↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Defender 2006 TD5 Throttle Peddle Problem ......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Mc071963

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Hi Roel & Ferg,

Firstly lets never mention eggs !! I'm always pleased to hear anything that might help and that includes real basic things that I might have missed. Please assume I'm an idiot (I'm not really but you know what I mean)

After the dismantling of the connector and the cleaning I think we are in a better position.

HOWEVER the clip that holds the black socket on the wiring loom into the ecu is not as tight as I'd like it hence the cable ties in the picture.

Roels experiences with connectors pulling apart is also very interesting, I've tugged on all the cables on the black socket so I think I'm ok on that one.

I've been out and about this afternoon and no sign of the engine light but we shall see what happens.

Next weekend I'm going to Salisbury Plain with some mates, it will be interesting to see if I make it through the weekend !!

The more we discuss this the more I'm coming to the conclusion that if I've not cracked it then it's either the ecu black socket or the connections inside it or the cable to the peddle or the plug at the peddle end.

I've got new plugs and sockets on standby, the other peddle I tried was 2nd hand off ebay - I suppose it's possible that I've got two peddles with exactly the same fault but I recon that's really pushing it.

Once again that's for all your help and time

Martin TD5 90 in Hertfordshire
Post #690291 2nd Mar 2018 5:37pm
Mc071963

Hi Guys,

So, I went to Salisbury last weekend, drove down there on Friday evening through LOADS of rain …… kept driving through puddles and all was good for the first half of the journey. (70 odd miles plus 45 or so at home)

Then I hit this MASSIVE pool of water in the road and engine light comes on and I pull to the side of the road.

This time it takes 5 mins of off and on to get everything going again, I bung my Hawkeye on the car and

19 – Driver Demand sup = 0.00v

Is the signal that’s not changing as I move the throttle peddle.

So I think right water related.

But then I go to Salisbury and do this for most of the day ….

Not a sign of any problem at all.

So This weekend it’s new cable between the throttle and the ecu

I can only imagine that I’ve got a fractured wire in the loom somewhere, it certainly can’t be water getting into the loom else Saturday would not have been so much fun !

More Later

Post #693218 14th Mar 2018 10:00am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
That is strange. A puddle off water triggers the ECU but driving through deepwater not.

Do you have a Cruise control installed? I had a wobbly connection there making me to loose the Throttle. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #693278 14th Mar 2018 2:48pm
Mc071963

Hi Roel,

Nope but I'd love a cruise control !!!

Like I said - only thing left is change the cable between the throttle and the ecu

I'd swear that it's getting less frequent tho .... but then I thought throwing away my EGR made the world go faster.

still at least it did not stop in the middle of that puddle Laughing TD5 90 in Hertfordshire
Post #693281 14th Mar 2018 2:55pm
Mc071963

well I've now changed the cable between the throttle and the black socket on the ecu.

As it happens all 5 of the cables were 200 ohms or there abouts.

I shall report back !!! TD5 90 in Hertfordshire
Post #693872 16th Mar 2018 9:02pm
Mc071963

Hurra !!! (I hope)
Hello Roel, MadTom, fergyreid, geobloke, ibexman, blackwolf, bankz5152, rallysteve, mse

So it’s been over a month since I posted into this thread and since I changed the actual wiring between the throttle and the ecu I’ve been ok.

I’ve also been to strata florida in Wales and managed to get up Dunlop hill as well without any issues with throttles and ecu along with 1500 miles or so added to my Defender !!!

So while hanging onto a piece of wood for good luck I post here to tell you the state of play and also to thank you all for your comments and suggestions which have ALL been really useful.

If your reading this thread because you have a throttle that keeps giving you ecu errors like mine then I am pretty sure that one of two things fixed my one. The most likely is that I had a fractured cable between the throttle and the ECU where the loom runs up the gearbox tunnel. The other possibility is that the connectors in the ecu header benefited from being changed and cleaned but my money is on the new cable.

Anyway thanks again for all your help chaps ….. I’m now off to fit switches to my ecu to enable the cruise control to try and make motorways a bit less boring !

Cheers

Post #702145 21st Apr 2018 12:42pm
Craig772

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Really useful read. Lots to at when I investigate mine this weekend. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to get their thoughts down Thumbs Up
Post #1022429 24th Jan 2024 9:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345