↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > Buying warning, using transfers and responses to wanted ads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
DOOFER

I wonder how many people were affected and how much for DON'T PANIC
Post #663549 11th Nov 2017 8:10pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Great advice,

The idea of Kudos 'points' is there any way this can be set up, So sales are backed up with the buyers offering points somehow as a good seller?

Just a thought, or when someone offers an item for sale other members that have had a good transaction in the past leave a post to say so in the advert thread.

Real shame this person has done this to so many users.

Still the best car forum I've ever been a member on. Thumbs Up
Post #663554 11th Nov 2017 8:27pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have not been caught in this.
But i would not like the forum to change too much.
I have bought a lot of stuff on here and never had any problems.
I think we all have to be a bit more vigilant but i doubt much more can be done...
I feel sorry for everyone that lost money and for Martin...
There should be a way of people finding out who this person is.
Good luck to everyone.

Fabio
Post #663557 11th Nov 2017 8:42pm
Slideywindows

England 
I've been reading the other thread on this.

He clearly went to a lot of trouble to create a lot of grief for people, and destroyed their trust along the way.

I think there are one or two on here who are not at all happy about this, and simply won't take it lying down.

I hope they find him...... Evil or Very Mad
Post #663593 11th Nov 2017 10:18pm
th1208

United Kingdom 
I was one of the unfortunate ones taken to the tune of £200. So I'm a little poorer but a lot wiser this week.

I have reported all the details to action fraud as has at least one other member. Not holding my breath for any result though.

I would like to echo that I have bought many items off the forum and , until now, all the transactions were completely honest and trustworthy.
Cheers Tony
Post #663657 12th Nov 2017 10:07am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Reported my loss by phone to my local police, ( I am on holiday at the moment, ), and not surprisingly they are not interested. They tell me that this is a civil matter and is down to me to take any lawful action that I choose. Sorry response, but probably a sign of the times. If I was driving at 32 in a 30 limit I bet they would have time for that?
It seems that for the police to take any interest in a "crime", there needs to be some profit and/or income in it for them such as a fine.
I do not see that the sort of offences that we have just suffered can be deterred when there is no downside or price to pay by the offender. I think that this has become a very sad country to live in and , especially today when we observe the rememberance day , I wonder what those who gave their all would think Sad Sad
I am now considering writing to my MP on this matter to get some clarification on the police response.
Any others have any thoughts on this? 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #663701 12th Nov 2017 1:22pm
th1208

United Kingdom 
Sadly with all the cutbacks and "efficiency" savings that the Police have had and are still enduring, they no longer have the resources to pursue such crimes. They have to prioritise and this class of crime isn't viable for them any longer.

Any complaints need to focus on more funding for the Police and other essential services such as NHS etc.

I speak as the partner of a long serving police officer who has seen the effects of the cutbacks at first hand.

Cheers Tony
Post #663704 12th Nov 2017 1:34pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Yes the sad reality is the Police are under funded and like all of us have to prioritise. Much of their efforts go unseen. Cyber crime is growing but they have to prioritise towards issues such as child se....exploitation, drugs & terrorisum. A bobby on the beat is reassuring but believe me they are working very hard behind the scenes to make sure our lifestyle is preserved.

I think it is up to all of us collectively to agree a way forward and not rely on others or blame the Police. We have been given some sound advice already. Much speak about Paypal and charges but in my case I would have gladly added £5 to the cost if it meant not loosing everything to someone who thinks it easier to pray on good folk than go out an earn a living like most of us.
Thumbs Up 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #663706 12th Nov 2017 1:59pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Fair enough ! What can we actually do to penalise this individual in some way. It would seem that it would be pointless to try and recover any monies directly fom him as this has long since been dispersed to other locations.. Is there any can bring any sort of private prosecution against this person? A small claims court may be able to issue a CCJ against him ,(he is unlikely to defend it). If successful this could at some time be given to bailiffs if he is ever located , or it would at least be a record against his name. I do not know if this can be done on a group basis or would have to be done individually. I do not think the costs are high but it would depend on people's losses or principals as to whether they would proceed.
Any thoughts
Brian 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #663708 12th Nov 2017 2:27pm
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
seriesonenut wrote:
Yes the sad reality is the Police are under funded and like all of us have to prioritise. Much of their efforts go unseen. Cyber crime is growing but they have to prioritise towards issues such as child se....exploitation, drugs & terrorisum. A bobby on the beat is reassuring but believe me they are working very hard behind the scenes to make sure our lifestyle is preserved.

I think it is up to all of us collectively to agree a way forward and not rely on others or blame the Police. We have been given some sound advice already. Much speak about Paypal and charges but in my case I would have gladly added £5 to the cost if it meant not loosing everything to someone who thinks it easier to pray on good folk than go out an earn a living like most of us.
Thumbs Up

The only thing worse than a scammer is a low life useless police man.

This is NOT a civil matter, it IS a criminal matter.

Am I the only victim left who is not willing to happily be cucked like some spineless moron? FFS!

I am in Australia and I have insisted on a criminal docket being opened even though this filthy crook is in the UK

I have also offered to PAY for and appoint a UK lawyer to help BUT SOMEBODY in the UK needs to step up to the plate and add a little weight, surely we aren't ALL a bag of hopeless losers! ****CENSORED****
Post #663742 12th Nov 2017 4:42pm
Pat

Wales 
Totally agree!!!

Come on guys, we can't let this go.

I can't see us getting anywhere as individuals, surely some kind of collective approach is needed. RockJaw is offering help from afar, others are throwing in their IT skills, I've read posts that suggest we have members with a legal background - lets use what we've got to get this guy.

I'm not the most aggressive of people, but I'm still fuming enough to join a lynching party (and that's not my style), but surely we have a legal system in this country that "should" be after this kind of criminal - lets rattle some cages, knock on some doors, wake a few people up - whatever it takes.

Martin set up the fraud section, can we not keep our discussion in there, things relating to our scam are being posted all over the place and it's hard to keep track. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #663757 12th Nov 2017 5:50pm
zaz9

Malaysia 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Fuji White
I'm gutted that a lot of good people here has been scammed. It ruins the trust of fellow members and I hope it doesn't happen again. One thing I do agree is the suggestion of not having to pm bids or offers, it will stop the scammers from selling the same thing to multiple people.

Anyways, good luck to all that are affected and I hope they manage to find the guy. 1997 Defender 90 300Tdi SW
2002 Defender 110 300tdi HCPU (Dad's)
Post #663885 13th Nov 2017 4:37am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Swine&Small wrote:
Reported my loss by phone to my local police, ( I am on holiday at the moment, ), and not surprisingly they are not interested. They tell me that this is a civil matter and is down to me to take any lawful action that I choose. Sorry response, but probably a sign of the times. If I was driving at 32 in a 30 limit I bet they would have time for that?
It seems that for the police to take any interest in a "crime", there needs to be some profit and/or income in it for them such as a fine.
I do not see that the sort of offences that we have just suffered can be deterred when there is no downside or price to pay by the offender. I think that this has become a very sad country to live in and , especially today when we observe the rememberance day , I wonder what those who gave their all would think Sad Sad
I am now considering writing to my MP on this matter to get some clarification on the police response.
Any others have any thoughts on this?

I suspect that whoever you spoke to does not know the law , or just wants a quiet life.

I have included the definitions of theft and Fraud should you want to recontact them.

Theft............A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

Fraud by false representation
(1)
A person is in breach of this section if he—
(a)
dishonestly makes a false representation, and
(b)
intends, by making the representation—
(i)
to make a gain for himself or another, or
(ii)
to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.
(2)
A representation is false if—
(a)
it is untrue or misleading, and
(b)
the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.
(3)
“Representation” means any representation as to fact or law, including a representation as to the state of mind of—
(a)
the person making the representation, or
(b)
any other person.
(4)
A representation may be express or implied.
(5)
For the purposes of this section a representation may be regarded as made if it (or anything implying it) is submitted in any form to any system or device designed to receive, convey or respond to communications (with or without human intervention). Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #663924 13th Nov 2017 10:48am
deaallen

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Could someone please direct me to the other thread regarding Coatseyyy. I got stung by the very cheap startech steering wheel he was apparently selling. Embarassed
Post #664288 14th Nov 2017 5:12pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
PM replied to  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #664289 14th Nov 2017 5:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>