↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My 1994 300Tdi SW
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
That will help allot Donald with the pressure lifted off with the rust bucket Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #764733 21st Mar 2019 8:32pm
donmacn

Not a big update today. Now got all four doors off, and today stripped the dash on the inside.

Click image to enlarge

Still waiting for the new loom to arrive. But tomorrow I'll get the old one out completely, and 'silent coat' the bulkhead and work out how I can make the audio installation a bit neater and more professional than I did last time.

Also took these guys down to the refurb shop. Should get them back middle of next week, though I think it'll be a little longer before I change the tyres over. Apart from anything else I'll need to have the car back together to get it out of the garage!

Click image to enlarge

Edited to add, that on the downside, I discovered that the lower dash/heater duct will need replaced. Big Cry At the lower right corner it's just about crumbled away. It's just being held together by the vinyl and foam... Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #765058 23rd Mar 2019 8:03pm
L110CDL

England 
Your getting on with it Donald, good strip down Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #765375 25th Mar 2019 8:23pm
donmacn

Thanks Clayton,

I must admit today feels a bit like 'groundhog day' - can't help thinking that here I am again... Removing stuff I've fitted not so long ago.

This is where I got to today - removed all of the 'Wright off road' matting from the front ( so that I can put 'silent coat' underneath it).

I also removed the 2nd row floor, so that I could get to the 2nd row toe/kick panel, and then decided to remove that too! I was here before just at Christmas time, and decided then that I didn't need to take it out... Embarassed Neutral Idiot! I should have just taken it out to make sure it was done properly in the first place.

Click image to enlarge

So that's definitely a lesson learned. Do it once, do it right. Apart from stripping off all the powdered aluminium where the front row seatbelt; and the 2nd row door check strap brackets attach (you can just see these, and the corrosion in the pic below), I'll be able to put gaskets on the other side, where this panel bolts onto the chassis mountings.

The panel is downstairs now having been primed, and I'm going to try and get a coat of topcoat on before knocking off for the night. It's all going to be covered in 'silent coat' and rubber chequer plate anyway, but I just want the metal to have a good covering of protective paint.

And earlier I'd removed the underfloor supports from the rear tub. Not much of an issue there. I'm waiting for some POR15 to come up the road so that I can pre-paint the replacement panels before fitting. Another lesson I'd learnt earlier. One day, if I'm lucky, I'll get quite good at this! You can see No. 1 Lump hammer lurking here, just in case things get serious!

Click image to enlarge

When the chassis was replaced last year, I did ask for 'gaskets' to be used wherever possible to separate alu. and steel. They weren't all done. One the places they weren't was really annoying - along the top of the rear cross-member. As we all know this is a spot where corrosion happens all too easily, and where access is impossible without removing the floor or fuel tank.

So, while the floor was up anyway, I took the chance to swap out the bolts for stainless; to put nylon gaskets down behind the cross-member tabs; to use a nylon washer at the back and to cover it all in weicon paste..

Click image to enlarge

When the floor goes in I'm toying with the idea of using rivnuts, rather than pop rivets. This would make it much easier to lift out again for access, if it was ever needed. I'm planning on more silent coat, and a load tray anyway, so not having the boot floor completely flush isn't going to be a big issue.

New wiring loom arrived today as well, but a bit late to do much more than take it out of the packet and do a quick comparison with the old one. Looks pretty good though. Hopefully getting that in, and silent coating the bulkhead, front seat box and the 2nd row toe panel will be tomorrow's achievements.

And while this is all very interesting and necessary...... what I'm "supposed" to be doing is fitting new doors, and prepping flaking paint spots on the outside of the car, so that it's ready for the paint shop in a fortnight! Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #765389 25th Mar 2019 9:01pm
L110CDL

England 
I think that the strip down is a good move forward the up and coming paint shop, save you allot of money as they wont have to take much off Wink

Yes, a big lesson learned with doing the job there and then and not saying to ones self, it will ok Rolling Eyes

I know some people like rivnuts, but i don't like them at all, i always find they seize, even if you lube or what ever you use to try and keep them from seizing up Evil or Very Mad i would always use pop rivets, at least you can always drill them out Very Happy

With all what your doing to the landy, your doing a great job Bow down 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #765399 25th Mar 2019 9:55pm
donmacn

Getting on for a very big day now.... P-day on Monday when I take the car to the paintshop.....

Since the update above I've had the wings on and off; new wiring loom in; new wiring loom 'car won't start'! crisis; car electrician out to fix it, etc etc. Today though I got the dash/clocks back in temporarily and the car moved out of the shed under its own power.

Right then - time to do a 'first fit' on the newly-painted doors....

Click image to enlarge

Starting to look like a car again! This shows how good the car is going to look; but also just why it now needs painted. Red fades so badly, so it would look just stupid with new doors and old paint.

The bulkhead vents aren't "reflecting the light" - they are actually white! Mine had stuck on the pins on the passenger side and bent the hinge, so it wasn't sealing right. These will get painted.

On the off-side, shows the new outer wing which I decided to fit - this will eradicate the evidence of 'reversing on the Sabbath' about 8 or 9 years ago which had left a big dent at the top corner.

Click image to enlarge

So tomorrow I need to clean the car and go round each panel and sand down any loose paint, then prime it. Paintman will take it from there. The primer is a light green so the car will look like it has the measles....

Then it's paintshop on Monday/pick up on Friday....! Watch this space! Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #767230 6th Apr 2019 5:37pm
L110CDL

England 
Great to see all the hard work and the long hours coming together now Donald, she's outside, taking in some air Wink

The freshly painted doors look good on and the rest of her will look good when done, roll on Friday Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #767719 8th Apr 2019 8:14pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #767770 9th Apr 2019 3:24am
Timo

Canada 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alveston Red
How did the paint end up. Really enjoying this thread

Cheers Series II in pieces
1984 Defender 110 (3.5l V8 now 300TDI)
Post #779180 27th Jun 2019 1:49am
donmacn

Thanks Timo - I'm long overdue an update or two on this thread - I've done a lot of stuff in the last few months. Off work the next couple of weeks, so I'll catch up then. But very happy with the paintwork really - car looks great! Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #779190 27th Jun 2019 7:13am
Timo

Canada 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alveston Red
Post pics when you can. Would be great to see

Cheers Series II in pieces
1984 Defender 110 (3.5l V8 now 300TDI)
Post #779309 28th Jun 2019 3:14am
L110CDL

England 
+1 Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #779789 1st Jul 2019 7:58pm
donmacn

(a wee note to start - either my broadband's got worse, or all the neighbours are watching netflix... I've had to compress some of the photos to get them onto the gallery. Hopefully this will make no difference, but if there's something that can't be 'zoomed' let me know and I'll try and post a bigger size pic of that one.)

So - back by popular demand.... well, at least one person’s asked nicely...and thanks for that! Thumbs Up

As I’ve said a couple of times above, it’s amazing to think that it’s been so long since the last update, and that there’s so much to detail.

For this first one then, here’s a couple of pics of just before I took the car down to the paintshop. I’d gone round it, and anywhere I saw a paint bubble, I took it down to bare metal and put a little acid etch primer on it. A Defender with measles...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I think the painter ended up going over most of these himself anyway, but at least I’d highlighted the areas needing attention.

Now, just after the car came back from the paintshop.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And a couple more once I'd added other stuff like wheel arches, front panel etc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Really happy with this. (Roof deliberately not done). The last time I polished the car, probably about 10 years ago, was by hand and I think I got ‘repetitive strain injury’ by the time I was finished. I’m seriously thinking of getting a local car finisher to do a ‘ceramic wax’ on this once the weather’s warmer.

Next thing – according to the dates on my camera – was to finish the rear tub floor. First of all I put all the new cross-braces in,

Click image to enlarge

‘tacked’ them in place with a couple of rivets and then drilled all the holes.

Click image to enlarge

I then dropped the floor in, marked it up, and drilled it as well.

Click image to enlarge

Then I took them back out again, and painted them using the Frosts POR15.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It’s a bit of a double effort – putting it in, drilling it, then taking it out again – but I didn’t want to paint the parts and then drill holes. That was the theory anyway, and it mainly worked, with only a few needing to be re-drilled.

I really didn’t like the way that the breather pipes from the tank (Plastic TD5 tank) just sat over the top of the chassis rails, but I couldn’t see any way or re-routing them that would have maintained a constant upward angle, so as not to create a ‘sump’ that could potentially fill and stop them working.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So I reinforced them. A bit ‘rough and ready’ but at least it’s more protection than they had.

Click image to enlarge

Then it was back in with the nicely painted under floor brackets, top hats and floor.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I reckon this is good for the long haul now. I've since covered it in 'silent coat' and Wright's PU matting - but that's for a later post.

Next job seems to have been fitting out the new doors. They were on, but just held shut by bungees for the trip to/from the paintshop.

The old ones really were in a bad way – looked not too bad from the outside – frames rusting badly inside.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Every door got a good covering of ‘silent coat’ and then some additional closed cell foam. Having checked that this didn't foul the window mechanism!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The difference this makes when closing a door is amazing! A really solid sounding thump instead of the tinny ‘clang’ before. Once I get the door cards back on, I’m really looking forward to a hefty drop in decibel levels in the car.

That’ll do for now – I’ll try and add a couple more updates in the next couple of days to get back up to date.

But.... a wee 'teaser' for where this is going in the next week or so...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #808107 30th Dec 2019 7:33pm
L110CDL

England 
Many thanks Donald for the great update, what a transformation with the nice new paint work Cool

I'm still non the wiser as i can't make out what is in the plastic Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #808153 30th Dec 2019 9:14pm
donmacn

Patience is a virtue Clayton! I will just say that it was planned, and not accidental or unexpected.... Very Happy Question

I'll try not to keep you waiting too long! Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #808160 30th Dec 2019 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>