↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Sankey trailers - what are they?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
deejayen

Scotland 
Sankey trailers - what are they?
I've read up a wee bit on them, but I still have a load of random questions.

I've got a 90 Hard Top. Apparently, I'd need a Wide Track trailer.

Where do you buy them, how old are they likely to be, and are they a good choice for a 90?

What's the going rate for one in really nice condition? Are they all painted in MOD green?

What size is the body, and is the cargo area completely flat, or do the wheel arch platforms intrude into the load area)?

Is it better to keep the Nato hitch and replace the tow ball on the Defender (I have a towbar with a bolt on ball).

Are the trailers road-legal and wired for 12V with a standard electric plug (7 pin?)

Do they have suspension?

Is it possible to open the rear door of a 90 with a trailer hitched, or does the jockey wheel foul the door?

Do they tow well behind a 90?

I haven't really thought of a use for one yet, but I think it would end up as a platform for a tent, or maybe (depending on the size of the trailer) some sort of basic camper platform.

That's rather a lot of random questions, but some general info and experiences would be appreciated!
Post #691834 7th Mar 2018 10:58pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
Yes, you probably do.

Yes, best to.

Ebay, Mod-sales.co.uk - use google. 10 years plus (there's a reason they're replaced by the MoD) Yes, depending what you want it for?!?!

from MoD £2k plus vat - from anywhere else - from £100 for pile of Censored through to - thinkI saw £5k for overland expedition trailer here .....

External Dimensions:
Length: 2.8m
Width: 1.8m
Weight: 620kg
Internal Dimensions:
Length: 1.85m
Width: 1.6m
Depth: 0.47m
Distance between arches 1.18m
Internal Arch Height: 0.25m
Internal Arch Length: 0.94m

Width of trailer door: 1.19m
Height from base of wheel: 1.2m
Hitch height: 0.7m

And yes wheel arches do.

Keep the NATO - they have a rates weight of 1.2 tonnes, thats a lot for a little ball!

Possibly Road Legal, but depends of the officer that stops you, what they want to find, what they do find, and what licence you have. No, come 24v unless already re-wired by someone.

Yes - of sorts

Partially, but can - depends what height your hitch is, and what sort you have.

Yes, and 110 too.

good luck.

It sure is! (did I miss anything?) TY&GN
10 years in a WOLF, WIMIK and Snatch and this is all I have to show!
Post #691837 7th Mar 2018 11:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Great reply.

Everyone needs to have owned a sankey. Or 4!!
Post #691838 7th Mar 2018 11:09pm
deejayen

Scotland 
Yes, that's a fantastic reply! Thanks very mucjh!

I'll need to read it a few more times until everything sinks in...

I'm afraid I have another question I forgot to ask. I saw mention about having to move a bar or something when reversing. What's that about?
Post #691841 7th Mar 2018 11:24pm
under_rover

2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Its to stop the towing eye from applying the brakes and locking everything up as you shove it backwards Thumbs Up
Post #691845 7th Mar 2018 11:38pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
There are various types of Sankey trailer. The original ones were designed for use with Series Land Rovers and are known as 'Narrow Track' or sometimes 'Fixed Back'. The later ones are collectively known as 'Wide Track' and they were introduced in the mid-'80's to suit 90's and 110's. Apart from being physically smaller, the earlier ones can be easily recognised as they don't have a tailgate, instead having a fixed tub. They will tow perfectly well behind a 90 but are less useful and a lot older, with the last being built, I think, in the late-70's.

Wide Tracks come in three basic varieties: Mk's I, II and III. Mk I's were only made in small numbers and you're very unlikely to find one as there was a pretty fundamental flaw in the design of the front jockey leg. This problem was solved with the Mk II, which was produced in large numbers. The later Mk III, whilst superficially similar, is very different mechanically and, with a couple of proviso's, is by far the best of the bunch.

The Mk II and all earlier versions featured push rod operated drum brakes, whilst the Mk III was fitted with a fluid system and disk brakes. This system works very effectively and is easy to maintain but the brake master cylinder is virtually impossible to obtain replacements for. Other master cylinders can be adapted to fit (including that from a Series LR) but it does require a bit of ingenuity and they're not quite the same capacity. The master cylinder and its' reservoir are mounted on the A frame and the plastic reservoir can suffer due to exposure to UV light. Replacements are available though, for not much money.

The other big difference between the Mk II and III is the hitch design. Both are designed to be used with a NATO jaw but the earlier trailer has the hitch mounted on top of the A frame whilst the later one has it in line. This means that it's much easier to make a Mk III tow reasonably level with a typical civilian towing hitch set-up.

The design of the hitch itself is also slightly different: the Mk II requires a metal catch to be swung into place to allow reversing but the Mk III has a push-and-twist button on top of the hitch. When empty on level ground it's not usually necessary to engage either type to reverse them, though.

Here's my last Sankey, a Mk III, behind my old 110:

Click image to enlarge

And the hitch set-up:

Click image to enlarge

They are superb trailers to tow and are essentially bomb proof. Apart from their robustness, their big advantage, particularly if used off-road, is that they match the track of the Defender and use the same wheels. The quality of the ones available though is highly variable. I'm pretty sure that the last was built around 1998 and so there is plenty of scope for ratty old ones, but many have been restored and re-furbished, which can be a better bet. The single biggest problem is rust as the tub is made of steel.

As standard, they were fitted NATO towing electrics and quite often 24v bulbs. Some people leave them like that and just use a trailer board but it's not difficult to convert them to suit civvy electrics. Many, of course, have already been converted.

There's some more detail about the various types in this article:

http://www.emlra.org/index.php/articles/sankey-trailers Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #691883 8th Mar 2018 9:30am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I think some you did have to remove the handbrake bar before reversing, Mine is a Mk2 and I don't have to do this?

I bought a good condition ex Army one for a good price and did it up to match my car Smile Tows very solid and stable and has already been used for carry lots of heavy and large items Smile

My 'build' is here

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43181....ey+trailer

As I collected it, wrong height on the hitch but was just to get it home Smile

Click image to enlarge

Pretty much as it is now.

Click image to enlarge

I still Have 2 Sawtooth Alloys to swap onto it, build a lid / cover, attach a spare wheel add some arches

Thumbs Up
Post #691890 8th Mar 2018 10:45am
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Be careful with a Sankey - you need to unlock the swivel.....

Click image to enlarge
 Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #692026 8th Mar 2018 7:42pm
LandRoverAnorak

Again, model dependant. Later ones have a fixed eye (can't remember whether it's just the MkIII or all wide tracks) and the NATO jaw should be unlocked so that it can rotate when towing them. Earlier models have a rotating eye and the NATO jaw should be locked for those. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #692040 8th Mar 2018 8:10pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Get yourself a mk3, but try and see a couple before you part with your cash.

I’ve had a narrow track and whilst very good behind a Series was a nightmare behind a wider defender. Mk2 was ok, but wanted disc brakes so sold it and got a mk3. Couldnt be without it. Its a bl..dy great trailer although the tubs do rot quickly if you don’t look after them(although owning Landrovers that should be something we’re all used to!). They’re so versatile and so easy towed behind a defender. Doesn’t matter whether 90 or 110 and imagine a 130 too.

But then I bought a Rapier.....and have regretted selling ever since. But the Mk3 won in the end as I couldn’t keep two.

If only they did a Rapier with brake discs?!
Post #692055 8th Mar 2018 9:14pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
There's a good FB page for Sankey's, which often has ones for sale.

I did some research on them before buying my non-sankey trailer. They do have some points which may be considered downsides. Others more knowledgeable might argue otherwise, but for a complete discussion I put out there the following...

They're heavy to move about off the hitch. They are limited to 50mph in military service. Nato hitch might have insurance issues and I believe can't be used in some countries?

Not trying to put you off, hundreds of people use them happily, just thought it was only fair to raise the other side. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #692061 8th Mar 2018 9:41pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Make sure you get the correct hitch unlike this Censored Censored

Click image to enlarge
 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #692076 8th Mar 2018 10:33pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
JOW240725 wrote:
They are limited to 50mph in military service.

Is that down to more operation type issues rather than anything intrinsically in the trailer design?
Post #692131 9th Mar 2018 8:59am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
^^^ I don't know. I've seen several photos with "max. 50 mph" painted on the Sankey. Like you say it might be operational and I've read many people say as long as the trailer is loaded nose heavy it will quite happily tow up to the maximum speed limit.

But for me, if the military limits the speed, it must be for a reason or from experience.

Just putting it out there for consideration. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #692134 9th Mar 2018 9:39am
LandRoverAnorak

Yes, it was an operational choice by the military, to do with the exploits of inexperienced squaddies. There's no inherent problem with the trailers being towed at the legal limit (and beyond). Darren

Post #692142 9th Mar 2018 10:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>