↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Out Of Fuel - Lucky Or What?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Out Of Fuel - Lucky Or What?
We’ve just come back from France in two vehicles, the missus driving the truck (2.4 TDCI). We overnighted in Escalles (went for a walk on the beach where the local Gendarmerie were sorting out the 17 survivors of an abortive dinghy crossing… they’ll probably have stolen another one by now and made it across), she said the low fuel warning light had just come on.

“No problem” says I, “next petrol station only 17 km, even if it went into limp mode before then I’ve a 5-litre can of diesel”

After breakfast we hadn’t gone far before she pulled over, “Don’t know about limp mode, but it is hesitating a bit”. Put in the 5 litres, drove to the petrol station with no problem, switched off, filled the truck and reserve can.

And then… NOTHING! No fuel coming through at all… one of the attendants came over to advise, “You’ve got air in the system” “Oh, really?” “Yeah, pump the hand pump and/or hit the throttle a few times...” He then lifted the bonnet to find, surprise surprise, modern cars don’t have a purge screw or hand pump. Not fazed in the least, he jumped in the driver’s seat and while spinning the engine for a couple of minutes (yes, I’ve a good battery) pumped the accelerator pedal at least 200 times.

And yes, it fired! We caught our ferry, the attendant made a joke about it all being part of “the Total Service” and it all ended well.

Having heard stories of tow trucks,vacuum pumps and expensive callouts, lucky or what?

Observations?

Peter
Post #848715 8th Aug 2020 9:43pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Observations:-

1. The 2.4 low-fuel strategy is to introduce a misfire (to simulate traditional running-out-of-fuel symptoms) then eventually kill the engine. The engine can be restarted about three times and the cycle repeats, until eventually it decides that you are daft and refuses to start. It will not put the engine into limp mode, and it will kill the engine before air is drawn into the fuel system.

2. You can drive at least 50 miles on normal roads in a heavily laden 110 after the light comes on before the low-fuel strategy is initiated.

3. Pumping the throttle will do nothing except maybe give him an RSI injury to the ankle.

4. It is hard to understand how your experience was due to low fuel, based on what you describe, unless for some reason your Defender is not behaving correctly.

5. Glad you got home OK.
Post #848722 8th Aug 2020 10:16pm
MikeJ

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
Not sure about the 50 Miles (in a 2.2 at least).
This was 18 miles from the light coming on...
It was still running. This was the cherry picker, so the full 3.5 tonnes, but still...
I think the low fuel warning could do with coming on earlier - I have a 110 as well and it doesn't change my opinion!
Mike

Click image to enlarge
Post #849036 10th Aug 2020 1:59pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
From the 2007 Workshop Manual (2.4):

"LOW FUEL INDICATION AND RUN DRY STRATEGY
The run-dry strategy is used to maintain the systems fuel prime at fuel run out. It ensures the minimum amount of fuel is always left in the swirl pot. The instrument cluster activates the yellow low fuel warning light, (next to the fuel gauge) with 15% of fuel remaining in the tank.

The fuel gauge will indicate empty with 11% of fuel left in the tank.

With 4 liters left in the tank the run-dry strategy will be invoked. An engine mis-fire will be induced for approximately 1 mile after which the engine will be shut down. The engine can be re-started in mis-fire mode and will continue to run for a further mile until the engine shuts down again. This can be repeated until the fuel suction port in the tank is uncovered and causes engine fuel starvation and loss of prime. Re-starts after run-dry shut down are not recommended."

From the 2012 Workshop Manual (2.2):

LOW FUEL INDICATION AND RUN DRY STRATEGY
The run-dry strategy is used to maintain the systems fuel prime at fuel run out. It ensures the minimum amount of fuel is always left in the swirl pot. The instrument cluster activates the yellow low fuel warning light (next to the fuel gauge) with 17% of fuel remaining in the tank.

The fuel gauge will indicate empty with 12% of fuel left in the tank.

With 6 liters left in the tank the run-dry strategy will be invoked. An engine mis-fire will be induced for approximately 1 mile after which the engine will be shut down. The engine can be re-started in mis-fire mode and will continue to run for a further mile until the engine shuts down again. This can be repeated until the fuel suction port in the tank is uncovered and causes engine fuel starvation and loss of prime. Re-starts after run-dry shut down are not recommended."
Post #849071 10th Aug 2020 3:46pm
MikeJ

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
Am I right in thinking that the 2.2 is self priming?
Does that mean this feature isn't in the 2.2?

Cheers

Mike
Post #849073 10th Aug 2020 3:52pm
blackwolf

The second half of Supacat's post above is for the 2.2.

It is interesting to be reminded of the relevant levels of fuel remaining. I have on more than one occasion driven for 50 miles after the light has come on without the "run dry strategy" initiating a misfire (which is about right for 15% of fuel remaining at light-on time), but it is worth remembering that the only way that the vehicle has of knowing how much fuel is in the tank is the tank sender. My experiences, and it would seem from other posts on here, that of a significant number of others is that there is a huge variation in sender performance and linearity, and this will affect greatly the low fuel performance.

My original (2007) sender would remain above the full mark for about 100 miles, would then work in a fairly linear fashion for the next 200 miles, and then plummet like a stone in a well for the last 100 miles. I replaced this after the outlet spigots rusted and split the plastic housing causing a fuel leak. My replacement (2018 or so) sender is much more predictable in its performance to all intents and purposes is linear throughout its range, showing 3/4 full after 100 miles, 1/2 after 200, 1/4 after 300 miles, and the light comes on around 375 or thereabouts (obviously all are approximate and depend on driving style, load, and most significantly how much driving above 60mph I have been doing). I haven't tried driving 50 miles after the light comes on with the new sender, and on reflection I doubt that I would be able to.

Running a 2.4 completely out of fuel is inconvenient due to the need to bleed (although this is not as difficult as some would have you believe). I do not know if you would need to bleed a 2.2, logic suggests not, but I don't know if there is a TD5-style procedure defined for the 2.2
Post #849086 10th Aug 2020 4:27pm
Supacat

The 2.2 manual contains a procedure for bleeding but I think from anecdotes on here it has not been necessary for some people.

1.Disconnect the fuel injection pump supply line.
For additional information, refer to: Quick Release
Coupling (310-00, General Procedures).
Position an absorbent cloth to collect any fluid
spillage.

2. Install the special tool.
Operate the hand pressure pump special tool
until fuel starts to flow through the clear plastic
pipe and the special tool becomes firm.

3. Remove the special tool.

4. Connect the fuel injection pump supply line.
For additional information, refer to: Quick Release Coupling (310-00,
General Procedures).
Remove the absorbent cloth.

Post #849094 10th Aug 2020 4:45pm
blackwolf

^^ Isn't that the same as for the 2.4? In which case it is possible that LR simply omitted to update the WSM to reflect the return to a tank-mounted LP pump.

The Puma WSM is disappointing in many ways due to the failure to update the TD5 manual to match the 2.4 and, I suspect, a similar failure to update the 2.4 to match the 2.2.
Post #849127 10th Aug 2020 6:19pm
Supacat

I'll check tomorrow ~ but it would be in keeping, and an apparent tradition it's thought worthy to carry over to the new one and the iGuide.
Post #849144 10th Aug 2020 6:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
This is why I rarely ever run below a quarter of a tank, and I've never run it so low until that dash light comes on.
Much rather carry extra fuel instead, with a 90 I find I often have to anyway. Very Happy Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #849167 10th Aug 2020 8:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1