Home > Off Topic > Road funding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Road funding
Quote:

"The growing uptake of zero-emission vehicles means revenue from Vehicle Excise Duty and Fuel Duty will continue to decline as a percentage of the UK's GDP in the future," it said.

Hardly surprising comment IMO

So where will they get their pennies from?

Quote:

However, in its report "Funding Roads for the Future" it said charges for road usage should be introduced which took into account:

whether a driver's journey was on motorways or country lanes

the time of day

how much congestion was on the network

drivers' financial circumstances - for example, whether they were students, pensioners or unemployed

Taken from HERE

Discuss

Brendan
Post #681528 25th Jan 2018 12:27am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I am a retired pensioner driving on country roads outside peak hours.
Probably means they will take my eyes out ! Big Cry
As with low emission cars, as soon as electric vehicles etc etc become popular the rates will start to rapidly increase Rolling with laughter 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #681531 25th Jan 2018 12:48am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have a pretty pessimistic view of where this is all going, not just roads, but public transport and the utilities too. Years of inadequate, short sighted decisions and investments. A panic realisation that demands on the system cant be met without an unaffordable massive investement. Introduction of a complex scheme to price people off the system in desperate attempt to make it groan on for a few extra years until it becomes the problem of the following government. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #681556 25th Jan 2018 9:13am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
What he said! ^^^^ Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #681557 25th Jan 2018 9:18am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I agree with Bluest, it's not just road funding that will change. Have you asked yourself why the Govt. is keen to get everyone on smart meters by 2020? No, it's not so you can see how much electricity you are using it's so the utility companies can charge different rates depending on when you are consuming electricity. You'll pay more at peak times and at times of high demand. Oh and don't forget you'll be using more electricity when you get rid of your petrol and diesel cars.

If demand for electricity generation is now running at 96% how are they going to cope with millions of electric cars? Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #681558 25th Jan 2018 9:27am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
You’ll hear phrase “demand management” increasingly over next few years, in relation to these things.

I’m going to sound like a real doom monger here (I’m not honest!), but I do think this country passed peak quality of life for its residents a few years ago. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #681561 25th Jan 2018 9:49am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
The taxes that are most directly linked to motoring are Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and Fuel Duty. Latest figures show that VED generated around £6 billion in 2015, down 1 per cent from 2014 and Fuel Duty about £27 billion. Revenue from Fuel Duty more than tripled between 1987 and 2010 but has remained at £27 billion since then.

In addition to specific road user taxes, some transport expenditure is liable to VAT. In 2012, for private households, a total of £12.2 billion in VAT was raised through motorists buying, running and using their vehicles. (VAT on vehicle purchases raised £3.84 billion; VAT on fuel raised £5.64 billion; and £2.72 billion of VAT was also raised through road users buying other motoring-related goods and services). "RAC website"

Eye watering numbers from us poor sods, Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #681581 25th Jan 2018 1:22pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
So in total £45.2 billion tax income from motorists! Shocked
Post #681593 25th Jan 2018 3:25pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Just about enough to give to Europe Whistle 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #681599 25th Jan 2018 4:02pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
discomog wrote:
I agree with Bluest, it's not just road funding that will change. Have you asked yourself why the Govt. is keen to get everyone on smart meters by 2020? No, it's not so you can see how much electricity you are using it's so the utility companies can charge different rates depending on when you are consuming electricity. You'll pay more at peak times and at times of high demand. Oh and don't forget you'll be using more electricity when you get rid of your petrol and diesel cars.

If demand for electricity generation is now running at 96% how are they going to cope with millions of electric cars?

I have solar panels on my roof - inherited from a previous owner - and would like to fit batteries to store 100% of the generation but the econonics aren't there yet. When they are then peak demand charging should not be an issue hopefully.

I'm confused with Smart meters as I had a generation 1 version fitted to a previous house. Changed supplier and new supplier said they could not get readings from it. Anyway, supplier came and fitted a generation 2 type a couple of years ago and said this one would not have the same issue again. I swapped suppliers and yes, new supplier could not make use of the new smart meter. There really is something odd going on with the roll out of these things.
Post #681614 25th Jan 2018 5:15pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
The only smart thing about it is the maker and his profits, We paid for the incompetence of Smart meter 1 , so guess who is paying for the 2nd version. Question 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #681616 25th Jan 2018 5:21pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I had an issue with my smart meter too. After about a year of nagging from the energy supplier, I finally allowed them to fit one. My electricity bill has nearly doubled since, even though my usage hasn't changed at all.

I can only conclude that the bearings were stiff in the old, whirly-dial, meter, and I was getting more juice than I was being charged for! Whatever the reason, I now wish I hadn't allowed them on my property.
Post #681621 25th Jan 2018 5:39pm
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Hk07
blackwolf wrote:
So in total £45.2 billion tax income from motorists! Shocked

Just to put this in perspective, I heard a commentator on the radio a while back say that to get an understanding of a billion pounds we need to understand that a billion days ago nothing walked upright on this planet. Yet these politicians band around figures like a billion here, a couple of billion there, 20 billion here, as if it were pocket change.

It certainly caught my attention and made me think.

I hope I am alive for the revolution!!! 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #681639 25th Jan 2018 7:27pm
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Some 14 years or so ago John 'Puncher' Prescot wanted to introduce road pricing and on the scale of charges proposed at the time I would have had to give up work because he wanted to charge extra for 'peak' time (7am-9am and 5pm-7pm) and also extra charges for using Motorways.

My 90 mile round trip to work would have cost me, at the prices quoted at the time, £80.00 per day!!!!

I only earned £100 per day so that would not have worked. And no, there was no train or bus service as an alternative.

So you see it is a stoopid idea. Cheers Don.
Post #681800 26th Jan 2018 11:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1