↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 3 Amigos.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lightningtweeds

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
3 Amigos.
Now permanently on and i am going to have a go at removing the Wabco ABS pump and replace the shuttle valve myself. Any step by step guides as to removal preferably without removing the wing or is this the best way?
Any guidance would be great.
Post #658016 18th Oct 2017 5:56am
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
The guy who did mine didn't remove the wing completely he managed by just loosening some of the bolts.
My truck is a 07 90 and I had had a few issues with the ABS until the lights came on all the time. I gave it to my mechanic friend after everyone said it would need replacing at up to £1500 for a replacement. He said I'll take it apart and have a look!!! I went in a couple of days later to see lots of little parts on the bench. What he found was that a small bearing on the end of the pump motor was rusty and had seized stopping the pump from running. He got a bearing from a local supplier for a couple of quid packed the housing with grease and put it back together, that was 3 years ago and has been no bother since.
He did say it was a bit of a bar steward ,and he had never done one before , but he got it fixed and I was happy to let him have a look.
Good luck,

Nick
Post #658022 18th Oct 2017 7:21am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I take it you have checked for the problem with diagnostics so you're not chasing the wrong problem? On my Td5 I'm sure the modulator block is in the same place as on your tdci, open the bonnet and it's to the left of the servo and half under the wing next to the wing air intake. I changed the shuttle valve assembly that's under the block by going in through the wing vent and over the top of the wing. I left all the hydraulic lines intact just undid the mounting bracket that bolts to the bulkhead, removed the bracket and held the block up from above to give me a little more room.
Yes it was like trying to do keyhole surgery with a blindfold but doable without needing a whole workshop of tools Thumbs Up
Post #658072 18th Oct 2017 11:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1