Home > In Car Electronics > Tablet advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
v8bobber

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
Tablet advice
Hi all,

I am looking for a tablet to put in my 110. I have seen the mount I want but don't know what to put in it!

I have always had iphones so I thought an ipad would be the best choice. However after calling into Currys to see which would be the best Ipad (they only had two on display!) there seems to be quite a choice of android based ones which are considerably cheaper.

The current stereo system is already good and connects via bluetooth from my iphone for music / calls and would like something that will browse the web, something I can download a movie to (have netflix). I spend a fair bit of time waiting for the kids to do their various activities so it would be nice to watch a bit of a movie or stream TV. I know I can use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot although never have. I can obviously use it in the house then if needs be.

I note that some of the android tablets have the ability to expand their memory, unlike the ipads.

It would also be nice to have a built in sat nav

So as it stands I would like something with a decent size memory, GPS, and wifi. I am open to advice though as I know diddly squat about tablets. If the ipads were worth the extra I wouldn't mind paying it but I get the feeling that you are paying for the name a bit.

Would anyone be able to offer me some buying advice? Either on this thread or PM? It may be a lengthy conversation Shocked

Regards

Dave
Post #659177 23rd Oct 2017 4:07pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Thats what I thought in the past, but for me nothing works better than an iPad. If buying one, make sure to go for the one you can install a sim card in it as it has GPS build in.
Post #659181 23rd Oct 2017 4:20pm
Theater

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
" Old " Tablet Samsung Galaxy tab 4 10.1 Wi-Fi and http://osmand.net/

Marco

Defender 110 "SW" SE Galway Green MY 2009
Ex Defender 90 "SW" S Santorini Black MY 2010
Post #659188 23rd Oct 2017 4:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
v8bobber

Hell you havent got much windscreen left lol. Thats the type of thing though but Id like it to mount on the passenger side and be big enough (10 inch?) that I can tilt it to watch from the drivers seat

Currys have a special offer on this

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ta...0-pdt.html

Which is a fair bit less than i was expecting. The memory can be expanded fairly easily too, with an SD card. No mention of GPS mind 🤔
Post #659194 23rd Oct 2017 5:17pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I have a tab 2 that is 7incch as my sat nav , view ranger and engine management thingy .. it all works well and does everything I ask of it .. plus its quite cheap!

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #659210 23rd Oct 2017 6:28pm
993porky

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Baltic Blue
I have a tesco hudl (one not newer two) it has gps so use it as sat nav and memory maps for greenlaning plus expandable memory with micro sd cards.
I use ipad in house but prefer the hudl in car as you dont have to pay for sim as youd have to with ipad.
These hudl are really cheap plenty on ebay Thumbs Up
Post #659231 23rd Oct 2017 7:31pm
v8bobber

Can you not have sat nav on a iPad without a SIM card then?
Post #659252 23rd Oct 2017 8:31pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
993porky wrote:
I have a tesco hudl (one not newer two) it has gps so use it as sat nav and memory maps for greenlaning plus expandable memory with micro sd cards.
I use ipad in house but prefer the hudl in car as you dont have to pay for sim as youd have to with ipad.
These hudl are really cheap plenty on ebay Thumbs Up

Could you tell me more about the hudl you say the hudl 1 is better why? Are the map preloaded can you go on the internet the same as a phone ,I have a IPhone.I am thinking of a larger screen device but as it will be just left in the Defender don't want to spend to much and these are as cheap as chips.Sorry for all the question .
Post #659272 23rd Oct 2017 9:34pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Course you can.

Used my iPad with Memory Map etc. numerous times. No SIM required. But only the SIM version has the GPS antenna, or at least that was the case when I bought mine.
Post #659273 23rd Oct 2017 9:35pm
v8bobber

Sorry I didnt word my reply accurately.

Whether you put a SIM card in it or not you still have to buy the cellular version with the SIM card slot.....

Still costs a lot more. The cellular 128gb version is well over 500
Post #659283 23rd Oct 2017 11:12pm
tookaphotoof

It still is. Only the cellular version of the iPad has gps build in and you can use it without sim card installed.
Post #659293 24th Oct 2017 7:09am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I did try recently to create a personal WiFi hotspot from my iPhone to IPad as the phone has GPS but the iPad is basic WiFi.

Using OS maps I found the phone to be 100% accurate,
The iPad howeve, doing it this way was patchy and often inaccurate often 100m inaccurate.

At least that was my experience.

Another issue with iPads is getting GPS signal even if you have the Cell / GPS version. Id be very careful sticking too much up in the window impairing view.

My perfect solution would have been as I suggested above with phone dealing with the GPS in dash and iPad in a ram mount on passenger grab handle. Just a pity it doesnt really work or it would be superb.

In future Ill probably tend to lean towards using and getting a large screen iPhone and use that. The practicality of finding room, a safe place and GOS signal on the iPad isnt easy.
Some of you might wish to give this a go, I tested it out quickly but didnt seem to work all that well Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #659345 24th Oct 2017 10:45am
tookaphotoof

I use the ipad with Gaia GPS. Dont have problems with the gps reception.
Post #659391 24th Oct 2017 12:59pm
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I use a non cellular iPad Air in Survivor case on a Ram Mount to the grab handle. For the GPS I use a Navilock GNS 2000, this is 5v powered with an internal battery, I have it fixed to the rear of the Ram mount, its below the line of the windscreen and works perfectly via Bluetooth to the iPad. For nav software I use Maps.me, GPS HD or Wikiloc depending on what Im doing.

One thing I would say about iPads is that they are great and just, well, work! but if youre buying a new one buy the most memory you can afford, Ive got 128gb and have never come near to running out of memory even with almost all of the Maps.me Western Europe maps installed. Having said that I think you can now get extra storage which plugs into the lightning connector, perhaps someone who knows more can comment?

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #659393 24th Oct 2017 1:10pm
993porky

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Baltic Blue
Hi legin
i use hudl one as tbh hudl2 wasnt out when i bought mind and didnt want to advice on the 2 without knowing its capabilities Thumbs Up
The hudl i have my memory maps on sd card from previous purchases so was a case of just downloading the app, i also hav navman free sat nav app installed.you can have videos stored on hudl to watch if you spend time in defender waiting to pick people up.
The screen is a nice size not to bulky but much clearer and easier to use while on the go using memory maps or satnav,a big improvement on iphone Thumbs Up
Post #659408 24th Oct 2017 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>