↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > V8 Soft Top in time for Summer (hopefully)!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
CY88

1986 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Keswick Green
Anyideas wrote:
I've gone with ox4x4 hinges for the bonnet and doors.

Good choice - I can't fault these. Thumbs Up 
FFRR Supercharged - Series One - Defender 90 V8
Post #677405 10th Jan 2018 1:13pm
Anyideas

Thanks, it was off your build that I first saw them Thumbs Up
Post #677443 10th Jan 2018 3:54pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I shall be following your build with interest as that is what I'm currently doing with my factory V8 90 but with a slightly retro theme. Mine is Slate Grey which I really like, however if it had been Bronze Green from the factory I think I would have liked that even better. Mine is at the rolling chassis stage with the rear body fitted and the galvanised cappings back on. Luckily my bulkhead needed no repairs, just paint.

Nice to see another factory V8 90 on here Thumbs Up
Post #677463 10th Jan 2018 5:29pm
defender9

When was your V8 90 built if you don't mind me asking, mine was October 85 but was not registered until October 86.
Post #677467 10th Jan 2018 5:37pm
Anyideas

defender9 wrote:
I shall be following your build with interest as that is what I'm currently doing with my factory V8 90 but with a slightly retro theme. Mine is Slate Grey which I really like, however if it had been Bronze Green from the factory I think I would have liked that even better. Mine is at the rolling chassis stage with the rear body fitted and the galvanised cappings back on. Luckily my bulkhead needed no repairs, just paint.

Looks like we're on similar paths, I'm replacing the front bumper for a galvanized one to match in with the hood sticks and cappings.

Slate grey, may I ask from which manufacturer? I've selected Porsches Slate grey from the 1960's for mine, code 6601. The Panel fascia from the dash is currently being sprayed as I wanted to add a bit of colour into the dash too. Plus it gives me the chance to see if I like it.
Post #677469 10th Jan 2018 5:46pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Can't beat galv cappings and bumper Thumbs Up I had a spare wheel carrier done in galv too. I should take all the tow equip off and get that galv'd too.
Post #677472 10th Jan 2018 6:11pm
defender9

Anyideas wrote:
defender9 wrote:

Looks like we're on similar paths, I'm replacing the front bumper for a galvanized one to match in with the hood sticks and cappings.

Slate grey, may I ask from which manufacturer? I've selected Porsches Slate grey from the 1960's for mine, code 6601. The Panel fascia from the dash is currently being sprayed as I wanted to add a bit of colour into the dash too. Plus it gives me the chance to see if I like it.

Slate Grey is a Land Rover factory colour from 1984 to I believe 1991. Code is LCN348.

All the cappings, bumper etc were galvanised on mine so that's the way they will stay, I like the functional look, before LR decided they needed to make Land Rovers "posh". Rolling Eyes
Post #677473 10th Jan 2018 6:19pm
defender9

The Porsche Slate Grey (Steve McQueen had one) you mention doesn't look a million miles away from the LR Slate Grey. Looks great on a Porsche and a Land Rover Thumbs Up
Post #677474 10th Jan 2018 6:25pm
Anyideas

Not much to report still awaiting the delivery of the chassis. Which TBH I haven’t even chased. My fabric has finally arrived so I can get my seats, cubby box and sun visors recovered in the meantime.

Also ordered the raptor engineering instrument binnacle. After messing around with various paint colours I have changed away from the grey I had originally picked and have decided to add a bit of the outside colour to the inside.

Click image to enlarge

What do you think of the choice?
Post #681617 25th Jan 2018 5:28pm
Anyideas

So after the 70th edition was announced and I saw some images it got me thinking. I spoke to Gavin at artmin and he done these for me.

Click image to enlarge
Post #684492 6th Feb 2018 12:18pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Nice dash and nice badges!
Post #684493 6th Feb 2018 12:27pm
Romadog

Interesting to see this progress Thumbs Up

Just struggling to understand the need to put 'Soft Top' on the rear badge......... Confused

Though I do admit that I put a turbo sticker on my S3 2 1/4L petrol......that was 26yrs ago though Shocked Very Happy
Post #684574 6th Feb 2018 7:26pm
Anyideas

So it’s been a while and finally some progress although not as much as I would have hoped for various reasons.

It’s been a tough time getting it to its current position but it’s back together (sort of) and has an MOT, it’s finally with the body shop. It arrived on Friday and after a walk around they have added a couple more jobs it needs from them before paint.

Upto this point as well as the chassis being replaced, the suspension has all been replaced, as has the fuel tank and the axles have been cleaned, painted and parts replaced where needed.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I haven’t got that many pictures
Post #761709 3rd Mar 2019 4:24pm
Anyideas

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is where it’s currently at, I’m not even going to mention a date that it may be back from the body shop as every date I’ve said has been missed Big Cry
Post #761710 3rd Mar 2019 4:31pm
Anyideas

Romadog wrote:
Interesting to see this progress Thumbs Up

Just struggling to understand the need to put 'Soft Top' on the rear badge......... Confused

Though I do admit that I put a turbo sticker on my S3 2 1/4L petrol......that was 26yrs ago though Shocked Very Happy

They are not rear badges but ones for the front wings which will be fitted behind the front wheels. They needed something more than just V8 as it didn’t look right.
Post #761711 3rd Mar 2019 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>