Home > Technical > Stranded on my own drive....i'm offically a tw*t
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ti-fat-man

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
Stranded on my own drive....i'm offically a tw*t
both useless and clueless... Embarassed

my day started off so well, then went rats when i has a few spare hours. i thought i'd have a go and swap over my dampers.

only from my strip-down of my last 90, i had these OME dampers and D44 mounts knocking around the garage. i removed the stock damper and mount, and offered up the D44 mount. because it's significatly larger it fouls one of the fuel lines near the fuel filter, hamfisted like, i tried to push the fuel line away and broke the plastic barb type thing on the filter housing... Embarassed

now guys, whats involved in changing that part, are the fuel lines fitted with a 'hose lock' type fitting that just means push on, pull off? like a valve, cos no fuel has seeped out.

is it something a pleb could change? help required please...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

now that i have all the parts off, i'd like to just refit the stock shock-mount and use the OME damper. but how can i marry this parts, the hole on the OME damper is too small for the LR mount, do i have to remove that metal inner bush?

Censored days...

Click image to enlarge
Post #72029 21st May 2011 8:19pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Censored one mate......I'd take that bush out the OME one drill to the size of the other and refit the LR bush in the OME ?

Edit.... or just try fit the LR bush in the OME shock bit of squeegee and a vice Confused NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #72039 21st May 2011 9:54pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
you squeeze each side of the push fit (the blue green squares) and they pop off. Theyre called "quick fit connectors". But I suspect you'll need a new filter head housing unless the part with the fittings is a seperate part. someone here should be able to tell you if its an individual part or not. They shouldnt leak as there is no pull from the fuel pump, maybe only a drop or two.

re the shocks, are you sure you have the right shocks there? they dont look like the landrover fitting on the eyes and there is no possible way you will get the LR bush into the OME eye, nor should you try.
Post #72042 21st May 2011 10:20pm
ti-fat-man

thanks guys, things looking brighter after a pizza and a few stella's...

just been outside with the maglite, yeah tried the clips and they do clip on-off the (dare say plastic Censored ) barbs...nice, so could be looking at worst case just changing the filter head mount.

as for the dampers, the rears are N44's (eyelet>pin), which i think are quite common for a standard defender.
just googled expeditionexchange site and can see these used on a standard mount. i'm starting to wonder if i have to drive out the metal sleeve, because as i dry fit the mount stud to the eyelet the polybush hole just fits perfect until it meets the metal inner sleeve.

more guidence please, chaps...
Post #72046 21st May 2011 10:44pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
You need the metal inner sleeve just get the one out the LR and fit into the OME Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #72055 21st May 2011 11:52pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Is it the top bit you broke?

Part Number is: WJN500190 indicating £51.98 +VAT retail

Swings and roundabouts on plastic v metal, metal has its downsides! Mike
Post #72065 22nd May 2011 8:24am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I have heard that a re-call is imminent on the fuel filter mounting... Anyone? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #72067 22nd May 2011 8:31am
ti-fat-man

Red-Dot...yeah i wish

MSE...£60 ouch, that'll teach me. great illustration that, where do you source that from. looking from the chassis outwards, its the barb just below the number 1.
Looks reasonably easy to refit a one piece part, just fit the filter body to the chassis mount plate and push fit the four hoses back on, screw on the filter.
Question: why are there four pipes, does the filter check a flow and return or similar? Will the engine just re-start on turn over?

cheers al
Post #72074 22nd May 2011 9:08am
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
Think the best solution for fitting those shocks to the standard mounts is to have the mounts machined to the correct diameter and length - anything else is a bodge.
Post #72076 22nd May 2011 9:14am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
RED-DOT wrote:
I have heard that a re-call is imminent on the fuel filter mounting... Anyone?

I was told that last weekend by a dealer.

Stephen - my OME shocks needed no mods. I just dont think he has the right ones, or his rear mounts are HD mounts and hence wont fit the eyes. It's hard to tell from the pic but either way, something isnt right and nothing should need to be machined for OME to fit.
Post #72081 22nd May 2011 9:30am
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
I'm presuming that the bottom shock bush fits fine and that this model of OME was sourced to work with that top mount. And also that he wants to re-use the shocks he has but doesn't want to relocate the filter, which is necessary with those mounts.

It's a problem.

The machining would avoid moving the filter and (if done properly) assure the bush and eye are properly fitted and not stressed (quite a lot of long travel top eye shocks break when badly fitted). Problem is the machining won't be cheap.

Might even be more than moving the filter. Gwyn Lewis does a kit for the td5 - he might for the puma too?

A cheaper option would be new bushes and sleeves to fit that eye but with a greater I.d - but the bush would have less room to compress then when the axle swings down. Plus from the pic those mounts look like they sit higher - so I am presuming longer shocks - where some of that length is used to increase compression travel and some for droop. If that's the case the standard mounts will put all of that travel on droop exacerbating the smaller bush issue.

Whatever you do it seems it is going to cost something to avoid a bodge.

Last edited by Anderzander on 22nd May 2011 9:52am. Edited 4 times in total
Post #72084 22nd May 2011 9:44am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
In that case might be easier to just sell the shocks and get ones that fit without modification
Post #72085 22nd May 2011 9:48am
ti-fat-man

cheers for the input guys, on both counts...

spent a little while cypersurfing, even reading 96 pages of OME tech sheets... Shocked

seems like, Front: N115 & Rear: N44 is a common spec for Defender 110.

Devon44 show them on there site as such, so i'll give them a ring tomorrow, also passing past the local stealer to order the filter head... Confused
Post #72096 22nd May 2011 10:46am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Just another option:

Gwyn Lewis make a fuel filter relocation plate as it fouls with his challenge kit. Might work out cheaper to speak to him and see if it moves the filter away from your D44 mount.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #72098 22nd May 2011 10:52am
Lorryman100

BigMike wrote:

re the shocks, are you sure you have the right shocks there? they dont look like the landrover fitting on the eyes and there is no possible way you will get the LR bush into the OME eye, nor should you try.

I fitted the OME heavy duty steering damper with the Landrover fitting, and found it to be too small Confused However as there is a lot of metal in the inner bush Whistle a little expanding with a drill solved the problem giving a tight fit with very little removal of the metal bush Thumbs Up
Post #72111 22nd May 2011 1:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>