↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine cutting out. 2.4 Tdci 2007
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Griffon12 wrote:
Similar issue on my 2008 2.4, which I've narrowed down to the fuel rail. I can get a good price on the assy with both the VCV and the regulator new and attached. I'm confused about whether I'll need to have the pump re-learn or not. Haynes doesn't suggest it for the full rail replacement but it seems to be mentioned frequently for the VCV replacement. Would appreciate any clarity before I jump in.

Cheers, all!

You are supposed to do a pump relearn after changing the vcv valve but if you can't dont worry it will run just fine Thumbs Up
Post #719448 24th Jul 2018 3:48pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The VCV fits into the fuel pump and is not attached to the fuel rail. The fuel rail has a pressure sensor at the radiator end and an over-pressure relief valve (non-resettable) at the bulkhead end.

Changing the fuel rail bu itself shouldn't require a pump relearn, although I suppose if the old and new pressure sensors gave wildly different readings it might be a problem. The WSM recommends that a pump relearn is carried out after a VCV change, but the engine will generally run pretty well without (it is certainly the case that it will usually run better with a new VCV and no relearn than it was running with a faulty VCV).

The engine management system on the TDCi is adaptive in that it actually runs a sort of continual learning and adaptation process on the fuel system. If you do not carry out a relearn it will eventually optimise fuel delivery anyway, but I am told that this takes longer the higher the mileage on the vehicle. The reason for this strategy is to avoid the need for carrying out a learn cycle on initial build or PDI - the vehicle does it itself. A new engine is likely to need more adaptation as it runs in than an higher-mileage engine, so the process slows down as time passes.

I know of several people (including myself) who have replaced the VCV and not carried out a relearn. Initially there will be a logged DTC (pump relearn not carried out) but if you keep clearing this, after a while it will stay cleared.
Post #719463 24th Jul 2018 5:24pm
Griffon12

Thumbs Up Bow down
Post #719596 25th Jul 2018 8:30am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Not sure if you fixed this? does it restart on its own sometimes? Mine did similar randomly, driving along then dials all go to zero....engine cuts out and sometime stopped completely others it started again a split second later...

No codes to log.

We thought about it logically as no codes, its not a Part beyond the ECU. If you google the symptoms on a transit van or Landy people have changed all manor of parts chasing the problem.

So...

New Starter relay... around £6 and 30 seconds to fit... Nope was not that it still did it.

New ignition switch (bit behind the key) £20 (harder to fit)

Sorted Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #719662 25th Jul 2018 3:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12