Home > Technical > Possible Head Gasket
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Griefa

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 n/a Diesel HT Alaska White
Possible Head Gasket
Good evening!

New to the forum. Picked myself up a 1989 2.5 4C 110 a few weeks ago, and already run into an issue (never to put me off...).

History of the 110:

- done 2,000 over 10 years
- 32k on the clock
- ex-mod

Issue:

- Possible head gasket failure
- Milky residue on oil filler (breather) cap
- Oil looks like crap
- some water in exhaust, although after had been been sat for a week after saw milky cap. Never had this before, which is why I'm slightly worried (will try and attach a video once I've figured that out!)

Observations:

- Oil change done today just to see if it was a build up of condensation over a long period of it not being driven
- Checked coolant, which seemed a little low, but 200 miles driven with temp never going over a 3rd of the way (not that I ever trust temps on cars...)
- Checked coolant - which seems to just be water... (Coolant being flushed etc this week if not gasket)
- Tapping on engine which I had been told previously was normal, but then again, I don't like tapping as it's usually a bad sound!
- No bubbling in coolant overflow when engine running

It's booked into a garage for tomorrow to see if it is obviously the head gasket, but not a huge amount of white smoke/steam.

So... All I'm really asking:

- Am I screwed?
- If it is the head gasket, what kind of cost (if anyone has experience) would I be looking at?
- Has anyone tried the Steel Seal Head Gasket repair stuff? 50% off with Euro Car Parts atm. Worth a punt?

Thanks in advance, nd sorry about the lists!

Cheers,
L

Water from exhaust

Click image to enlarge

Coolant Colour

Click image to enlarge

Oil colour

Click image to enlarge

Rad Cap (Clean)

Click image to enlarge

Milky Oil Cap

Click image to enlarge

VIDEOS:

Exhaust (cold start)

Engine sound (tapping)[/img][/url]
Post #666466 23rd Nov 2017 6:33pm
Griefa

Just as a follow up. Took it to the garage for a second opinion, and wasn't the head gasket. A lot of condensation burning off after a week of sitting. Agreed that milky crud was probably from it not being used so long.

Although definitely going to drain the water and add some coolant today!!! Laughing
Post #666614 24th Nov 2017 10:46am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I'd be giving it a good couple of full services in the next couple of weeks and keep a close eye on it for the next six months with the look of the oil in that bottle. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #666616 24th Nov 2017 10:51am
Griefa

Thanks Mk1.

Picked up a few gallons of oil and a couple of filters to do just that. Cap still slightly condensate-y, so will do so every 500 miles or so just to keep an eye on it.

Not worth wrecking a head for the cost of a few pints!

If anyone was looking at oil etc, 50% off at Euro Car Parts today. Black Friday and all that crap.
Post #666620 24th Nov 2017 11:00am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Griefa. No you are not screwed and do not put that quick fix stuff in to your engine. It should only be regarded as a get you home fix.

Before worrying too much just bear in mind that 200/300TDI engines (which are pretty much a direct replacement) are going for 4/500 - 1300 for a brand new rend unit. So don't go throwing away your hard earned on an engine that is woefully underpowered. Unless of course you are keeping it completely original.

Dare I mention V8... Whistle

Seriously though do not fret it is all solvable.
Post #666625 24th Nov 2017 11:16am
dorsetsmith

Griefa wrote:
Thanks Mk1.

Picked up a few gallons of oil and a couple of filters to do just that. Cap still slightly condensate-y, so will do so every 500 miles or so just to keep an eye on it.

(Not worth wrecking a head) for the cost of a few pints!

If anyone was looking at oil etc, 50% off at Euro Car Parts today. Black Friday and all that crap.

thank for that information Thumbs Up

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 24th Nov 2017 5:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #666634 24th Nov 2017 12:09pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
just remember its done little for a long time emulsification i was common on cars that are left standing for a period of time run it keep a eye on your oil and water levels to fully eliminate and for peace of mind you could have a pressure test done water will draw up a exhaust when its warm and come out when its started do not go spending loads of your hard earned just yet all the best andy
Post #666643 24th Nov 2017 12:58pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
A good service with new fluids/filters and a decent run (50 miles or more) to give the engine some work to do may be all it needs.
Post #666673 24th Nov 2017 3:46pm
Griefa

Thanks very much for he input gents. I had flash backs to my old Hilux. Unkillable my arse...

Anyways, it's had a good run around today, and will have a couple of hundred miles done over the weekend (with some load), so we'll see how that goes. Probably oil/filter change on Monday for good measure.

Managed to siphon off a bit of the coolant off to check it wasn't actually just water. Which it wasn't... But it is orange (and pretty bloody clean looking which saved a job this afternoon at least). Going to start a new thread on that though, only orange stuff I know of is Dexcool, and people tend to say it's the devil. Laughing
Post #666687 24th Nov 2017 4:53pm
Griefa

Also came across this.

Mate gave me an estimate of around 800 quid for a head gasket replacement. But the link looks like it could be done on a free Sunday. It's for a N/A Diesel, but guess it's pretty much the same for the Petrol.
Post #666689 24th Nov 2017 5:00pm
dorsetsmith

work shop Manuel for LR 2.25 petrol and V8, TDI

see link below

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtZSoWFHDgnGhUfhpexEdGpupY2Q
Post #666692 24th Nov 2017 5:28pm
dorsetsmith

Griefa wrote:
Thanks very much for he input gents. I had flash backs to my old Hilux. Unkillable my arse...

Anyways, it's had a good run around today, and will have a couple of hundred miles done over the weekend (with some load), so we'll see how that goes. Probably oil/filter change on Monday for good measure.

Managed to siphon off a bit of the coolant off to check it wasn't actually just water. Which it wasn't... But it is orange (and pretty bloody clean looking which saved a job this afternoon at least). Going to start a new thread on that though, only orange stuff I know of is Dexcool, and people tend to say it's the devil. Laughing

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html
Post #666697 24th Nov 2017 5:48pm
Griefa

Bloody good bedtime read! Cheers Smith Thumbs Up MAY MY ENEMIES LIVE LONG, SO THAT THEY MAY SEE MY PROGRESS
Post #666699 24th Nov 2017 5:50pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Griefa, that oil looked like my rover metros oil when the head gasket had gone. But if its been laid up and done next to no miles then id say it could be that it needs a good service and a good run, like people have said.
Check the dipstick after you have give it a service and a good run as mentioned Ie some use. If you see Milky Oil like you have in the cap, then the head gasket is failing.

Edit my dad said they may have put two different oils in too, so that could be what it might be, he said give it a right old flush, before hand. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #666752 24th Nov 2017 10:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1