↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
pickles only thing is someone will still try it on with a different scam sadly, if we don't act now with some kind of defence. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #663625 12th Nov 2017 3:32am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Re: Security
flydive wrote:
Paulv8 wrote:
How viable is it that we start a list of bona-fide verified members? To be on the list you must be verified by another member who has met you, knows your address, knows you etc.

Might work for UK members, but what about us foreigners?

Flydive, simples, I buy from you, you buy from me. We are no foreigners to each other. Most others are though. Shocked

Now seriously, all these site policing and seller vetting suggestions are not necessarily going to help this forum. Cannot imagine that def2 would go the way as Paulv8 suggests. Members being given some kind of reliability rating. Before you know it you arrive at a caste system, and very ugly discussions will be flying around on here. I still remember the freedom of speech discussion on here, don't ever want to see something like that start again.
People simply have run into this coatseyyy trap with open eyes, when you re-read the 23 pages of all coatseyyy posts there is not one single post with some real substance. A dirty quick check of this should have raised an easy flag. Lesson learned I hope.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #663626 12th Nov 2017 4:19am
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Pickles wrote:
Nope, I reckon to leave things as they are.
I mean, how often does this stuff happen? If what has happened is a warning to us all, then IMHO perhaps we will all be more aware in the future if we wish to purchase something, not only on this site, but anywhere.
Perhaps if one looks in hindsight (yeah, I know, it's a wonderful thing!), but maybe one might just realize a few checks one could've made, that will definitely be made next time, to prevent a repeat of this?
Perhaps some of you guys that are astute, more used to on line purchasing etc, can suggest a few checks that you do, combining to make up a site "checklist" etc?
Pickles.

Leaving things as they are is allowing hope to triumph over reality Pickles - it doesn't work, and the main reason it won't work is these scummy types have a bush telegraph, once they get a feed at the swine trough the site earns a reputation as easy scamming for them.

If we don't try to increase the prospects of consequences for these sorts of actions we will just become more attractive targets to them.

Remember, this guy got away with about AU$12,000 in loot - it is an attractive haul for the next scammer

Can we eliminate the problem? No, of course not, but we should still think about improving our defences and start devising better precautions. ****CENSORED****

Last edited by RockJaw on 12th Nov 2017 10:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #663627 12th Nov 2017 4:59am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Rockjaw,..."Improving our defences & devising better precautions", is what I'm talking about.
Ya can't have the same defence against everything & everyone, but a devised series of checks before committing dollars would go a long way to safeguarding your hardearned?
Pickles.
Post #663633 12th Nov 2017 7:53am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
What about a simple Feedback thread? Thank you thread ?? in the for sale section. Easy reference and can add to it Thumbs Up
Post #663634 12th Nov 2017 8:01am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
What about an escrow system? Payment made to Defender2 administrators, not released until buyer is happy with the goods? Could even be done through PayPal's friends payment system to avoid charges.
Small fee to help fund the site.

I recently sold some seat bases through here. First sale, but all went smoothly.

Probably needs some fine-tuning as I have no idea the number of transactions involved.
Post #663636 12th Nov 2017 8:25am
TVR Tommy

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
What about all items in an ad must have a piece of paper hand written in the frist picture with your forum name and the date of the item going live on def2. This at least shows that the item is in possession of the seller.

People should do the purchasing openly on the thread not hidden in pm’s. ie pm sent.

Another forum i’m on people put OHPF (on hold pending funds) as soon as someone has committed to buy an item. No money has changed hands at this point. They also have a hero’s and villains part of the forum where you can leave feed back.

It’s a real disappointment this has happened. But easy money for the criminally minded. I’ve put myself in the firing line to be ripped off in the past. But I find the for sale section great and i’ve bought a lot off used bits off Def2. It’ll be a real shame to loose it.
Post #663639 12th Nov 2017 9:03am
flydive

Switzerland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
NoDo$h wrote:
There are a few who are part of the furniture on more than one of Martin's sites. I think of you as a rather well kept Chesterfield Thumbs Up

Mr. Green Embarassed
Post #663647 12th Nov 2017 10:12am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Firstly let me say I am sad to read some folks have been scammed. I'm not sure exactly what happened but it is horrible to not only lose money but the feeling of being duped in this way.

However some of the talk on this and the other thread seems way OTT to me and gives an extremely poor impression of this forum and it's members. IMO the rules currently in place, Paypal or payment on collection are as near fullproof as possible. Paypal not only guarantees you get your money refunded if you do not receive the goods but also gives recourse should they not be as advertised. If a seller does not accept paypal then rightly or wrongly, like many, i would always assume the seller/goods dubious and walk away.
As mentioned above a feedback/thank you thread would help give peace of mind and it does work very well on other forums. As does feedback on the individual sale threads. This in particular gives other potential buyers an idea of reliability, time taken to post and stops dead any chance of one item being sold multiple times.

Anyway just my 2 cents. It's still a great forum and thank you to Martin for the great work.

Last edited by Zed on 12th Nov 2017 10:51pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #663649 12th Nov 2017 10:31am
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
AMBxx wrote:
What about an escrow system? Payment made to Defender2 administrators, not released until buyer is happy with the goods? Could even be done through PayPal's friends payment system to avoid charges.
Small fee to help fund the site.

I recently sold some seat bases through here. First sale, but all went smoothly.

Probably needs some fine-tuning as I have no idea the number of transactions involved.

Agreed - but some people don't trust Paypal - and who can blame them?

In these instances perhaps a "PayPal only" policy for everyone and where that is impossible the forum could itself open a bank account to accept funds for those who do not/will not accept Paypal (escrow) and once the sale & delivery is concluded the non-PayPal member will be paid from that account minus a small transaction fee to cover costs.

We would need to examine the legal implications of doing this though ****CENSORED****
Post #663848 12th Nov 2017 10:39pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I'm in the supreme clothing 'hype'

Clothing that can sell for 5-10x its original costs...

the group is very strict due to the number of scammers and fakes floating about - we don't have a problem with the items being fake,

tagged pictures are required for all items advertised - this could of helped here but not fool proof..

we could start a legit check thread, people either post screen shots with names of people they have done trades with to verify them as reputable, there is then a list in the first post of everyone who is confirmed as genuine..
Post #663853 12th Nov 2017 10:54pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
a couple of effective things I've seen work on other forums;

- buyer / seller feedback thread

- every item must have a photo with your username displayed with it - ie a piece of paper with your user name and the date.

- all negotiations in open forum, not via pm

- Paypal only

obviously not totally fool proof or easily police-able - but seem to work. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #663855 12th Nov 2017 10:58pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
RockJaw wrote:

Agreed - but some people don't trust Paypal - and who can blame them?

If you ask who owns paypal you may get the answer to your question!

Brendan
Post #663866 12th Nov 2017 11:37pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Based on my own experiences PayPal may protect buyers, but leaves sellers very vulnerable to fraud. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #663869 12th Nov 2017 11:44pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
^^^ in which case, do we now need a list of vetted and approved buyers as well as sellers?
Post #663873 12th Nov 2017 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>