of all things Defender to give the benefit of which item is best and which manufacturer etc...

As for 2. am interested in local knowledge up here in Lancs.

Regards,

Muddy One Land Rover is luxury, Two is just showing off...

Defender 90 TD5 CSW
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
Post #308 29th Jul 2007 6:31pm
Alex e

England 2006 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Zambezi Silver
a good set of tyres is the first thing i would buy, then the sky's the limit!
Protection is what i would buy first, diff guards, steering guards etc as you never know what may be hidden / glaringly obvious but still hit it at top speed Rolling Eyes that could break something.

snorkel is a must too, cost is minimal compared with a new engine, and you then can be more confident in deep water, granted you should always check how deep it is before you enter, but unless you have waders or a wet suit it rarely gets done. a snorkel will give you a little more peace of mind.

defenders only really need a winch if you're going to do serious off road or off road on your own (which is risky) they don't get stuck very easily!

probably the best thing to get is experience, learn what your car can do and how it does it, then you can push the boat out a bit more. there are many training days arranged on the sister site disco3.co.uk i've been on many and they are appreciative of a defender being there as when they all get stuck in tesco's car park there is always a car to help them out Whistle

if you get a winch, go on a course on how to use it. they are very dangerous if you don't know how to use them
Post #309 30th Jul 2007 1:37pm
george130

2001 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Auto Chawton White
If it's not for serious off road then Tires snorkel and diff guards are the go. A winch is very handy for more than just recoveries but you have to be carefull Twisted Evil .
If you want to do serious stuff then dif lockers and a lift also make a huge difference.
Post #325 14th Aug 2007 2:10pm
Le Rodent Noir

England 2001 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Epsom Green
...and if you are going to snorkel it up - remember to fit a wading kit too or your diffs will be full of mushroom soup.... Embarassed Whistle

Cheers, Le Rodent Noir.
Post #396 17th Aug 2007 8:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1