↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma front washer jet . . . .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jammer600

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Puma front washer jet . . . .
Mornin all, got in my truck yesterday squirted screen, all shoots out over bonnet? Some littl sh*t has snapped it off I'm guessing? Can I put any year defender one on?! Smile
Post #65059 25th Mar 2011 9:15am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
You might find it popped off.

Good post on here from a month back about what you need and how to do it Thumbs Up Mike
Post #65068 25th Mar 2011 10:29am
john

United Kingdom 
hi jammer my jet popped off after a frosty night . i bought a new one if you pull like hell the top of it will come off and it will bang back on the (stump) that is left good luck . ps if you have a rear one i think the shaft is shorter but the jet part might still fit .
Post #65079 25th Mar 2011 2:20pm
Jammer600

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Had a new one delivered today!! Popped dash centre console out, removed radio steady and replaced!! And bobs your uncle all snorted!!! Smile £6.95
Post #65550 29th Mar 2011 10:17pm
CyberCharlie

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Java Black
Jammer600 wrote:
Had a new one delivered today!! Popped dash centre console out, removed radio steady and replaced!! And bobs your uncle all snorted!!! Smile £6.95

Jammer, i am planning to install a second jet. Even if i have opened the dash a couple of times (to replace the aerial) i have not seen how to access the back of the washer jet to unscrew the nut from the insite. Any special hint?
Post #65588 30th Mar 2011 9:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
When mine popped off my 300tdi I unscrewed the nut, popped the hose off, inserted a T-piece and ran 2 lengths of hose under the dash and out through each of the the holes next to each wiper, tie-cliped the hose to the wiper arms and inserted into a spray wash arm from a Peugeot.

Now I get four sprays coming out of each wiper blade directly onto the windscreen Thumbs Up
Post #65706 30th Mar 2011 11:27pm
CyberCharlie

WarPig wrote:
When mine popped off my 300tdi I unscrewed the nut, popped the hose off, inserted a T-piece and ran 2 lengths of hose under the dash and out through each of the the holes next to each wiper, tie-cliped the hose to the wiper arms and inserted into a spray wash arm from a Peugeot.

Now I get four sprays coming out of each wiper blade directly onto the windscreen Thumbs Up

Exactly what was done on my former Td5 Smile
Problem is now that the dash of the Puma is far more complicate to disassemble and i am reluctant to start without some hints from someone who has done it before. Shall i just try to undo bolts and see what happens?
Post #65726 31st Mar 2011 8:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
[quote="CyberCharlie"]
WarPig wrote:

Problem is now that the dash of the Puma is far more complicate to disassemble and i am reluctant to start without some hints from someone who has done it before.

It isn't that hard - the instructions are somewhere on the forum (though I can't immediately find them someone will I am sure post a link) and AndrewS has posted photos.

If you are simply trying to get access to the wiper/washer gubbins you shouldn't need to remove the dash, just remove the screws and pull it forward. You may not even have to remove the steering wheel and stalk switches.

IIRC, to remove the dash in its entirety you need to:-

1) remove the steering wheel (big nut in the middle)
2) remove the stalk switches (screws and connectors)
3) remove the instrument panel (just unscrew and unplug - the joys of electronics)
4) remove the passenger grab handle (screws)
5) remove the radio (clips and connectors)
6) remove the centre panel (two screws and then all the switch connectors)
7) remove the whole dash panel moulding as a single item (quite a lot of screws)

It sounds a lot but only takes about 1/2 hour. If your truck was pre-owned you may find all manner of goodies which have dropped down inside the dash as well, as a free bonus. I found about 10 ball point pens, a 20p coin, and a lot of dust and crud in mine.

If you have the dash out, it is a also a good opportunity to lubricate the wiper mechanism, something which cannot usually be done. The lubricant in my 07 had dried out completely in three years.
Post #65742 31st Mar 2011 11:00am
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Or...

You buy the new washer jet (whole assembly).

Soak jet part of assembly in very hot water for about 10 mins.

using gentle pressure (I used an electrical screwdriver), prise the jet end off the nozzle. There is glue holding it in place, which the hot water softens as well as allowing the jet bit to expand.

Having removed the jet bit, heat this end in very hot water again.

Place on end of nozzle protruding from bulkhead.

Sharp but careful tap with a hammer, and it should click into place. Some people advocate a dab of superglue to fix in place, but I didn't find this necessary.

Now that I've done this once, I could do the whole thing in about 10 mins. The tricky bit is prising the end off the new nozzle part.

Oh, and forgot to add, you'll need a pin to adjust the jets in the new bit. Mine shot straight up in the air on first fitting!

[quote="blackwolf"]
CyberCharlie wrote:
WarPig wrote:

Problem is now that the dash of the Puma is far more complicate to disassemble and i am reluctant to start without some hints from someone who has done it before.

It isn't that hard - the instructions are somewhere on the forum (though I can't immediately find them someone will I am sure post a link) and AndrewS has posted photos.

If you are simply trying to get access to the wiper/washer gubbins you shouldn't need to remove the dash, just remove the screws and pull it forward. You may not even have to remove the steering wheel and stalk switches.

IIRC, to remove the dash in its entirety you need to:-

1) remove the steering wheel (big nut in the middle)
2) remove the stalk switches (screws and connectors)
3) remove the instrument panel (just unscrew and unplug - the joys of electronics)
4) remove the passenger grab handle (screws)
5) remove the radio (clips and connectors)
6) remove the centre panel (two screws and then all the switch connectors)
7) remove the whole dash panel moulding as a single item (quite a lot of screws)

It sounds a lot but only takes about 1/2 hour. If your truck was pre-owned you may find all manner of goodies which have dropped down inside the dash as well, as a free bonus. I found about 10 ball point pens, a 20p coin, and a lot of dust and crud in mine.

If you have the dash out, it is a also a good opportunity to lubricate the wiper mechanism, something which cannot usually be done. The lubricant in my 07 had dried out completely in three years.

2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #65751 31st Mar 2011 12:20pm
CyberCharlie

szracer wrote:
Or...

You buy the new washer jet (whole assembly).

Soak jet part of assembly in very hot water for about 10 mins.

using gentle pressure (I used an electrical screwdriver), prise the jet end off the nozzle. There is glue holding it in place, which the hot water softens as well as allowing the jet bit to expand.

Having removed the jet bit, heat this end in very hot water again.

Place on end of nozzle protruding from bulkhead.

Sharp but careful tap with a hammer, and it should click into place. Some people advocate a dab of superglue to fix in place, but I didn't find this necessary.

Now that I've done this once, I could do the whole thing in about 10 mins. The tricky bit is prising the end off the new nozzle part.

Oh, and forgot to add, you'll need a pin to adjust the jets in the new bit. Mine shot straight up in the air on first fitting!

Yes,
but this will leave me with just one lousy washer jet. I want two! Running a rubber pipe in the dash should not be quantum physics, and the holes to fit the jets one per wiper are there already. The moment that i can move the dash, unscrew the origina jet, move it to one side, install a second one on the other side, split the rubber tube and feed the 2 jets i will be happy Smile
In the Td5 it was not too difficult to get there, the Puma looks a different sory.
Post #65756 31st Mar 2011 1:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1