↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Films
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
nitram, the first time I saw it was when I was in my 20s, and I loved it. But watching it again in my 50s I realised that it's just sentimental nonsense. And it was the slushy sentimentality of it that really turned me off. I'm too cynical - based on real-life experiences! Judge all you like Smile I do that based on what people say, so I don't mind people doing it to me. Now left.
Post #670092 10th Dec 2017 5:40pm
nitram17

Wonderful life is escapist entertainment its not a documentary ..its about how a simple mans life matters to his family and frienrds its Capra at his best, creating simple soppy message movies for the masses and for me its part of christmas and thats where it belongs its akin to the Flashing blade, Robinson Crusoe,Champion the wonder horse take me back to summmer breaks when i was a kid............as for judging you well we all judge and categorise others and on here its usually whether you like chekka plate or not or whether your daft enough pay over 1000 quid for a roof rack oh yes the brexit thing!
Post #670128 10th Dec 2017 7:12pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
nitram17 wrote:
Rashers wrote:
The West Wing box set.

That should keep you going for weeks. I don't usually like American stuff like this, but Martin Sheen is, in my opinion, the best President America never had. Allison Janney as CJ is absolute class in the White House press conferences.

It has been said that it is (well was before Mr Trump) fairly realistic as to how the White House operates. The current Mrs Rashers did a marathon watching of The West Wing last winter ago and I found it surprisingly entertaining.

The west wing is a fantasy not a drama ..that said i liked it even though it felt like a propaganda film/series for usa political system.

I like that the Americans have something positive to say about their politicians and political system. It's a shame that we can't do something less cynical on this side of the pond.
That said, didn't you notice in WW that there were lots of good intentions and lovely speeches, but that they never quite managed to achieve anything at all. Amazing that the could predict Obama's presidency so accurately!
Post #670209 11th Dec 2017 8:13am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
On a Land Rover forum, I cannot believe that ‘The Gods must be crazy’ has not been mentioned! 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #670236 11th Dec 2017 11:51am
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Peaky blinders.
Just awesome absolutely awesome
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #670432 12th Dec 2017 1:44am
nitram17

AMBxx wrote:
nitram17 wrote:
Rashers wrote:
The West Wing box set.

That should keep you going for weeks. I don't usually like American stuff like this, but Martin Sheen is, in my opinion, the best President America never had. Allison Janney as CJ is absolute class in the White House press conferences.

It has been said that it is (well was before Mr Trump) fairly realistic as to how the White House operates. The current Mrs Rashers did a marathon watching of The West Wing last winter ago and I found it surprisingly entertaining.

The west wing is a fantasy not a drama ..that said i liked it even though it felt like a propaganda film/series for usa political system.

I like that the Americans have something positive to say about their politicians and political system. It's a shame that we can't do something less cynical on this side of the pond.
That said, didn't you notice in WW that there were lots of good intentions and lovely speeches, but that they never quite managed to achieve anything at all. Amazing that the could predict Obama's presidency so accurately!

The Americn political system was designed by founding fathers so as it would be difficult to change things unless there was widespread agreement ...hence inertia of the obama 8 years.......i dont see the positives of the american systen thatr you see just the great myth that anyone if they work hard enough can be president and if only they could pick the right president all will be well with the world ..its a fantasy !the ww is very entertaining nonsense akin to the best of frank capra but it is as far from reality as thomas the tank engine is to british rail.
Post #670434 12th Dec 2017 2:24am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
>> far from reality as thomas the tank engine is to british rail

Careful, that's the foundation of Jeremy Corbyn's rail policies (Thomas, not BR)
Post #670446 12th Dec 2017 8:43am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Pilgrimmick wrote:
On a Land Rover forum, I cannot believe that ‘The Gods must be crazy’ has not been mentioned!

Well, it is a spectacularly awful film, with only about one redeeming feature!
Post #670459 12th Dec 2017 10:29am
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
I suggest Jake Speed if you can find it. For similar reasons, it is an awful film with two good landies and a hilarious jeep. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #670469 12th Dec 2017 12:00pm
nitram17

AMBxx wrote:
>> far from reality as thomas the tank engine is to british rail

Careful, that's the foundation of Jeremy Corbyn's rail policies (Thomas, not BR)

Rolling with laughter i would have thought it was more like fantasy island.."the train boss"!
Post #670621 13th Dec 2017 12:18am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Maybe for members of a certain age a Peter Sellers film, 'Being There' is a movie to remember, especially at the end when Chance walks on water, why because no one has told Chance the gardener that he can't. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #670622 13th Dec 2017 12:27am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Oh! I forgot about the film Easy Rider, it might be fifty years ago that I watched it at the local cinema but the end of that film I have never forgotten, how many of the multi-million dollar blockbuster of the last four decades can you say that about, great soundtrack and a movie that has spawned so many others, sadly not one as good. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #670623 13th Dec 2017 12:32am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I also liked spike island but you kind of have to like the band the stone roses to watch it as it features a lot of their music. A decent low budget funny British coming of age film. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #670625 13th Dec 2017 12:48am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Best coming of age films have got to be Gregory's Girl or Stand By Me. Loved both, and seen both at least three times. Now left.
Post #670641 13th Dec 2017 9:42am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Pilgrimmick wrote:
On a Land Rover forum, I cannot believe that ‘The Gods must be crazy’ has not been mentioned!

Well, it is a spectacularly awful film, with only about one redeeming feature!

True! 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #670651 13th Dec 2017 10:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>