↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Insurance cover if you volunteer to help NHS.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Insurance cover if you volunteer to help NHS.
I do not want this to turn into a free for all against insurance companies.

Having read and listened to how many 4x4 drivers have volunteered to help NHS staff get to and from work, providing transport for some patients and delivering medication to ill people how are they covered for insurance purposes.?

My insurance which is fully comprehensive covers the standard Social, domestic, pleasure, to and from my place Voluntary work and to and from normal place of paid work. The last two have inclusions that my place of volunatry work and paid work may vary from time to time.

I posed the question to the Insurace company several years ago during the last sever winter , "If I turn up at my normal place of volunteering and they ask me to go to another location using my 4x4 to transport staff or goods and the fuel would be paid for would my insurance still cover me?" The answer was short , "No, that is classed as business " So I had to have business cover added.

Do these 4x4 drivers have the fuel paid for or do they stand the cost? Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #690813 4th Mar 2018 11:17am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Interesting point - but it appears that you are a Voluntary worker. I think that the rest of us could claim that the passenger was someone whom equates to giving a hitch hiker a lift - rather than for hire or reward.
Post #690821 4th Mar 2018 11:38am
ARC99

The question was not about me but others that are volunteering to help. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #690822 4th Mar 2018 11:42am
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Having spent 72hrs helping NHS staff get to and from work. I rang my local hospital and volunteered my services explaining to them I didn’t want any form of payment at all for fuel or my time no doubt like many many others who did the same.

I do have business insurance year round on my Defender. Several times during the 72 hrs I was asked to invoice the NHS to cover my fuel costs but I wouldn’t and won’t be doing so. It’s a sad world if we can’t do something for others isn’t it?

I met amazing people who wanted to get to work because they care, that alone is more valuable to me than the £80.00 I spent on diesel to assist them. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #690823 4th Mar 2018 11:45am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Understood - hence - " I think that the rest of us could claim that the passenger was someone whom equates to giving a hitch hiker a lift - rather than for hire or reward."
Post #690824 4th Mar 2018 11:47am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
In my opinion, it world be a very sad world if an insurance company failed to pay up for someone volunteering in this kind of situation.

Sadly, I am sure that 90% of them would find some kind of clause in the small print to wriggle out of a payout.

Saying that, a big thank you to Sulisuli and everyone else who helped our emergency services, or just helped somebody in a bit of a pickle during the snow Thumbs Up (especially if you didn't take anything for doing it)
Post #690833 4th Mar 2018 12:32pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Here is useful info on volunteer driving.

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues...r-drivers/
Post #690839 4th Mar 2018 1:27pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I received a bottle of red wine, a bag of wine gums and lots of coffee.
Post #690844 4th Mar 2018 1:37pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
There are some other issues with asking for volunteers to ferry people about. Not least criminal record checks or DBS as it is now called.
Ability , are they capable and a good driver ?
Is the vehicle well maintained ( a lot of modded 4x4s are poorly done)
Propely licensed
Properly insured
Current Mot
As part of a 4x4 group you sign up to a constitution but with the random people who rocked up to help who was checking these things ?

Personally I am not a fan. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #690872 4th Mar 2018 4:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ARC99

Scotm wrote:
Here is useful info on volunteer driving.

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues...r-drivers/

Interesting information.

In 2002 when I started volunteering you had to tell the insurance co even though the N.F.U. did not and still does not charge.
Getting the fuel paid for means I /we have to have both drivers covered separately under the same policy. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #690897 4th Mar 2018 5:32pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Badger110 wrote:
I received a bottle of red wine, a bag of wine gums and lots of coffee.

That's still a "payment" even if it's not cash
Post #690898 4th Mar 2018 5:41pm
walfy

When I was signed up to Wessex Response, there was an induction of sorts and a bit of paperwork to complete. After I left, for various reasons but mainly I didn't feel I could commit the hours when needed due to real work. But then there were organised inductions conducted, and I'm sure there was some driver training/assessment conducted as well.
I have a company 110 insured for business and private use, I'm a qualified first aid instructor, a qualified offroad driving instr but would I rejoin Wessex. No I wouldn't. I was at a high level motorsport event a couple of years ago and they were present. They were unprofessional, had no real idea of what they were doing and the head guy there was wondering around with a clipboard as though he was important. I was there as a marshal and he tried to restrict my movement around the pits area, which I was helping to run.
Plus he had an ops vest on that any SF operator would of been proud of Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #690910 4th Mar 2018 6:18pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
But what is their interpretation of Social, Dometic & Pleasure?

You are volunteering to be sociable and at your own pleasure. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #690956 4th Mar 2018 8:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
JJ I have made contact with the Cornwall 4x4 response group this weekend with a view to joining them but to be honest having read your views on the type of person you assume I maybe to be honest I’m not sure I wish to progress it anymore.

I thought it would be nice to try and help people during the bad weather and I’m sure your group did an amazing job but to be honest I don’t need someone taking a “holier than thou” approach when people like myself tried their hardest to help people in need.

Walfy your reply made very interesting reading, thankyou for sharing your experiences.

As I said the response groups do amazing work but the attitude of a response member is rather off putting to potential new members in my opinion. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90

Last edited by Sulisuli on 4th Mar 2018 8:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #690958 4th Mar 2018 8:03pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I suppose these groups are what you make of them and are only as good a the person running them.

I looked at joining COTAG several years ago and before I could join I had to have records check and they had a list of what vehicles needed to be fitted with. But as I never joined I don’t know how well it was policed after joining, not to say that it isn’t. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #690960 4th Mar 2018 8:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>