↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > spotlights/driving lights advice needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
spotlights/driving lights advice needed
i would like to fit a pair of extra driving lights to my 110 but do not want to fit an A bar. Because the vehicle has air conditioning i want to put the lights either side of the grille on the bumper.
has anyone got any recommendations of do's or don'ts for this.
i was thinking of a pair of Warn 160 and i hope they won't protrude infront of the bumper.
many thanks
Post #63102 10th Mar 2011 1:52pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We have Lightforce 170 on the bumpers of our 110's and our D2

Remember if not wire through the main beam switch illegal for road use in the UK

Have had the Lightforce 170 on our red A110 AFor years and they have been regulary dunked in water, blasted with gravel etc and they are still good Thumbs Up

My vote would be for Lightforce

Brendan
Post #63107 10th Mar 2011 2:01pm
farmer giles

Cheers for that Brendan.

Is there much difference between the 140 and the 170 models? (please don't say 30mm)

just to clarify these lights can ONLY be used if wired through the main beam?
many thanks
Thumbs Up
Post #63124 10th Mar 2011 3:38pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
farmer giles wrote:
just to clarify these lights can ONLY be used if wired through the main beam?
many thanks
Thumbs Up

No brenden is not correct.

The legislation dictates that front spot lights for road use (note not fogs) must illuminate to indicate they are one AND be of the correct spec for the UK 55w

You can have them on a seperate switch as long as it tells you they are on...after all thats all the main beam switch is!! Mike
Post #63130 10th Mar 2011 5:40pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I think Brendan IS correct

Quote:
..."driving lights" must be wired so that they go off using the same switch as your obligatory main beams.
(Schedule 5, Parts I and II of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989)
 John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #63144 10th Mar 2011 6:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
JSG wrote:

Quote:
..."driving lights" must be wired so that they go off using the same switch as your obligatory main beams.

Im still not sure - not if they arent wired to come on with Main Beam - you have have them switched independently with front warning light and thats fine...they are then for off road use only

Also remember, driving lights, spot lights and fog lights are all different.

All my land rovers are wired to not include the main beam and all pass their MOT's - from roof mounted spots to the front spotlights etc Mike
Post #63150 10th Mar 2011 6:58pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I think what Brendan is trying to say is the lights should be wired so when you turn your full beam on they should come on, when the auxiliary lights own sworn is in the closed position. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #63160 10th Mar 2011 7:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSG

mse wrote:
JSG wrote:

Quote:

Im still not sure - not if they arent wired to come on with Main Beam - you have have them switched independently with front warning light and thats fine...they are then for off road use only

Also remember, driving lights, spot lights and fog lights are all different.

All my land rovers are wired to not include the main beam and all pass their MOT's - from roof mounted spots to the front spotlights etc

Driving lights and Spot lights are the same and differ from Fog lamps in where they are positioned rather than what you bought them for.

The regs apply to 'on road' use they can be switched independantly from main beam if used off road but must be wired to be off when the main beam is off if used on road. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS

Last edited by JSG on 10th Mar 2011 9:10pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #63184 10th Mar 2011 8:25pm
GN

I intend to go with the same set-up as FarmerGiles - a pair of spot lights mounted to the standard bumber each side of the grill. I've had a set of IPF 130's for several years now on the front of my D3 - they have been great. Will wire them through to the hign beam with an isolation switch. The only issue at all I have had with the IPF 130's is they are pencil beam - so any small amount of vibration translates in to a lot of movement at full range. I had to add extra stays to the top of lights to tighten everything up. - Hey FarmerGiles - I'd like to see some pictures of your set-up once done -
Post #63191 10th Mar 2011 8:55pm
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Sorry to be cheeky, but....

If any of you are interested, I have a pair of UNUSED Hella Luminator lamps, which I was going to put in the 'for sale' section.

The same as these (I bought them from same company):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...638wt_1141

Complete with wiring kit (bought separately). They were bought to go on my A-bar, but don't work upside down (doh!), so I fitted LR ones instead. Total package cost me £172, but I'm selling for £100 plus postage (or you can collect).

Would work perfectly mounted to a bumper, though! Smile 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #63212 10th Mar 2011 10:46pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
There is a lot of confusion with regard to additional driving lights/spot lights.

Basically off road the law with regards to lights, tax, insurance, mot etc do not apply as you are not on a public highway. Hence you can do what you like with regards to your lights.

Just because your vehicle passes its MOT does not mean that all the lights are actually road legal in the UK.

Basically your lights must not blind oncoming motorists when used on UK roads and technically the lights must be E marked

For on road use this basically means that all additional spots/driving lights should be extinguished when the main beam is dipped.

The additional lights can have a secondary switch wired via the main beam. Means you can have main beam or main beam + additional lights. You can not have additional lights separately on with this system

Our Disco has two Lightforce 170 on the bumper wired via the main beam. They come on with the main beam. The operation of these additional lights is legal. However on a technicality they are illegal as no E mark.

On our 110's the Lightforce 170's are not wired via the main beam. Hence they can not be extinguished via the main beam and hence is illegal for road use in the UK. The four spot lights on the roof are not road legal as they are not wired via the main switch, hence possibility of dazzilng oncoming drivers.

Personally I believe it is good practise to have some driving lights not wired through the main beam switch. The main beam switch is renown for failing due to plastic melting in the switch. Hence extra lights can prove useful

The above is my understanding of the complex law and is not a definitive answer

Difference between Lightforce 140 and 170? Besides 30mm Rolling with laughter main difference is light output.
170 has a 100 watt Xenophot LIGHT OUTPUT (12V) | 350 000 candela | 1 lux @ 650 m
140 has a 75 watt Xenophot LIGHT OUTPUT | 110 000 candela | 1 lux @ 450 m

When comparing lights the important figures to look at is the effective light output i.e. range for 1 lux etc

The Lightforce lights are waterproof, rustproof, shock proof and bullet resistant. Gravel rash is just shrugged off by Lightforce lights unlike some other makes Whistle Wonder how I know?

More details HERE

HTH

Brendan
Post #63213 10th Mar 2011 10:46pm
pannawonica

Australia 

Click image to enlarge

Go for the lightforce, as said they are excellant performers and robust.
The Genesis model as pictured do the job! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #63233 11th Mar 2011 3:11am
BarneyRubble

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Dual Output?
Can anybody recommend a set of dual output auxiliary lights that can be used to supplement dipped headlights as well as providing a high beam output? Barney

D4 - 2016 Graphite, Montalcino Red
Written Off - 2010 90 Hard Top, Stornoway Grey
Post #63246 11th Mar 2011 9:18am
farmer giles

sorry for causing an arguement about legalities Shocked that wasn't my intention.
they will be driving lights used for the dark roads here in sunny worcestershire (including when other road users think that i have NOT dipped my lights - i'm sure you have all experienced that).

my other alternative is to go for the J E Engineering solution of mounting the lights IN the grille. i had that done on my old Td5 90; but that didn't have a/c.

Where are you based szracer? I live just outside Broadway and i would like to buy your lights. Please could you pm me?

GN - I will post pictures up a) when the lights are fitted b) when i can work out how to use a computer Whistle

i have noticed that there are a few people on here from Gloucestershire and Worcestershire and wonder if a meet up could be arranged?
Post #63249 11th Mar 2011 9:30am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I would suggest you need a pair of thin lights. I know lightforce and they are thick. You can get away with a some basic hella 500. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #63250 11th Mar 2011 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>