↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New batteries
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
18stone

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
New batteries
To date, I've always had Optimas (yellow & red) for my twin set up. Now I'm about to set up a twin battery system on my new'un, are there new competitors to Optima that are better? Odyssey, for example? Is the National Luna management system still 'up there' as a leading system or have others improved upon the technology and usability? IBS? Genisys (sp)?

Cheers,

Ade D300 HSE 110
Post #61811 2nd Mar 2011 3:19pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The Optima red top(50 Ah) is considered to be a starter battery and the yellow battery (55 Ah) is a combined starter/leisure battery with CCA of 840 amps.

Whereas the Optimas used to be considered the best battery available that claim is probably now with Odyssey batteries.

The Optima and the Odyssey 1500 (68 Ah) with CCA of 880 amps are very similar size however the Odyssey is considerably heavier around 3-5 kg heavier. Why? More lead plates really as you can fit more in a rectangular volume then the 6 spiral cans of the Optima which has dead space due to cylinder packing.

Possible depth of discharge DOD on Odyssey is 80% whilst possible to start engine at 70% DOD. Can not readily find DOD on Optimas.

I used to run on twin Yellow tops, but after they died have fitted twin Odyssey 1700 in red 110, twin Odyssey 1500 in black 110 and a Odyssey 1500 in D2

Have the Genysis management system in red 110 and the IBS in black 110. I prefer the IBS system as the Genysis system seems not to like it if one battery goes very low, (goes through continuous start sequence loop). The IBS system also gives an audible warning of a low battery status whereas the Genysis system only gives a visual one.

Have not used the National Luna system so can not comment on that system.

I would recommend twin Odyssey 1500 and an IBS. Yes you can get twin 1700's in a Defender battery box but it is a tight squeeze

HTH

Brendan
Post #61835 2nd Mar 2011 6:20pm
18stone

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Thanks Thumbs Up D300 HSE 110
Post #61844 2nd Mar 2011 7:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1